X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve Savicki
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by SilvioDante
    1. MTV!!!!
    Makes me wonder what videos would've looked like pre that era... would every classic rock video follow Pink Floyd's "the wall"?
    Anyways, did MTV just commercialize everything period?
    sigpic

Comment

• ALinChainz
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

I think they did. The first video I ever saw on MTV was The Rolling Stones, "Going to a GO-GO", a live concert performance of the song. I thought if every video is going to be like this, oh hell yeah.

Ended up being oh hell no. Now look what it is.

Comment

• Full Bug
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jan 2004

Dont forget Janis Joplin, for a gal at her time she kicked ass, still love listening to her old stuff, she rocked, my dad was never really into rock n roll as such, but he loved listening to her, and that was great music, never forget Janis......
        Diamond Mafia Forever - 4. To restore fullbug to the prominent place in this board, after various serious attacks by hitch1969 have now damaged his reputation and now is reguarded as a "Retarded, Stoned, Canadian, Dog finger bangin' fuckup"

Comment

• Steve Savicki
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
          The entire music industry is controlled by 4 huge corporations. Radio in most major markets is controlled by 3 companies.
          I assume the corps are

Warner Bros.
          CBS
          RCA
          Sony

Am I right?

Are Time-Warner-AOL the 3 companies?
          sigpic

Comment

• SilvioDante
            Head Fluffer
            • Jan 2004

I am convinced MTV takes payola. You can't tell me otherwise. Michael Jackson payed them in the late 80's to refer to him as the "King of Pop'. True story! That and they don't play music but for about 2 hours a day. MTV2 is mostly that rap-core crap.

I also think that the computer age helped in the demise. Record companies don't have to pay bands anymore. Just one computer programmer and a vocalist.

Anyone who trades in their guitar for a synth is a fag!!!

Opps, sorry Edward!
            "Don't try to confuse the issue with half truths and gorilla dust." - Bill NcNeal

Comment

• flappo
              Banned
              • Jan 2004

..steve savicki's birth , the day a slitty eyed cunt who talks utter bollox came into the world

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Steve Savicki
                I assume the corps are

Warner Bros.
                CBS
                RCA
                Sony

Am I right?

Are Time-Warner-AOL the 3 companies?
                Sony bought CBS, so they're the same...i'm thinking it's WB, Vivendi Universal, and Sony.
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Steve Savicki
                  • Jan 2004

Don't remember any CDs from a Vivendi label. Do they specialize in any form of music?
                  sigpic

Comment

• thebuldawg
                    Roadie
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                    The final demise of rock n roll is synonymous with what is proving to be the final demise of America in general - massive corporate consolidation. The entire music industry is controlled by 4 huge corporations. Radio in most major markets is controlled by 3 companies. The result so far is some of the most pathetic music in existence. Can you name anybody on the current Billboard chart who can even write songs and play musical instruments. Only in country music, it would seem. But the Clear Channel corporate masters are trying to transform that entire genre into BCE propaganda with mindless shit like Toby Keith and Darryl Worley, singing lyrics that might as well have been written by Karl Rove himself.
                    Ain't that the truth.

Other than that, here's my five.

1. Lennon hooked up with Yoko.
                    2. Sammy joined VH and they still used the Van Halen name.
                    3. Grunge music.
                    4. Alternative music.
                    5. The dumbass VH brothers didn't keep Dave for more than BOV1.
                    "Whatever happens... happens."
                    -Spike Spiegel-

Comment

• Golden AWe
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

I don't know what is this huge amount of blaming grunge once again...hair metal bands that had no talent died, so what?

There's been a lot of crap bands on every genre but the talented one's will survive no matter what...

Ok Nirvana is overrated but they wrote some good straight-ahead tunes too...if they are asked to play their biggest hit "Smells like..." on a tv-show and they do "Rape me" instead I think it's cool. Besides Dave Grohl is one helluva good drummer and a pretty good songwriter too...

Soundgarden was more metal in my opinion...Badmotorfinger and Superunknown are one of the best albums ever..."Jesus christ pose" and "Superunknown", what more do I have to say.

Alice In Chains was great though they only made a few records...and Jerry Cantrell has made two great solo records after that...

Pearl Jam - everybody doesn't like them but I do...it's all those Pearl Jam-Eddie Vedder wannabes like Creed and Nickelback that suck big time...

Stone Temple Pilots - Scott Weiland is one stupid drug addict but his voice is great and they made several great album with some cool, dark sounds...

Everybody don't approach life and their lyrics like Diamond Dave but that's ok, if it suits the music...some do live on the dark side too and let them be there if they can come up with some good music...
                      Originally posted by Cato
                      Golden, why are you FAT?
                      Originally posted by lesfunk
                      Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
                      http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• Steve Savicki
                        • Jan 2004

I thought alternative and grunge were the same... to an extent
                        Originally posted by Golden AWe
                        I don't know what is this huge amount of blaming grunge once again...hair metal bands that had no talent died, so what?
                        What makes a hair band talented? They all sound alike to me.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Dave IS VH

There are some good hair bands!!!!!!

Poison
                          Gn'R
                          Warrant
                          Skid Row
                          Motley Crue
                          Bon Jovi
                          Def Leppard

"Some people" consider VH and DLR solo era a Hair band as well, so not all hair bands wore bad, but the ones that had no talent and relied on their looks, are the bands that went down the toilet. When they got older and lost their looks.

All the Boy Bands today are the same way, except there are no good boy bands. Give it a few years when they get older and their looks start going to hell. That will be it for their careers, because they have no fucking talent to fall back on, which is what bands and artiest should be judge on is music not looks!!!!!!!!

Comment

• LooseMenace

Then you have a band like...Ugly Kid Joe. What to make of them? Untalented "hair band," deserving their demise? Or exceptional newcomer, late to the party, after all the ladies have paired off? Let's see..

1. Pretty fucking excellent vocalist in Whitfield Crane
                            2. Stupendous and numerous hooks
                            3. Super-heavy "metal" tone
                            4. Funny, funky lyrics (even if you thought they were goofy and infantile - many metalheads never bothered to buy the album, they just went by "I Hate Everything About You" and a Harry Chapin cover)
                            5. Rob Halford laying typically awesome screaming vocal tracks on the
                            second track of "America's Least Wanted."

And now, one of the guitarists has received an Emmy (or Oscar, can't remember) for his production work with Evanescence... but no one knows who he is...

Yep, the "metal" days are kinda' hard to nail down to IF THEY WERE TALENTED, they made it through Cobain's miserable existence.

Comment

• twonabomber
                              formerly F A T
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Steve Savicki
                              Don't remember any CDs from a Vivendi label. Do they specialize in any form of music?
                              Vivendi Universal labels include:

Interscope
                              Geffen
                              A&M
                              Island Def Jam Music Group
                              MCA Nashville
                              Mercury Records
                              Mercury Nashville
                              Lost Highway
                              Polydor
                              Barclay
                              Universal Motown Records Group
                              Decca
                              Deutsche Grammophon
                              Philips
                              ECM
                              Verve Music Group
                              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Cathedral
                                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                                • Jan 2004

New Wave Music (Flock of Seagulls etc.)
                                Elvis dying on the throne
                                Half of Skynyrd dying
                                Lennon being shot to death
                                Warrant (Last big act signed under the Rock and Roll Genre)

I was not a big fan of hair bands because they all took Daves schtick and femmed it out like utter gutter fags wearing pink.

Case and point? White Lion (They thought they were Van Halen)

Comment

Working...