X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

The binnie breakdown: Shane Mosley - Saul Alvarez

It breaks my heart to bet against Shane - one of the great fighters of our era and, in his prime, capable of giving anyone at 135-147 a hard night's work (well, except Mayweather ). But this is a fight in which an ageing star has been picked in order to allow a rising gun to make a name for himself and enter the big league $$$. Saul Alvarez hits hard, has good balance, picks his punches well and shows the ability to stalk his man down. I'm yet to be sold on the idea that he's the second coming, but his youth and relentlessness makes for bad news for 40 year old Mosley. Coming off losses to the pound for pound kings - Pacman and Money May - and a stinker against Sergio Mora (a tall, rangey fighter of the sort Shane has never looked good against) you'd have to question whether Shane is confident enough to meet the challenge posed by Alvarez. He's certainly the best fighter Alvarez has faced, and an upset is not out of the question - let us not forget that Shane was getting his ass handed to him by Ricardo Mayorga for 12 rounds until he sensationally KO'd him in the last 5 seconds. But against Manny, Shane looked like he'd lost the hunger, the drive. True, his refusal to stand toe to toe frustrated Manny, who won on workrate after the 4th round, but you sense that although he had Pacman off balance and frsutrated, Shane just doesn't have the timing any more to land the blows which were GLARINGLY OBVIOUS.

There's a narrative around that Mosely has been in decline for years, and that the decking of Margaritto was a one-off in a long time slippage. I think that's BS. Shane has always had ups and downs, and there's a case to be made that he won against Cotto (it was very close), for example. Personally, I think the Mayweather fight/humiliation shattered his confidence, and we've seen evidence of decline since. He'll have his moments early on tonight, and I doubt Alvarez can stop him, but I expect Shane to lose a fairly wide UD.

Breaks my heart - hope he retires afterwards.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2006

Mayweather UD

Alvarez UD

Cotto fought well and kept the pressure on throughout. Floyd fought in the pocket all night. Good fight.

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
        ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
        I will also say Alvarez by UD
        I will say Mayweather UD
        Oh yes
        I really love you baby, I love what you've got
        Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

I think we all got (virtually) paid

I think we should bet on Khan-Peterson II next. It's probably harder to call.

Kessler-Green is the same night, so maybe a double header?

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

I really hope Shane hangs 'em up now. He fought gamely last night, but he looked shot to bits.

I don't imagine Canello-Mayweather will happen (Oscar will protect his future cash-cow). Canello needs to fight the other champs at 154 and learn his craft - a Cotto fight down the line would be interesting.

Mayweather should think about the Berto-Ortiz II winner back at 147 (assuming Pacman is a boat that's sailed). Either guy is a good fight.

Comment

• So this is love
              Veteran
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by binnie
              I really hope Shane hangs 'em up now. He fought gamely last night, but he looked shot to bits.

I don't imagine Canello-Mayweather will happen (Oscar will protect his future cash-cow). Canello needs to fight the other champs at 154 and learn his craft - a Cotto fight down the line would be interesting.

Mayweather should think about the Berto-Ortiz II winner back at 147 (assuming Pacman is a boat that's sailed). Either guy is a good fight.
              Hi binnie,
              Newbie in the boxing thread...what do you think of the Bute vs Froch fight May 26th....I am a boxing fan and my favorite boxing matches were the Gatti-Ward trilogy back in the days...Cheers!
              Last edited by So this is love; 05-06-2012, 08:48 PM.
              Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• vandeleur
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Sep 2009

I think we all got (virtually) paid

I think we should bet on Khan-Peterson II next. It's probably harder to call.

Kessler-Green is the same night, so maybe a double header?

Yeah ... Every one gets their dollar back for mayweather points ... Except me lol
                And we all get our money back for Alvarez ...
                I'll check the odds for the above fights , hopefully they won't be so heavily backed in one persons favour as the last two fights , or we all get crazy with our dollar and bet rounds lol
                fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                  ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by So this is love
                  Hi binnie,
                  Newbie in the boxing thread...what do you think of the Bute vs Froch fight May 26th....I am a boxing fan and my favorite boxing matches were the Gatti-Ward trilogy back in the days...Cheers!
                  A new guy .

I am looking forward to that one but I think Bute will take it.If you look back a few pages we talked about Froch vs Bute (can't remember how much)

Feel free to jump in anytime So this is love.It will be nice having someone else in here,We have about five regular poster's in here (Me,Binnie,Vandeleur,Jhale and Sonrisa salvaje).We are all very nice .Welcome to the army boxing thread
                  I really love you baby, I love what you've got
                  Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

I think Bute-Froch is a pick 'em fight. Bute has been getting better and better - he has speed, picks his punches very well and has turned into a tasty body puncher.

But he's not fought anyone at Froch's level - you'd have to expect Froch to take him into the trenches. The question here is really whether Bute can keep his composure and stick to his boxing, rather than getting involved in a way. That's easier said that done with Froch - look at Jermain Taylor (a very good technician), who was 15 seconds away from beating Froch before BAM!

I certainly think that Froch is an easier fight for Bute than Kessler would have been, but I'm expecting it to be a battle. Bute is in Froch's town, and going to the cards is always risky in that situation.

Comment

• jhale667
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

I think the only guy I possibly like less than Froch is Bute, so hoping Froch knocks him the F out...
                      Originally posted by conmee
                      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                      Originally posted by eddie78
                      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• So this is love
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2012

A new guy .

I am looking forward to that one but I think Bute will take it.If you look back a few pages we talked about Froch vs Bute (can't remember how much)

Feel free to jump in anytime So this is love.It will be nice having someone else in here,We have about five regular poster's in here (Me,Binnie,Vandeleur,Jhale and Sonrisa salvaje).We are all very nice .Welcome to the army boxing thread
                        Thanks Dude, this just in...just learned that Bute has suffered a minor foot injury...anyways if Bute wins against Froch and it will not be a walk in the park especially in Froch territory ...this means a possible meeting with Andre Ward

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by jhale667
                          I think the only guy I possibly like less than Froch is Bute, so hoping Froch knocks him the F out...
                          How come you don't like Froch? He's great to watch and he'll fight anyone........

Comment

• So this is love
                            Veteran
                            • Jan 2012

I think Bute-Froch is a pick 'em fight. Bute has been getting better and better - he has speed, picks his punches very well and has turned into a tasty body puncher.

But he's not fought anyone at Froch's level - you'd have to expect Froch to take him into the trenches. The question here is really whether Bute can keep his composure and stick to his boxing, rather than getting involved in a way. That's easier said that done with Froch - look at Jermain Taylor (a very good technician), who was 15 seconds away from beating Froch before BAM!

I certainly think that Froch is an easier fight for Bute than Kessler would have been, but I'm expecting it to be a battle. Bute is in Froch's town, and going to the cards is always risky in that situation.
                            I agree with all you said, you have a point about Kessler being a tougher customer than Froch, it will be the most interesting Bute fight to watch so far...I'm not sold on Bute in this fight at all.

Comment

• jhale667
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

How come you don't like Froch? He's great to watch and he'll fight anyone........
                              True, his attitude kinda sucks IMO, he's beyond cocky - his girlfriend is hot, however.

I'd give him the edge over Bute.
                              Originally posted by conmee
                              If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                              Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                              I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                              Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                              Originally posted by eddie78
                              I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• binnie
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2006

Yeah, he is cocky and he does it without charm.

I expect Bute will win - largely because of his movement - but that is assuming that he can handle Froch's pressure and power.

Comment

Working...