How can people deny the impact Nirvana had?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • academic punk
    Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

As Dave said, "Don't blame me for my bastard children."

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I checked out that link in Don's original post. Any fucking SHEEP who quotes the lyrics of fucking "Dreams" by Spam Hagar in his signature has absoulutely no validity whatsoever in their criticism of music.

Did Nirvana kick Van HALEN's ass? No, and Kurt Cobain would be the first one to say so. Like anyone else of this generation in this state, his formative years were spent listening to VH.

Did they kick Van Hagar's ass? Well, that's a no brainer, ain't it. I could use an old washtub for a drum with Satan accompanying me on lead pitchfork and some reject from American Idol singing and it would kick Van Hagar's ass.

Van Hagar, along with all the other cheese ballad spewing bullshit was so tired and dead by 1991 that something had to replace it.

Thank God something did. The fact that the "revolution" came from my own neighborhood only made it better
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Hardrock69
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2005

I am just glad that Curt KaBANG decided to write this really cool song called "I am a Splatterheaded Idiot".

All ya haveta do to play the song is go get a shotgun and pull the trigger (though I would advise ya to point it away from your head), unless you truly want to be as stupid as he was....

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Dude, that was fucking lame. You sound like one of those sheep on that halfassed board linked in the original post when you talk like that.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• fanofdave
            Foot Soldier
            • Jan 2004

nirvana was an ok band; personally i liked alice in chains better.

Comment

• DLR7884
              ROCKSTAR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by fanofdave
              nirvana was an ok band; personally i liked alice in chains better.
              Me too.

DLR7884
              Alice In Chains is so fucking underrated.
              Originally Posted by WARF:
              DLR7884 - This guy is one bad ass sonafabitch... I've seen him destroy peoples posting careers in a single sentence.

Comment

• academic punk
                Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Here's one thing that Kurt did that was utterly and completely original: never before had the world seen such a doomed, fragile rock star.

We've had the sex gods, the drug fiends, the intellectuals, the paranoid schizophrenics, and everything else. But Kurt's sad and helpless perspective was never really presented before in a rock star, and certainly not one of his following and influence. Even Axl was defiant and you had a legit concern that he would punch your fucking face in.

What does Kurt do right in the wake of becoming the biggest rock star in the world? Does he enjoy it, party and fuck a whole bunch of groupies? Nope. He gets kicked into rehabs for being a shut-in heroin addict, and gets married (to the scariest woman this side of Tammy Faye) to a woman who beats the shit out of him (whereas Axl maintained the rock star/alpha male prototype by being busted for punching up his wife, Erin Everly.

The guy didn't even wear cool clothes! As much as we all hear about G'n'R being flat borke when they started, they still had leather pants and teased hair from the get-go. Kurt just had his flannels and torn blue jeans (not even rock star black!)

But I don't think ANYONE outside of the band's immediate circle realized just how honest Kurt's public persona was to the private. There was no rock star pose with this guy. He was exactly who he presented himself as.

Comment

• Rikk
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Great post, AP. Great description.

One could argue that JOY DIVISION's IAN CURTIS was just as hopeless...but he wasn't really a rock star...not nearly as much of a public figure.

Anyway, great post. There'll be a Christmas bonus for you this year.
                  Roth Army Militia

Originally posted by WARF
                  Rikk - The new school of the Roth Army... this dude leads the pack... three words... The Sheep Pen... this dude opened alot of doors for people during this new era... he's the best of the new school.

Comment

• fe_lung
                    Sniper
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by academic punk
                    Seven Mary Three were the ablosute nadir.

Anyone remember "Cumbersome"?
                    Christ they suck. Wasn't their record named American Standard after the toilet manufacturing company.

Actually, they were from my area. I think the singer bagged my groceries the other night!

Comment

• flappo
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2004

the only impact kurt had was his brains on his carpet

fucking boring

even his main song was a rip off of a boston classic

how fucking ironic

Comment

• Full Bug
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jan 2004

Never cared for him, personally I think they were overrated....Still trying to figure out what the hell he was saying in Smells Like Teen Spirit....
                        Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• academic punk
                          Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Teen Spirit has one of the best examples of petry withi a rock lyric:

And I forget just why I taste
                          Oh, yeah, I guess it makes me smile

NO ONE at the time caught the blatant heroin reference there. Pretty amnazing from this distance.

Also, Come As You Are, before anyone else makes another tasteless comment abot "I'm glad he did have a gun", that was also poetic rather than literal: Kurt saying "I sweatr that I don't have a gun" in the context of the lyric is saying he isn't going to stand in judgement on anyone.

"Come as you are, as you were, as I want you to be", etc etc. The song's protagonist just wants the person's presence, regardless if they're clean or dirty (Doused in mud/soaked in bleach), filled with God or atheistic, excited or apathetic, paranoid or calm. It is one of the best lyrics of the 90s.

Comment

• Jesterstar
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jan 2004

Re: How can people deny the impact Nirvana had?

Originally posted by Don Corleone
                            Take a look;

Now don't get me wrong comparing EVH to Cobain in terms of technicl ability is like compairing Jesterstar (Cobain) to a retard (EVH) in terms of wits (Jester would get owned again). But to deny the impact Nirvana had is just ignorance.
                            ACtually JESTERSTAR is Quite Clever. I OWNED A whoel thread without even really having to say shit about it
                            Seshmeister is such a STUD.........OOOOOOOOOO

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/im...cnesbitt_1.jpg

Comment

• Soul Reaper
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by flappo
                              the only impact kurt had was his brains on his carpet

fucking boring

even his main song was a rip off of a boston classic

how fucking ironic
                              LOL

Even Kurt said, "In Smells Like Teen Spirit I was trying to rip off The Pixies".

If that's the song you're on about.
                              ROTH ARMY YOUTUBE CHANNEL:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=RothArmyVideos

"May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face." - Frank Zappa to Tipper Gore

Comment

• bfm
                                Groupie
                                • Mar 2005

Not the biggest kurt fan but.....
                                he made some allright songs, and he didnt splat himself he was shot by someone alse

Comment

Working...