X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dan
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by MAX
    Sweet. The Spanks lost the subway series and both ESPN and MLB Network are referring to the Sox as "surging" after they whooped Halladay and The Phillies (well, 2 -1) the last two games of the series. Watched the Mets/Spanks last night and it broke my heart watching Bay hit two hr's all whilst being pissed we let him go.

Dan's White Sox got killed yesterday by like 13 - 0!!! LMAO!!!
    How Dare You.
    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• MAX
      Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Bob_R
      Uh oh. Now the Red Sux fans are coming out of the woodwork.

Thanks for watching. Sorry that we don't watch your games.
      Uh oh, typical Spankmeefan rhetoric about "Uh, you must be a closet Skankfan cos you actually watch other baseball games..." bullshit.

Dude, I get a limited amount of games here and if/when I can watch another team bitchslap A-Roid (I fucking LOATHE that fucker with a passion!!!) and Co. You can bet your ass I'll watch it. Again, I fucking miss Bay!!! I was coinky dinkily wearin' his Ole Numbahh 44 Sox jersey last night as well. Think it helped him knock the two homers outta that park. You're Welcome.

Besides, what else was I going to watch last night, fucking Lost?? lol

You're welcome about my watching your game too buddy and if I help 'em stink even more, I'll watch more of 'em, deal?

Hey, speaking of watching games. Who's kicking the Mighty Rays collective asses at the moment?

No ice cream for you.

Last edited by MAX; 05-24-2010, 10:41 PM.
      EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Bob_R
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

What a shame that the umpire, Jim Joyce, ruined a perfect game for Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga.
        Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

• MAX
          Rotharmy Gladiator

DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

What a shame that the umpire, Jim Joyce, ruined a perfect game for Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga.
          Yeah, that sucked.

I mean, they're all bein' classy about the post-game apologies, etc. I'd be pissed.
          EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

Comment

• Bob_R
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Selig will not overturn it. It will not go down in history as a perfect game.
            Talk Classic Rock - The Official Message Board For Classic Rock -- Now on XenForo!

Comment

• Hardrock69
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2005

They are saying that Bud has not absolutely said he will not overturn it.

He should.

I see a lot of crap on the net about "They should not overturn it because everyone is human, and we all make mistakes".

BULLSHIT.

The rules of baseball are SPECIFIC.

IF the first baseman catches the ball thrown from another player and tags first base BEFORE the runner gets there, THE RUNNER IS OUT!

PERIOD!

END OF FUCKING STORY!

So what if the ump made a bad call? That does NOT erase the fact that the runner WAS out!!!

I do not post a lot in The Esteemed AlInChans Locker Room, but I am a fan of baseball to some degree.

What is right, is right. That is all there is to it!

Bud Selig needs to overturn the call with no blemish on the record books, and then he needs to institute new rules allowing for instant replay!

The rule books say nothing about umpires changing the rules of the game. The rule books lay out specific rules for the playing of the game, and nobody has the authority to change those rules except the commissioner of baseball, least of all an umpire.

NOW.....as to the positive side of this debacle, both Armando Galarraga (pitcher) and Jim Joyce (umpire) have acted as perfect gentlemen in this whole affair, demonstrating to the world what true sportsmanship and sportsmanlike conduct are.

A USA Today poll shows a majority of fans want the call overturned:

Armando Galarraga is willing to overlook the blown call by an umpire that cost him a perfect game, but nearly two-thirds of baseball fans want the play reversed and the Tigers pitcher to have his place in baseball history.

Poll: Fans want umpire's blown call overturned, expanded instant replay
              11:36 AM

Armando Galarraga is willing to overlook the blown call by an umpire that cost him a perfect game, but nearly two-thirds of baseball fans want the play reversed and the Tigers pitcher to have his place in baseball history.

In a USA TODAY/Gallup poll conducted Thursday, 64% of respondents who described themselves as baseball fans said Major League Baseball should overturn umpire Jim Joyce's safe call with two outs in the ninth inning Wednesday against the Indians. The poll, which was based on 470 respondents who identified themselves as baseball fans, has a margin of error of 6%

Joyce, a 22-year veteran, admitted he got the call wrong and has apologized to Galarraga, who has forgiven the umpire and turned yet another high-profile umpire gaffe into a feel-good story. "I just cost that kid a perfect game," Joyce said Wednesday. "I would've been the first person in my face, and he never said a word to me."

Joyce's reaction has also garnered overwhelming support amongst fans, 84% of whom said they feel sympathetic toward the umpire.

Despites calls to overturn the base hit, Commissioner Bud Selig said in statement Thursday the matter was being reviewed but did not seem inclined to reverse the call. A high-ranking MLB official with knowledge of Selig's plans told USA TODAY the commissioner would not do so. The official requested anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the matter.

"Given (Wednesday's) call and other recent events, I will examine our umpiring system, the expanded use of instant replay and all other related features," Selig said in a statement.

On this point baseball fans agree with Selig. The USA TODAY/Gallup poll found that 78% of people said they believe Major League Baseball should expand the use of replay to include plays such as the one in Galarraga's one-hit shutout victory. The current system, implemented during the 2008 season, only determines whether potential home runs are over the wall or fair or foul.

"When does it stop, when does it start?" Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter said of expanding replay. "Do you have a flag that you throw from the bench for challenges? There are always plays throughout the course of a game that you wish were called the other way, but it comes to the point, where does it start and where does it stop?"

By Peter Barzilai
              One other positive note, the Detroit Tigers and Chevrolet gave a brand new Corvette anyway.

Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga was robbed of a perfect game against the Cleveland Indians Wednesday night, but GM found his performance impressive enough in the Tigers' 3-0 shutout to hand him the keys to a 2010 Chevy Corvette convertible.

No perfect game, but GM gives Chevrolet Corvette to Detroit pitcher Armando Galarraga
              08:10 PM

Detroit Tiger players check out the new red Chevrolet Corvette given to Armando Galarraga by General Motors before the Detroit Tigers game Thursday, June 4, 2010 at Comerica Park in Detroit,

By KIRTHMON F. DOZIER, Detroit Free Press
              Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga was robbed of a perfect game against the Cleveland Indians Wednesday night, but GM found his performance impressive enough in the Tigers' 3-0 shutout to hand him the keys to a 2010 Chevy Corvette convertible.

That's some consolation prize. But it couldn't be more deserved:

Galarraga retired 26 straight Indians' batters before the 27th and final batter, Jason Donald, stepped to the plate. Donald hit a ground ball between first and second base, which was fielded by Tiger's first baseman Miguel Cabrera. Cabrera threw to Galarraga, who stepped on first base, but umpire Jim Joyce blew the call and said Donald was safe. Galarraga had to settle for a 3-0 shutout.

Shortly after the game ended, Joyce admitted to missing the call at the base, saying, "I just cost that kid a perfect game. I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay. It was the biggest call of my career." The umpire apologized to Galarraga last night.

GM North American President Mark Reuss found the performance impressive enough anyway. No matter what the record books say, Reuss decided Galarraga deserved recognition for his achievement.

One has to wonder what kind of car Galarraga would have gotten for a perfect game.
              Last edited by Hardrock69; 06-04-2010, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• Bob_R
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Yanks are on the verge of acquiring Cliff Lee.

Comment

• Bob_R
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Congrats to Nick Swisher for making the All-Star game.

Comment

• Bob_R
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

First no-hitter in Rays history last night. In front of 17,000 fans. :eek:

Comment

• Green Manalishi
                      Head Fluffer
                      • Jul 2010

Cool thread ! I LUVS me sum baseball ! I can't wait to see how the playoffs shake out this year . Been a Die Hard Cards fan since I was a little kid in the '60's . I appreciate baeball history and I have a respect for the game . I check the standings everyday , especially the National League . Looks like it's gonna be a dog fight down to the wire between the Reds and my Cards for the N. L. Central .

Comment

• BITEYOASS
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2004

You know what sucks about MLB in general nowadays? They won't allow you to listen to baseball games on local stations for free, WTF! Now they have you pay $19.95 a year for gameday audio, FUCK THAT! I can get a satellite radio sports package subscription for almost half that amount.

Comment

• redblkwht
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Yanks are on the verge of acquiring Cliff Lee.
                          yeah in 2011..lmao, any of you guys hear of any soon to be transactions?
                          ive just been reading up here -
                          MLB Trade Rumors: a clearinghouse for legitimate baseball free agent and trade rumors.

EUAS

Comment

• Bob_R
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by redblkwht
                            yeah in 2011..lmao, any of you guys hear of any soon to be transactions?
                            ive just been reading up here -
                            http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/
                            Phils may be getting Oswalt.

Comment

• High Life Man
                              Commando
                              • Jan 2004

Where's Adam Dunn going to end up?

Read the Yanks were sniffing around...

Comment

• Green Manalishi
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Jul 2010

The Phillies snatched up Roy Oswalt and he starts TONIGHT vs. the Washington Nationals . The post season push in the N. L. just got that much more intriguing .

Comment

Working...