Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

With regards to Pryor...I wanted Pryor to become a Buckeye as much as anyone. I've pretty much realized that the MAIN reason I wanted him in the scarlet and grey wasn't because he possessed a Vince Young skill-set, but because Michigan, Penn State and Florida were also on his radar. I DIDN'T want them to get him. That said, his potential was also a big part of my regards for Pryor becoming a Buckeye.

Here's what I've found. He can't run a pro-style offense...at least not now. He has no clue how to protect the ball in a typical Tressel fashion, and in my estimation, it's a mistake to allow him to. That said, it degrades the offense when he just takes over a game against a team like Toledo, as he did yesterday. Sure, he had gaudy stats passing, and rushing. At the same time, what about the running game. Sure, their line has injury issues with Cordle out, but I still feel like the correct players aren't in there. A line works mainly based on how it meshes, with talent important, but secondary. I would have liked to see Brewster become the anchor to a solid group...I'm just not sure the right guys are in there at this point.

I got off from topic.

Pryor did throw two picks yesterday...and I'm not going to hammer for that...but he plays with the same loose cannon even when he stays in the pocket.

What's my point...I think Tressel needs to upgrade his play-calling a bit...but still feel that the main fault of the offense lies with the QB. Right now, Pryor isn't playing in a way that will lead this team to a national title.

Talented...for sure...

Fit for the system?...not sure that he fits in any system that doesn't allow him to do what he wants...and allows him to make mistakes.

Not sure if that makes much sense...but what else is new...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

USC is overrated. tOSU is a better team that lost because the QB didn't protect the ball enough, and a coach that perhaps made a couple of calls that cost him the game.

Now...USC will be a one loss team ahead of the Buckeyes...not looking towards a BCS or anything...but that won't help if perhaps it remains that way for the rest of the season.

tOSU lost to an inferior team last week, and that...pisses me off.

I will say this: Over the past three or four years they've lost to highly ranked teams that were flat out better. That wasn't the case last week. If they play that way against Penn State, or perhaps even Michigan...than it's going to be a long year.
      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

Poj, how do you see Pryor faring against PSU later on this season (at Happy Valley)....
        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
          Roth Army Caesar
          • Mar 2003

I don't know what to make of Penn State at this point in the season, although crazy-ass JoePa has managed to get an offense going.

Okay...State has rolled Akron, Syracuse and Temple, all at home.

tOSU has stumbled against Navy, lost to USC and rolled over Toledo, all at home (yes, even Cleveland is home to the Buckeyes in only their second visit there).

tOSU has played the tougher schedule for sure, but I still like the way Penn State is handling their business on both sides of the ball.

You know Va...I'm going to call it a toss up to be honest. Home field doesn't necesarily mean much when these two get at each other. Even though Pryor will be a visitor...and PSU will white out the game...he'll feel at home. I do get the impression with Pryor that these are the kinds of games he excels at.

Ohio State's run-game has to improve (although they did have over 250 yards rushing yesterday between QB and three other runners)...and their oline has to step up against a snarly Penn State defense...but in the same regards...I think Penn State's O will be running up against a wall themselves.

These D's are no-jokes...and likely top five units nationally by the time they play.

I really think it could be a barn-burner, especially considering the likely implications come November 7th.

As of now...I'd give the nod to Penn State...but it's a long ways away, and to be honest, tOSU will get nothing but better. So will Penn State...but they haven't really played anyone as of yet.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

I tend to agree, toss up.... Both D's dominating....
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
              Roth Army Caesar
              • Mar 2003

Like I said Va...we'll get a better guage come the next few weeks with Big 10 play...

the teams PState have played are like a combined 2-4 or 2-5...and the Bucks have lost a game they should have won...and played like crap against a team they should have overmatched.

Hard to say...

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2007

I wonder how much of Tressel's play calling has been collared by Pryor's learning curve, or his reading of defenses and finding receivers?

Loose cannon is a pretty accurate term. Might be one of the reasons this O line looks weak. It is hard to block for a guy when you don't know where he is behind you. But, that doesn't address the running game.

USC WILL lose another game this year, bank on it. They're not the offensive juggernaut they were expected to be coming out of the gate. I'm not sure if that game had been played 1 week later that tOSU wouldn't have won, having another game under it's belt.

Saine is a pretty good receiver...for a running back.

On a side note, UC is creating quite a buzz around here...ranked just below the Buckeyes...Illinois is gonna take 2 ass whoopins in Ohio this season!

Looks like another Beanie-type bruiser is headed to Columbus next year!
                Last edited by hideyoursheep; 09-21-2009, 04:10 AM.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                  ROTH ARMY ELITE
                  • Jan 2007

LMAO!

Paterno wanted Eddie George to play LB!

Never heard that one before.

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                    Sniper
                    • Jan 2004

ya know, HYS, I think that has something to do with it. Tressel has the public image as being very conservative (which he does a lot to promote on his own), but I think it can be exaggerated. for example, look at the 2002 team with Craig Krenzel vs. the 2006 version with Troy Smith.

those two squads ran completely different offensive schemes. the '02 team was close to the vest (sorry), while the '06 version ran from a 5 wide set very frequently and famously put up 42 pts on Michigan.

I think Tressel's vision for Pryor is something approaching Troy Smith. however, he's not there yet, so we are kind of stuck in that middle ground of trying to be conservative while the kid learns.

the big paradox is that the style that will best allow the team to win today is at odds with maximizing the long-term development. right now, Pryor is at his best when he plays like he did against Toledo, where he can use his legs as a big asset. however, if he only learns to take off running at any sign of danger, it limits his growth as a passer.

against USC, with their speed on the edge, they were able to take away that comfort zone. Pryor ended up just looking confused and out-of-sync. unsure of what type of QB he was trying to be. I don't think the play calling cost the Bucks the game, Pryor just didn't make enough of the throws that were there for him

hopefully, he continues to grow. as it has the last few years, the Big10 portion of the schedule appears to be back-loaded. so, he should have a chance to improve before closing with Penn St, Iowa, and Michigan. although I'm not counting out a few landmine games btwn now and then (like Wisconsin).
                    David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
                    — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                      Sniper
                      • Jan 2004

well, Saturday kicks off the Big 10. I'm done worrying about the national picture. Take care of business in the Big 10 and we'll get a big national game at the end of the year.

Need to whip up on Illinois at home after that 2007 game. let's go Bucks, first step to an outright Big 10 title.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                        ROTH ARMY ELITE
                        • Jan 2007

Running game looks good so far....#36 Rolle is a beast! Great INT. It's wet out there...Look for Pryor to give it up a couple times either throwing or running.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2007

127 yards rushing, 0 passing....Woodyball.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2007

Yeah, I know it's Toledo and Illinoise, but how do you like 2 consecutive shut-outs?

In other news:

WTF happened to Penn State?

Tony Pike is a man.

Let that be a lesson to you, Urban Meyer! Fucking dick. It's 100-0 in the first quarter against the U of K, and those sorry examples of sportsmanship that is Florida needlessly keep Tebow on the field to run it up on Kenfucky? WTF? I feel for the kid, but at the same time, fuck em all-they deserve it.

Can someone tell me why that nutcase SEC ref STILL has a job? He's making game changing tackles one year, then he's "showing blitz" the next? He shouldn't be allowed near a football field.

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                              Sniper
                              • Jan 2004

I think Pojo is going to end up being right about this...much improved Buckeye D.

Big 10 is wide open.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                                Roth Army Caesar
                                • Mar 2003

I think their linebacking corp is much better this year...than last year...

and Rolle is a fucking beast...far superior athletically than any linebacker they've had in the past 10 years...

TP's first option SHOULD ALWAYS BE TO RUN THE BALL IN THAT FLEX OPTION...period...

Comment

Working...