Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seenbad
    Commando
    • Jan 2004

The cav's are doing a lot of things right. I see them shaping up to take the east next year in very solid fashion.
    sheepa lotta peepa dahba looka fo uh moopy

Comment

• ALinChainz
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Contending for the East ... I can go with that, providing the new coaching and front office regime is solid also.

But winning the East I would think would be another year away.

Looks like your Blazers are in for some rebuilding though seen, good luck with that honestly.

Comment

• seenbad
        Commando
        • Jan 2004

Thaks dude. Work in progress. Nate Mcmillan will be a great asset and a total steal from Seattle.

Telfair is going to be one of the top 5 PG's in the league.

Watch Joel Przybilla at Center with more minutes this year. He'll be the leagues leading shot blocker.

Randolph is a consistant 20 and 10 player and with Reef going to Jersey today, it both opens up Randolphs minutes as a true PF and we can quit splitting 15 mpg for Miles, Patterson, Outlaw and Khryapa. I think two of the latter 4 (and a couple G's) need to be traded for a quality SG and we're set. Too bad Redd and Allen are both off the market. We'd be in position to jockey for them.

But thanks, it was a rough year and has been like 23 years since we haven't been in the playoffs.

Comment

• ALinChainz
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

The high school kid they drafted, Webster, I know they were real high on him going in.

It will take some time with the young team, but probably the best route to go for them.

Landing Allen would have been interesting, but moving Rahim was big for them. Didn't hear whether or not they were going to do a sign and trade for him or if he was just going, I know it would mean about another $10 million I think for him.

Comment

• seenbad
            Commando
            • Jan 2004

Sign and trade didn't work out between the offices. He's just going.

I havent seen much on Webster. As young as he is, I'm sure he'll just see minutes at the end of blowouts for next year but yes, building is the name of the game right now.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

Well, the Donyell Marshall deal is done...

I think they are going to try and move Gooden...or bring Marshall off the bench...like Horry...
              "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

They signed him to a four year deal...

Cavaliers add Marshall

1:17 p.m.

By Branson Wright
                Plain Dealer Reporter

The Cavaliers continued to bolster their roster by reaching an agreement with free agent power forward Donyell Marshall on Tuesday.

Marshall, according to sources, will sign a four-year deal worth between $20 and $25 million. Marshall, who played in Toronto last season, averages 12.4 points and 7.3 rebounds over his 11-year career.

Marshall, guard Larry Hughes and center Zydrunas Ilgauskas are expected to officially sign free agent contracts with the Cavaliers on Friday, the earliest date free agents can sign with teams.
                "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

It's not that I'm not a fan of Staudamire I guess...he's certainly better than any point we've had here since probably Terrell Brandon...when Brandon was good...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

It's funny...Donyell Marshall was on my first fantasy basketball team...his first year...12 years ago...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

I don't like Bill Livingston...but here's an article about their PG situation...

No long shots amid Cavaliers' additions
                      Tuesday, July 19, 2005
                      Bill Livingston
                      Plain Dealer Columnist
                      In "Hoosiers," everybody's fa vorite basketball movie, coach Norman Dale, played by Gene Hackman, calms the nerves of his jittery team of farm boys by measuring the dimensions of the court at cavernous Butler Fieldhouse for the state final. The basket is still 10 feet high. A free throw is still 15 feet.

It's a fine lesson, as far as it goes. Unfortunately, in the Cavaliers' interest in Sarunas Jasikevicius, a Lithuanian sharpshooter, the international 3-point line doesn't go far enough and the trapezoid-shaped foul lane goes too far.

Cavs General Manager Danny Ferry likes the 6-4 guard with the satiny stroke, especially since his predecessor, Jim Paxson, did not recognize a shooter when he had one (Jason Kapono) or when he tried to acquire two (the dreadful Jiri Welsch and J.R. Bremer.)

Things are different, however, in the NBA. The 3-pointer is 3 feet, 3 inches longer than the almost mid-range 20½ feet of international basketball.

This makes a big difference in defending the pick-and-roll play. In international ball, you almost have to take away the outside shot first.

Jasikevicius, a solid, but not spectacular player at Maryland in the 1990s, beat the USA in the qualifying round of the 2004 Olympics, making many of his seven 3-pointers on the same side pick-and-roll with center Eurelijus Zukauskas. Coach Larry Brown's no-help, no-switch defense made a star of Jasikevicius, who airballed the game-ending 3-pointer that would have beaten the USA in Sydney in 2000.

"The shape of the lane is a factor," USA assistant coach Gregg Popovich said at the Athens Games. "It's so wide that it makes the sides of the court too narrow to run some of the two-man stuff we use in the NBA."

Added Brown: "So much of the NBA game is isolation - one-on-one and two-on-two. So unless you have great quickness and athletic ability, it's a struggle."

The Cavs are still looking for a shooter because, while Larry Hughes adds defense and a third option after LeBron James and Zydrunas Ilgauskas, he is no threat from the outside. But Hughes should give James more room for the 3-point shot that can distort defenses. The Cavs could not sign the class of the free-agent market, Ray Allen and Michael Redd. Both got more money from their original teams.

Redd is a scary streak shooter, but James last season made more 3s than Redd (108-104) while shooting 35.1 percent to Redd's 35.5 percent. The deficiencies of James' outside shooting have been, as Mark Twain said of reports of his death, greatly exaggerated.

Luke Jackson, who lost his rookie year to a back injury, might be a reliable weapon, too.

In Jasikevicius' favor, it's easier to hide a weak defender in the NBA now than when zone defenses were, theoretically, illegal. Jasikevicius can play point guard, but it's his own use of the ammo, not passing it, that makes him most attractive. It's a heretical notion in the dunk-and-3-centric basketball universe of the NBA, but Jasikevicius could be effective as a mid-range shooter. Detroit's Rip Hamilton has done pretty well.

Ferry cannot fix everything in one off-season. He landed a quality player in Hughes and didn't overpay for one-trick ponies. Jasikevicius is worth a gamble for the right price.

There are many ways to win a basketball game. Shooting is always going to be one of them.

To reach this Plain Dealer columnist:

blivingston@plaind.com, 216-999-5754

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

a blog about the Cavs moves...and that Lithuanian kid...

Who will be runnin' the show?

Sarunas Jasikevicius has been rumored to be the Cavs' top choice at point guard, but recent reports have said that Marko Jaric may be their new top target.
                        Man o man ...the point guard saga seems to be taking a turn from its original course of action, to somewhere in Clipper land.

The Plain Dealer's Bill Livingston wrote in his column today that Sarunas Jasikevicius seems to be the favorite to take over at point guard for the '05 season.

A reporter for the San Antonio Express-News reported that a contract between Jasikevicius and the Cavaliers was all but done.

And then came a report in today's Akron Beacon Journal that Marko Jaric seems to be the Cavs' main target at point guard.

So who's right and who's wrong?

My guess is that the Beacon Journal may be jumping to conclusions on this one. Yeah I know it's reported that Jaric is visiting the Cavs on Thursday. I also know that the Journal has been relatively accurate during this rumor season, but it doesn't make much sense to sign Jaric, albeit a solid player, to an outlandish $6 million contract. Why not add Jasikevicius at a cheaper rate and find someone to backup Z.

We need bodies to fill out the roster at this point. Remember, starters win you games, depth wins you championships.

Steven Hunter, Dale Davis, Cliff Robinson and Robert 'Tractor' Traylor are all unrestricted free agents who could be added as a backup to Z.

A few points about Jasikevicius

* Shot 50+% from behind the arc in Euro league action (the international 3 point line is 3 feet, 3 inches shorter than the NBA's)

* Is considered by many to be the top player in Europe

* Was best man in Zydrunas Ilgauskas' wedding

* Played college basketball at Maryland

* Not a real sound defender

* Has a tendency to turn the ball over more than your average point guard

Click here for a complete bio

A few points about Jaric

* Was one of the NBA's best in assist-to-turnover and steal-to-turnover ratios last season.

* Shot 42 percent from the field and 37 percent from 3-point range last season.

* Has career averages of 8.5 ppg and 4.5 apg.

* Netted 5 3-pointers against Denver on 12/21/02.

* Is versatile and can play more than one position.

* Missed a total of 72 games throughout his 3 year career.

* Hails from Serbia-Montenegro

Click here for a complete bio

NY Post: Marshall to Cleveland

Leave it to the NY Post to once again stir the pot in Cavaliers land.

They are reporting that the Cavaliers have come to terms with PF Donyell Marshall. It's literally turned our Forum into a "what if" circus.

They are currently the only source reporting this signing.

All pundits, both on the local and national scene, have learned to steer clear of NY Post rumors.

I will keep you up-to-date if anything regarding Marshall and the Cavs comes to light.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

I don't know what our cap situation is now...so I don't know who the fuck we are going to sign...but another blog...

Point guard search continues
                          We are in the midst of a dead period during this free agency season. The initial contracts have been offered and verbally agreed upon by the top notch free agents, and teams now are waiting for the market to unfold before offering more money to second tier players.

Nonetheless, the rumors are still swirling regarding who the Cavaliers would like to go after for their second wave of spending.

FoxSports.com writes that the Cavaliers are targeting Earl Watson, Antonio Daniels, Marko Jaric and Sarunas Jasikevicius to fill their vacancy at point guard.

I could live with any of those point guards mentioned above.

Marko Jaric would cause a lot of match up problems at guard. Could you imagine a lineup of Jaric (6'7), Hughes (6'5), James (6'8), Gooden (6'10) and Z (7'3). He's a solid shooter (34% beyond the arc) and a solid passer (6.1 apg). He would look real nice in wine and gold.

One source said the Cavaliers have a 60% chance of landing Sarunas Jasikevicius, and he's apparently their top choice. Jasikevicius would add that shooting threat the Cavaliers DESPERATELY need. He's a bit prone to turning the ball over, but it's a game of give and take I guess. According to Larry Bird, he's the best player in Europe. Not a bad compliment from a great talent evaluator.

Earl Watson is the smallest of the bunch at 6'1. He would be my last option if all else fails. He's more of a slashing point guard. We already have two guys who can get to the hole at will in James and Hughes. You throw Z into the mix and you can forget about playing an up-tempo style of basketball. He would not address our shooting needs either. Watson's career average from behind the arc is around 30%. We need someone who can stroke the three 35-40% percent of the time.

Antonio Daniels is a solid all-around guard. He can score (11.2 ppg), pass (4 apg) and defend well (close to 1 steal per game on limited minutes). He led the NBA in assist-to-turnover ratio (4.89) during 2003-04 season. If I remember correctly so did Kevin Ollie at one point, and we all know how that one turned out. He strokes the three relatively well, averaging close to 33% throughout his career. Daniels would be a nice fit, but lacks experience in a starting role.

Comment

• ALinChainz
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

I know the T Wolves are hot after Jaric too.

He needs to put in an injury free season before Im sold, but he can be solid.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                              Roth Army Caesar
                              • Mar 2003

Well...whenever you have a guy his size...playing point...that can shoot...and play 2 other positions...injuries or not...he's going to make some coin...

We'll see...

I think with the Marshall signing...Cleveland is going to be tight to sign him...not sure how much under the cap they are...or if they can sign him to an extension...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jan 2004

Would probably have to be the dreaded "sign and trade" deal for it to work.

Comment

Working...