Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aesop
    Commando
    • Oct 2004

If you are into acoustic guitar, I would reccomend Don Ross, the North American acoustic guitar champion. He plays lead, harmony, and percussion all at once on a 12-string! His album 'Passion Session' is simply unbeleivable if you are in the mood.

PS - It ain't slow...

PSS - Check out the song 'Klimbim'
    Yo Yo Yo

Comment

• usfest
      Full On Cocktard
      • Jan 2005

Randy Hansen
      I used to hear so much about the guy from other guitarists. But not so much main stream - for that I would say he was/is underated.

I don't consider people who have been on the cover of guitar mags and other "main stream" mags underrated - people like Nugent and Dave Murry for example. Maybe these days you don't hear much about them but these guys IMO, are not underrated. I mean I think Neil Schon is an amazing player - however when Journey got huge he got more than his share of media attention. But go back to a 16 year old Neil in Santana and early Journey...pre Escape era. But even during the band "arena rock pop metal" era his solos were melodious and tasteful. But would I list Neil as being under rated? No.

To me - I would say people like Chet Thompson who never really got up to the point that lesser players got to (The guys in Warrent for example). Chet was so brilliant and had WWIII gotten the Warner Bros deal it would have been the first time that Ted and Don had worked together since the CVH days. He released a few albums in Japan, auditioned for Ozzy (Jake got the gig), DLR (Becker got the gig) but in the long run never got the recognition he deserved. That is what I call underated.

Billy Ray Martin, who had a band called Red River, would just invoke the spirt of Hendrix (No Billy did not play a strat) and rip on the blues. Again - all the underground Hollywood buzz never translated to being signed to any major. Red Reiver had an album out in France I think - on New Rose was it? But the type of rocky blues just was not "commerical" enough - but the guy was just a smoking blues guitarist. Another for sure underated player.

A few others - Janet Robin (who is doing more solo acoustic these days - she toured with Lindsey Buckinham playing mainly acoustic guitar in his band), Robert Hecker (Huge Eddie fan, but being in Redd Kross he was never taken as serious as he should have been. And while on the topic of Redd Kross - Steve McDonald - just an awesome bass player. Gotten a bit more reconition of late with playing bass with Beck and Thelonious D) , Lori Von Linstruth (Just starting to 'come back' after moving to Sweden and taking years off) and Mike Campese (Just got a gig with Trans Siberian Orchestra so maybe he will start getting some notice)

Comment

• Heavydigger
        Roth Army Recruit
        • Dec 2004

The Most Underrated Guitarist Is Robbin Crosby.
        "I can hear it screamin' in my mind, Long Live David Lee Roth, Long Live Dave Lee Roth..."

Comment

• BRANDON
          Roadie
          • May 2004

frank marino from mahogany rush.he fuckin kicks ass

Comment

• CROWBAR
            Commando
            • Sep 2004

Robin Trower

Comment

• nosuchluck
              Sniper
              • Aug 2004

James Byrd.

Comment

• Soul Reaper
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by FORD
                Probably the most under-rated guitarist in the history of music. Even Eric Clapton reportedly has said so. When Clapton was asked how it felt to be the best guitarist on earth, he replied "I don't know. Ask Phil Keaggy"[/URL]
                No, I'm sure they asked Hendrix not Clapton.
                ROTH ARMY YOUTUBE CHANNEL:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=RothArmyVideos

"May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face." - Frank Zappa to Tipper Gore

Comment

• nosuchluck
                  Sniper
                  • Aug 2004

Ray Gomez.

Comment

• Soul Reaper
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2005

Mick Thompson of Slipknot. Everyone thinks of him as a down-tuned metaller but really he's one hell of a player. He's kinda under-rated because of his first two records with Slipknot (his solos got deleted by the producer, so no-one heard any of his shredding).

I'm not a big fan of Slipknot, though.

Last edited by Soul Reaper; 02-19-2005, 10:10 AM.

"May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face." - Frank Zappa to Tipper Gore

Comment

• nosuchluck
                      Sniper
                      • Aug 2004

he's a huge fan of Malmsteen, apparently. and he's a guitar teacher.

Comment

• Soul Reaper
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by nosuchluck
                        he's a huge fan of Malmsteen, apparently. and he's a guitar teacher.
                        Yes he is, to both. There's been a few interviews with him recently in Total Guitar. He is seriously dedicated to the guitar. He says in one of his interviews how he got really pissed off when his students wanted to learn Blink 182 or Nirvana. He really hates those bands!

Comment

• nosuchluck
                          Sniper
                          • Aug 2004

haha.

another overlooked guitarist - John Sykes.

Comment

• Soul Reaper
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2005

John Sykes rules! It's a shame he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Comment

• DrMaddVibe
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

Kim Thayil

Rick Nielsen

Dick Dale

Junior Brown

Billy Gibbons

Vernon Reid

Spacey T.
                              http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...auders1zl5.gif
                              http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4...willywonka.gif

Comment

• Soul Reaper
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Jan 2005

George Lynch is one of best players I've ever heard and he doesn't get the same credit as EVH or Yngwie.

Comment

Working...