Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brett
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

And how do you know what holes USC has this year, they've played ONE game!!?!?! And dominated it no less on both sides of the ball.

That's why I don't how you can say who is #1 yet, or where anybody is. Texas could drop 3 more games by November, then they were hardly the same #2 Texas that beat USC right?

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

So...you are saying that because of a win streak the year before...

they should be ranked #1 the following year?

Is that not the same as a preseason ranking?

Was there not a year that there were 3 teams undefeated? What would have happened had USC been ranked LOWER in the preseason polls than Auburn and LSU???

You mention 34 game winning streak (which ended at the end of the year...not the beginning...by the way), which leads right into a precursor of prerankings.

Now...OSU hype.

1. If you tell me you heard more about OSU than Notre Dame at the beginning of this year...you are lying.

2. I don't live in Ohio anymore...and I hear NOTHING about OSU down here in ACC-land. As a matter of fact...last week...they had a paragraph in the paper...Virginia Teach...about 300 miles away...had half a page.

The ONLY reason why OSU is ranked #1 is because the returned nearly everyone to their offense that bitchslapped Notre Dame last year. Had they played ANYONE else in a bowl game...ANYONE...WVU, Oklahoma...FSU...

I guarantee you that you don't see them at #1...

bottom line is they have a good QB...and a good WR that are both up for Heisman. They have a 9 game winning streak, and haven't lost a game by more than 6 points in 2 years. Of course...

you mention a 1 game winning streak against Texas.

I THOUGHT USC was a great team, and said as much.

I am relatively certain...that if you would just shut up for a second...you could fucking admit for once in your life that the world isn't against fucking USC...

and that fucking OSU is one badass team.

But no...

it's all the media...

it's not even an argument...

especially since I hate preseason polls...and literally think there are 10 teams that could have a shot.

I personally believe that WVU COULD be the only undefeated team by the end of the year because of strength of schedule.

I've said that OVER AND OVER AND OVER again.

I've seen to many top 5 OSU teams lose dumb games throughout the year to cost them a shot at the national title to convincingly say they'll EVER do it.

You let the games speak for themselves. They beat a damn good Texas team. People that like OSU will say that Texas has 16 returnees off a team that won the national title and had the nation's longest winning streak.

People that have their $$$ in another corner will say Texas lost Vince Young, and shouldn't even be ranked.

Whatever...

but if you say that OSU is a media-hype, and that is all...then you are wrong.

They are a damn fine football team...and god willing...

will find themselves across the field from USC at the end of the year...
      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
        Roth Army Caesar
        • Mar 2003

and I DON'T know USC's holes...because I DON'T fucking care. They are one of a bunch of teams that could win it all...and if we PLAY THEM...at the end of the year...I'm sure we'll all find out their holes...

and just a statement...

anyone that doesn't realize that Texas isn't far less than what they were because Young was gone is kidding themselves...

Jesus Christ...
        "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
          Roth Army Caesar
          • Mar 2003

When the fuck did I say anything derogatory about USC?

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

OSU home and home series...

2008 and 2009...USC

2009 and 2010...Miami (FL)

rumors have another Notre Dame home and home after that...

Comment

• Little Texan
              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Brett
              Texas was very overrated but you Texas homers still thought they would challenge for a national title, give me a break. I said before they were going to lose because of inexperience at QB, and that's what happened.

Still sore about the Rose Bowl? I never thought they would challenge for a national title this year, in fact, in another thread I said they would not be near as good as they were last year, QB position being the main reason.

Comment

• Little Texan
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Brett
                And actually SC had 4 guys deserving of the Heisman last year Unchainme, I think it was pretty clear-cut at the end who really deserved it though.
                Yep, Vince Young.

Comment

• Brett
                  Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Like I said, I have little chance of winning an argument on this, so I'm not going to bother.

I do find it funny though that my friends who went to UCLA (which is basically all of them), and certainly have no love loss for USC, made it a point to mention to me how sad and lame the media is hyping OSU after two games into the season like they were SC during their 34-game winning streak. And trust me, they loathe USC more than anyone on this board does.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

You Brett, are without a doubt in my mind, the most biased fan of anyone that I've ever met...bar none.

I don't necesarily think it's a bad thing...but you certainly see things the way you want to see them.

It's an absolute joke that you think OSU being #1 is a media hype and that's all...and absolute joke.

Of course...you follow that up by discussing "holes" for USC...which I, of course...have never mentioned.

I suppose when you lose your starting QB, a former Heisman trophy winner, your 2 starting tailbacks, one a former Heisman trophy winner...

you have a tendency to think that they aren't going to be quite as good as they've been in the past.

We all know they have as much talent as most teams over a 10 year period in one year, but even so...

Them not being ranked #1 makes a whole lot of sense...

like you said...Texas lost Young, and reloaded with 2 of the top young quarterback recruits over the past 5 years. Even so, they shouldn't be ranked #1.

You don't think losing Bush, White and Leinart, irregardless of the talent behind them, wouldn't require a couple of spot drop? Not to mention the fact that they lost far more players off their starting 22 than Texas.

As I've said from the start Mr. Selectively bias, OSU lost THEIR ENTIRE DEFENSIVE BACKFIELD...all 3 linebackers, 2 corners and 2 safetys. In my estimation, that doesn't put them at #1. However, Troy Brown and Ted Ginn Jr. are two of the top 5-7 Heisman winners...their line is as stout as ever, and they have 2 tailbacks that could go over 1,000 yards if they get the carries...including the #1 recruit in the country last year.

It's a case as good as any.

I wouldn't expect USC or UCLA fans to sit up and say, "YEAH! OSU IS NUMBER 1!!!!!" Being that there has always been a bit of a Rose Bowl rivalry between the teams (and ps, I don't really want to get into the domination of OSU by Pac 10 teams in the Rose...that's a whole nother conversation).

I'm still trying hard to figure out what great injustive has been laid upon your USC team. So OSU being rated #1 is some slight to your Trojans? USC should be in first? Notre Dame? Georgia? Auburn? Please...tell me...

if not Ohio State...than who.

You talk about Texas ending somewhere out of the top 10. So now, we rank them according to where we think they'll END 10 weeks from now? What if Texas runs the table. Would you recant?

Doesn't the BCS take into account victories over the top 10 opponents? And doesn't the BCS still have 3 weeks before it's first poll?

You preface your comments with you have little chance of winning an argument in here.

When the fuck have I not listened to a comment you've made (not to mention all the fucking points I've conceded to you about Kobe, whether I agree or not)?

I don't agree with you about the media hype about OSU. I seem to recall 2002, when Miami U was being called one of the best offensive teams, and best college teams of all time. They had a streak of course, and OSU shut them down on offense. Yeah, they got a gift call at the end...no doubt. But according to the press, OSU wouldn't get within 2 TD's of them. All year long...it was Miami and nobody else.

I haven't heard ANY media outlet say with any conviction that OSU is a runaway #1. For fuck sake, they aren't even close to having even all the first place votes in ANY POLL!

Whenever I hear ANYTHING about OSU's offense (which is AS GOOD AS ANY IN THE NCAA), it's always a breath or two later we hear about how many they've lost in their defense. It's for sure, a cautionary tale.

Was the Texas v. OSU game hyped? Sure...of course. It was a 1 v. 2 match up...contrived or not. Is ABC supposed to say...hey, OSU might or might not be #1, and Texas...well...we just bumped them up to #2 for the matchup...

great way to sell a game if you ask me.

IMO...you can make a case over the past several years that there have been a fucking boatload of teams in #1 early because of their early season placement...including USC...and Miami...and damn near anyone that finishes the season with more than 2 teams undefeated...or with only 1 or less undefeated.

ANYONE that is even SAYING that OSU is being hyped as much as USC after their 34 game winning streak simply doesn't know their ass from their hole in the ground.

But of course, according to you apparently, every team that's number one JUST CAN'T LIVE UP TO YOU AND YOUR VAUNTED 34 game win streak.

This coming from a guy that says he doesn't believe in preseason or early season polls.

Of course...if that were true...A WINNING STREAK FROM PREVIOUS SEASONS wouldn't matter...

now would it.

Post a thread anywhere you want about it Brett.

It's ridiculous whereever you post it.

Comment

• Sarge's Little Helper
                      Commando
                      • Mar 2003

DOWN WITH BIAS!!!!
                      "I decided to name my new band DLR because when you say David Lee Roth people think of an individual, but when you say DLR you think of a band. Its just like when you say Edward Van Halen, people think of an individual, but when you say Van Halen, you think of…David Lee Roth, baby!"!

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                        Roth Army Caesar
                        • Mar 2003

Of course...let's all listen to the same UCLA fans that were saying they had a chance to win the Pac 10 and beat USC last year...

lmfao...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                          You Brett, are without a doubt in my mind, the most biased fan of anyone that I've ever met...bar none.
                          You just hurt my feelings....
                          Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

Sorry man...

lmfao...

but you aren't even close...

of course...you could start posting that OSU is riding a media machine as big as USC's...

wait...

how many games in a row did the win again?

Comment

• Brett
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                              Of course...let's all listen to the same UCLA fans that were saying they had a chance to win the Pac 10 and beat USC last year...

lmfao...
                              UCLA fans are fucking imbeciles, yes.

This is what UCLA fans do period...and not just in football, it's in every sport, and they ALL do this.

1. If their team is shitty and they get smoked.

"Well of course, I knew we had no chance, big deal."

2. Or if they team is shitty and they somehow pull off an upset.

"I knew we had a chance to pull the upset, I knew we were underrated."

Comment

• Brett
                                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

All I am going to say to end the media bias discussion is this, and yes it probably belongs in the ND thread.

#4 Notre Dame beat #19 Penn St. 41-17 at home and moved up two spots to #2, right?

I'll almost guarantee that if USC (now ranked #4 in AP) slaughters #19 Nebraska this week at the Coliseum, that USC will not move up to #2, and probably not even to #3. You watch if it happens.

Comment

Working...