What's the Worst Music Video You Have Ever Seen?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Bill Aucoin was gay, so maybe he had a "thing" for Billy Squier. Wonder if Paul Stanley got jealous?
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Mr Walker
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
      Bill Aucoin was gay, so maybe he had a "thing" for Billy Squier. Wonder if Paul Stanley got jealous?
      In his book, Butch Walker talks about a creepy phone call he got from Aucoin in the middle of the night looking to manage more than just Butch's band Southgang.

Comment

• Mr Walker
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jan 2004

I don't know why everyone was surprised to find out Billy Squier was gay. Ever take a good look at the lyrics to "My Kinda Lover" (one of his big hits from the early 80s)
        I wouldn't be surprised to hear that BS smoked a pole or two back in the day (he was tight with Freddie)... but the guy has been married to the same lady for quite some time now... found this pic of her in cyberspace...

Uh, his wife is the blond... not the well-nourished lady to the right.

Comment

• gbranton
          Veteran
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Mr Walker
          the guy has been married to the same lady for quite some time now....
          I did not know that.

I saw him live once, back in 1984 with RATT opening. RATT was so good the crowd was still chanting for them when Billy came on stage. Once everybody got over that I thought he was really good live (he played and sang his ass off), even though he did sort of make everyone's gaydar go off. My girlfriend at the time had a HUGE crush on him and came away from the show sort of heartbroken.
          "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• FORD
            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

In his book, Butch Walker talks about a creepy phone call he got from Aucoin in the middle of the night looking to manage more than just Butch's band Southgang.
            Geezus.... nothing like a booty call from your manager!
            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Mr Walker
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

Geezus.... nothing like a booty call from your manager!
              After that call, he decided they wouldn't require Mr. Aucoin's services.

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by fryingdutchman
                OK....first off....the emoticons you added for certain lines made me throw up a little in my mouth. Fucking hilarious, yet horrifying and disturbing at the same time.
                That's one hundred percent true but at the same time he had some restraint by not putting the sockfucker emoticon after sock me.

Comment

• fryingdutchman
                  Full Member Status

• Feb 2005

Shit....at a quick glance he looks like Lindsay Buckingham.
                  Originally posted by perilouspete
                  fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that BS smoked a pole or two back in the day (he was tight with Freddie)... but the guy has been married to the same lady for quite some time now... found this pic of her in cyberspace...

Uh, his wife is the blond... not the well-nourished lady to the right.
                    Look at his left hand. I think they're just shopping pals.

Comment

• Mr Walker
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
                      Look at his left hand. I think they're just shopping pals.
                      Hahaha... he's got his hand on her tit... give him a break bro!

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I dunno.... she looks a little "Ann Coulterish". Apparently she was an East German tennis player or something like that, and weren't a lot of those professional athletes from the Communist countries of "questionable" genders?
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Sarge
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

This was great

The video for the track was directed and choreographed by Kenny Ortega, who later directed the High School Musical films. It shows Squier waking up in a bed with satiny, pastel-colored sheets, then dancing and kicking up his heels around the bed as he gets dressed, ultimately putting on a pink tank top. At the conclusion he leaves the room and joins his band in performing the song.
                          It frequently appears on "worst music video ever" lists.[4] For I Want My MTV, their 2011 oral history of the network's early years, authors Rob Tannenbaum and Craig Marks interviewed over 400 people, primarily artists, managers, filmmakers, record company executives and MTV employees. They said that none could agree on the best video, but all agreed that "Rock Me Tonite" was the worst. They devoted an entire chapter of the book to it.[5]
                          Squier himself, and many other observers, believe its blatant homoeroticism alienated a significant portion of his fan base and ruined his career. "I liked [him] very much," says Rudolf Schenker of The Scorpions, "but then I saw him doing this video in a very terrible way. I couldn't take the music serious anymore."[2]

At that point, Ortega, a friend of Squier's girlfriend, called up Squier's managers and offered to direct the video. He had done choreography in some of Mallet's videos, and directed the clip for The Pointer Sisters' "I'm So Excited." Neither manager was particularly enthusiastic about him, and pressured Squier to get rid of him. Capitol was disturbed that Squier had talked directly to Ortega, in contravention of their preferred practice, but deferred to him. "By going around the label, he had thrown down the gauntlet," Kleber says.[2]
                          Ortega suggested to him that he do some of the same moves he did during his show, without his guitar. Squier's idea was that the resulting footage should be grainy and in darker, subdued colors, evoking the 1980 film American Gigolo. He rejected a suggestion by Ortega that it look instead like Tom Cruise's air guitar scene near the beginning of the 1982 film Risky Business.[2]
                          The shoot was held in Los Angeles within two weeks of the world premiere date. Squier showed up on the soundstage and saw the decorated set. It was not what he had envisioned, and he expressed his misgivings. Ortega reassured him that the finished version would look as he had wanted it to. "I didn't like the sheets but I trusted the guy." Tom Mohler, one of Squier's managers, asked Ortega to make sure there was footage of the band performing the entire song to use as coverage; he says Ortega promised to do so but did not.[2]
                          Other artists and managers have wondered why Squier and his management did not stop the video. "I don't care if the director was lying dead on the floor," says Pete Angelus, manager of Van Halen, "you shouldn't have put on a fucking pink T-shirt and danced around like that." Stiefel says friends who see the clip for the first time on YouTube are still incredulous that it ever aired. "Did Billy not notice the pastel satin sheets?" Stiefel asks. "I don't know that Barry Manilow ever did such a gay video ... This is the great Kenny Ortega. How could he have allowed such a thing?" [2]
                          At Capitol and MTV, there were similar questions. A joke had it that the video should have been called "Cock Me Tonite". The label continued to defer to Squier, giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming he might have intended the video as a joke. Mohler pleaded with Capitol president Jim Mazza to just cancel the video, but the label stood firm. "I wish I had had the balls to say to [them]: 'We're not putting it out'," Mohler laments.[2]
                          Squier was aghast when he saw the video. Capitol told him not to worry since the single was so successful, but his girlfriend told him it would ruin him. He was touring at the time, and recalls that as soon as the video came out, he stopped selling out shows, in some cases playing to half-empty arenas. "I couldn't figure out why Capitol didn't pull that video and make another one," said Warren DeMartini of Ratt, who were opening for Squier at the time. Squier learned later that he could have done so himself, as Bruce Springsteen had been able to do with a video he disliked. "Everything I'd worked for my whole life was crumbling, and I couldn't stop it."[2]
                          As a result, he fired both his managers within a month. While they understood why, it was painful for Mohler in particular, since Squier had been best man at his wedding earlier in the year. He hired Stiefel to replace them, finished his tour and then took two years to release his next album, Enough Is Enough.[2] He has never matched his early chart success since then.
                          In 2011, Squier talked about the experience as "an MBA course in how a video can go totally wrong."
                          The video misrepresents who I am as an artist. I was a good-looking, sexy guy. That certainly didn't hurt in selling records. But in this video I'm sort of pretty boy. And I'm preening around a room. People said "He's gay." Or "He's on drugs." It was traumatizing to me. I mean, I had nothing against gays. I have a lot of gay friends. But like it or not, it was more of a sticky point then.
                          While he is still angry at Ortega, who he believes purposely misled and exploited him, he is philosophical about the video. "The scars aren't that deep ... It's a bad part of a good life."[2]
                          ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
                          The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
                          [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Comment

• Sarge
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

Squier himself, and many other observers, believe its blatant homoeroticism alienated a significant portion of his fan base and ruined his career. "I liked [him] very much," says Rudolf Schenker of The Scorpions, "but then I saw him doing this video in a very terrible way. I couldn't take the music serious anymore."
                            That is just hilarious. This has to win the trophy because he wasn't a fruitcake like these other videos that people have posted here.
                            This was a legitimate rock and roll act that released a video that made people embarrassed to like him. It ruined his career and made him look totally queer.
                            I feel bad for the guy...

In the wikipedia he acted like it was the producers fault. Didn't he know what was happening in that video shoot? WTF

Comment

• SunisinuS
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • May 2010

Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) by Journey has to be in the top 5.

Not gonna Embed:

Official HD video for "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)'' by JourneyListen to Journey: https://journey.lnk.to/listenYDWatch more Journey videos: https://Journey....

Ahh what the hell...a picture says a thousand sand fleas are attacking.

Last edited by SunisinuS; 02-14-2012, 10:00 PM.
                              Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Comment

• Sarge
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Feb 2003

Did anyone else catch this in the stuff I posted above?

"I don't care if the director was lying dead on the floor," says Pete Angelus, manager of Van Halen, "you shouldn't have put on a fucking pink T-shirt and danced around like that."

Comment

Working...