X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Anyone see Lamont Peterson - Lucas Matthysse (140) on Saturday.

Mattyhsse punches like a motherfucker.......
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• vandeleur
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Sep 2009

Am waiting for the binnie break down on the froch Kessler war on Saturday .
      Really looking forward to this little gem
      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

The binnie Breakdown: Carl Froch vs Mikkel Kessler (168lbs)

This rematch is a genuine pick 'em fight between 2 of the top 3 fighters in the world at 168; and two of the toughest guys in boxing across the weight classes. Their first fight three years ago saw Kessler come out on top via points. On that occaision Froch struggled to handled Kessler's body work, and Kessler's fast hands and straighter punches meant that he came off better in the exchanges in what was a too-and-fro kind of fight. There is little reason to suspect that the rematch will be any less gruelling or thrilling. There are a few interesting factors, however. Froch has changed his style slightly, for one. Less keen to brawl for the sake of it, in fights against Glen Johnson and Arthur Abraham he showed the capacity to use his reach and break his man down behind the jab - and coming off a destruction of Lucian Bute can only have done his confidence wonders. Added into this that Carl geuinely seems to think he won the first fight (he didn't) and you have boxing's toughest on a mission. Whichever way you look at it, it's a tough night for Kessler.

Kessler has been less active since 2010, fighting only three times. That two of those fights - against Allan Green (at 175) and Brian Maggee - ended in brutal KO's is a sign that this is a guy who can bang, and his development of the body punching since working with trainer Jimmy Montoya is something which Froch and his camp will have to nulify to stand a chance. That being said, Kessler (despite being younger than Froch) might be the more ring worn of the two. Persistent injuries (eye, hand, back) have dogged him in recent years, and we might see that being the difference on Saturday. Added into Froch's hometown advantage (you have to figure that if it is close Froch will get the nod) Kessler is either going to have to stop Froch (which is unlikely) and win by a long, long way. Neither seems likely.

This all adds up to a close fight. I expect Froch to maintain distance this time round, and to stop Kessler working the body as much as possible. There will be exchanges, but Froch is getting Kessler on the slide I feel, and that will be the difference.

Froch by UD

(Hope I'm wrong: big Kessler fan, and if he is ageing better than I think a slow breaking down of Froch is not out of the question).

Comment

• vandeleur
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Sep 2009

Great break down , am going for froch UD. But fuck he will have to work for it.

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

I hope we're both wrong - Kessler is a real favourite of mine, and I'd hate to see him lose.

Fact is that neither of these guys can beat Andre Ward, so this really is only for bragging rights.....

Comment

• vandeleur
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Sep 2009

Yeah but ward isn't that exciting to watch ... This is the title fight for people who don't wanna watch spoilers .
              To be honest I know Kessler can bang and after bute I have more respect for froch's power . I did have a hunch if that's the word ( yeah hump back jokes aside ) that this wouldn't go to points . That maybe these warriors near the end would end up slugging it out.
              But my head ruled my hearts and I went with the UD.

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

Ward is a guy you watch and appreciate, but you don't necessarily root for.

Skills wise, he's on another planet.....

Comment

• vandeleur
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Sep 2009

I agree binnie , he is a class fighter . But I didn't really enjoy the ward Kessler fight .
                  Lots of clinching ,cuddling .. A bit of spooning

The ability to never get hit and his movement are second to none but its not always great to watch .

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

You forgot about the blatant head-butting in the Ward-Kessler fight

I think that Kessler and his team underestimated Ward (who was relatively unknown at the start of the super six) and under-prepared for him. The fact that his trainer was sacked straight about speaks volumes. A re-match would be closer, I feel. But I sense Ward's movement would always be Kessler's undoing.....

Comment

• vandeleur
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Sep 2009

Where do you think the winner on Saturday goes next , after the traditional threats of re matches .
                      Can't see either guys not wanting to revenge defeats against ward.

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

Well, Ward is struggling to get fights at the moment (he's cleaned out 168) so I can see a rematch benefitted all 3 guys in terms of $$$. I suspect neither Kessler or Froch think they can win, however.

For both guys, I think fights at 175 would be logical. The champions there are weak (if you forget about Chad Dawson) and retiring as a two weight champ is good for the ego.....

Comment

• vandeleur
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Sep 2009

should be good either way , plus it's not terrible that its on a uk time and pubs are open

Comment

• vandeleur
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Sep 2009

Right Ive gone back to the well had another think , I braved it out with Froch and Bute and was right.
                            So there was a decent radio program on 5live tonight about the first Froch Kessler .
                            It talked about the fight initially being off and then back on a couple of times and the problems of people getting to denmark for the fight due to the ash cloud.How the whole kessler fight was poorly prepared by the froch camp due to unforeseen circumstances caused by the icelandic ash cloud, even down to the flight to the fight which even now has Rob MCracken is shook up over it.
                            Froch even admitted in the dressing room he wasnt in the mood to fight and felt low on energy.
                            Any hoo am gonna get off the fence and going to go for froch in the very later rounds to tkd Kessler .
                            Yip I know Ive changed my mind but its more going with my gut feeling.
                            I know there similar ages but I feel Froch after the Bute fight is on the up and is going to be a better proposition than the last time he fought Kessler , were as that was a home crowd kessler at his best .
                            I think that Froch is fighting on home turf and he is so up for this I think he will stop kessler at the death of the fight.

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

I don't buy into the 'I was put off by the difficulties of getting to Denmark' line Froch has been selling us for 3 years - fighters will look hard for excuses when they lose. Fact is he couldn't handle to body shots and was coming off worse in the exchanges because Kessler's punches were straighter (and therefore quicker).

I think Froch will edge a close fight this time because he's aged better and now fights smarter. The problem he has to nullify is Kessler's body work (which has gotten even better since the 1st fight) - the way to do that is not to make the fight an in-fight and maintain distance.

Comment

• vandeleur
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Sep 2009

The more I talk about it the more am looking forward to the fight .
                                decent odds on the fight , round 10-12 for froch stoppage is 10-1. The draw is 18-1 which isnt bad concidering how close the pundits are sayings its going to be.

Comment

Working...