Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ALinChainz
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Portland would have to have something ... someone would step up and buy the team ...

That has to be an alternative right?

Comment

• Romeo Delight
      ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Who has seen Lebron lately?

I think he is the only player that cannot be defended, going to the hole.

When he wants to penetrate, there is no stopping him.

It is like man against boys

I think I like his style of play when he plays a liitle more "selfishly" for lack of a better word.

(I don't want to bring up killer instinct again)
      sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Romeo Delight
        ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by ALinChainz
        Portland would have to have something ... someone would step up and buy the team ...

That has to be an alternative right?
        You know someone with deeper pockets, willing to lose tens of millions a year?

I have a bad feeling about Portland, although Vancouver may not be their destination.
        sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• ALinChainz
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

His last month has been huge ... his first game winner, a playoff birth for the Cavs ... the last being when he was in the 7th grade ...

His size and skill going to the hole would be enough, but the perimiter game is becoming just as lethal. I don't see as much of him, but it seems like when that jumper becomes more consistent, look the fuck out.

Comment

• Romeo Delight
            ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I saw him drain some threes effortlessly a couple of days ago...it is scary
            sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• ALinChainz
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Yeah ... when that shit is happening ... you're better off just shutting everyone else down ... cuz he's gettin' his ...

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

The NBA has pulled out of negotiations between the Portland Trail Blazers and owners of the Rose Garden to reach an agreement that would help sell the team to a prospective buyer, league commissioner David Stern said.

PORTLAND, Ore. -- The NBA pulled out of negotiations Thursday between the Portland Trail Blazers and Rose Garden owners intended to help sell the team and its home arena.

Last month, Blazers owner Paul Allen said the team was hemorrhaging money and appealed for a public partnership to keep it afloat. Allen suggested he may have to sell the team if a solution could not be found.

Representatives for Allen met with city and state officials, but the billionaire co-founder of Microsoft had expressed frustration with the owners of the Rose Garden.

The arena was originally financed by Allen without public money. But the team's sister company, Oregon Arena Corp., declared bankruptcy in 2004 and Allen chose to give up ownership rather than continue to pay interest on construction debt.

As a result, team revenue has declined sharply, along with ticket sales, down by a third from five years ago.

Allen has estimated the team will lose some $100 million over the next three seasons.

In a statement released Thursday, commissioner David Stern said the league has attempted for the past six weeks to broker a deal "to sell the team and the arena to one of several prospective purchasers that we have identified."

"Unfortunately, the arena owners have not offered any constructive response to these efforts and recently advised us that they are satisfied with the status quo. Accordingly, we have advised both parties that we have withdrawn from the process," Stern's statement said.

Richard Josephson, a board member for Portland Arena Management, the company formed to represent the lenders who now own the Rose Garden, said the group met with representatives for Allen and the commissioner whenever asked.

"We thought there were ongoing discussions," Josephson said. "We've never been presented a specific proposal, either as to price or as to buyer, to consider. We have been talking and indicated out willingness to continue to talk, and did not find Mr. Stern's decision to issue that press release particularly helpful to the process."

Andy Brimmer, a spokesman for Allen, said Allen remains willing to work with Portland Arena Management, "but as the NBA indicated, to date PAM has not been responsive."

"We appreciate the positive working relationship we've developed with the city and we'll continue working with them to find a solution," Brimmer said.

Some have criticized Allen's plea -- first made at the NBA trade deadline -- considering he ranks among the world's richest men.

Allen made his first comments to reporters about the situation during halftime of the Blazers' loss to the Los Angeles Clippers on Sunday, insisting that the "financial model is broken" when it comes to the team. He appealed for cooperation.

"Right now you've got one major party in this whole thing that's on the sidelines, they're not saying anything. ... They have to be part of a solution to leave the franchise in a healthy state," he said.

When asked if he saw himself as owner of the team next season, Allen replied, "Unclear."

Not looking good at all.

Doesn't look like this can be fixed.
                sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• seenbad
                  Commando
                  • Jan 2004

Damon Stoudamier may be putting together some investment money with some folks out of Texas and Florida as well as some cabbage from his own pockets that would give him controlling interest, which would almost make certain that the team would stay in Portland. He still has a house here and digs this town ....

....there are a lot of stoners here.
                  sheepa lotta peepa dahba looka fo uh moopy

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

The great thing about LeBron...is that he hit his "first" game winner...

as well as was able to find the hot hand for 2 or 3 other game winners all within a week...

he has a great combination now...of gaining that killer instinct that we talked about so voraciously before...

and being able to pass out of triple teams at the end of the game to the guys that are burying game winners...

he's an incredible fucking combination right now...and will only get better...
                    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

Damon Staudamire is putting together a group?

Are you allowed to be a player and an owner at the same time?

I remember that Magic had to give up his digs in what...1996...the year he came back...

Damon Staudamire...damn...that just seems weird to me...
                      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Warham
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

LeBron's pretty damn impressive, I must say.

I think he passes very well, has good rebounding skills, and has decent to good shot selection.

Shot selection is key, and it's the real reason Kobe isn't on Jordan's level. That career .451 shooting percentage just doesn't cut it.

I think Jordan's was well above 52% at one time in his career. He finished up right around .495 or so, only because of a few average seasons in Washington.

Comment

• seenbad
                          Commando
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin

I hear he's trying to get some talks going.

Are you allowed to be a player and an owner at the same time?
                          I doubt it, but I also don't think he'll be back playing again for a while. Have you seen the footage of that knee tweek??

Damon Staudamire...damn...that just seems weird to me...
                          Me too but hey, anything to keep my team in town.
                          sheepa lotta peepa dahba looka fo uh moopy

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

Yeah...I saw it...and I agree...

I still don't see another team in Vancouver...even though I know they could support one...

I think the NBA will allow Portland every opportunity to keep that team...

but you never know in this day and age...

Comment

• Brett
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                              FREE WEED FOR ALL THE PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                                ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

I think the Portland situation is going to reach a point of no return.

Allen can't make it work, so who can?

I am not aware of anyone willing to lose that kind of cash.

Here is an old article (Nov. 2005) but it outlines whay Allen
                                cannot continue:

Basically, not only does he not have advantage of sharing costs with another sports franchise for arena and its associated extra revenue streams (like Vancouver could offer)...

HE HAS NO SUCH REVENUES
                                FROM EVEN ONE TEAM BECAUSE HE DOESN'T OWN ARENA.

You could say that Allen is trying to negotiate a better deal with Rose Garden, but the situation looks impossible to work out.

Who can make this work? It is an unmanagable situation unless the Rose Garden and its people buy team.

Here are some exerpts explaining how impossible the present situation is...unfuckingbelievable:

"The result has been an unusual arrangement in which both the Trail Blazers and Global Spectrum sell tickets to Blazer games.

There are different groups selling different ticket packages, and there is probably some confusion among the fans,” said Allen, 52.

Competition for ticket buyers has made for some tense moments and an uneasy relationship between the Blazers and Global Spectrum, which controls suites, courtside and preferred seating for Blazer games and all tickets for other Rose Garden events. Allen’s seats beneath the basket at the Blazers’ end of the Rose Garden fall under Global Spectrum’s jurisdiction.
                                “We worked out an arrangement so I could retain my seats,” Allen says. “The whole thing is an odd situation.”

No fucking way. Allen had to beg for his own seats. This is so done. No way this business relationship can continue.

Someone make a case for the team staying in Portland.

For those Portland fans I am sorry. I know what losing your team would mean.
                                Last edited by Romeo Delight; 04-01-2006, 05:37 AM.
                                sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

Working...