Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • academic punk
    Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Jagger was also the one who wrote "Undercover" and "She Was Hot".

He was also the one to go through the vaults to rediscover "Start Me Up".

The song dated back to the mid-70s, but for one take, it was played as reggae. Jagger while looking for material for Tattoo You, re-found the first take, played it for keith, who was amazed at how good and powerful the song was. they gave it to one of the best engineers isn the business to clean up (Bob Clearmountain), and the rest is history.

Comment

• FORD
      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by academic punk
      Jagger was also the one who wrote "Undercover" and "She Was Hot".

He was also the one to go through the vaults to rediscover "Start Me Up".

The song dated back to the mid-70s, but for one take, it was played as reggae. Jagger while looking for material for Tattoo You, re-found the first take, played it for keith, who was amazed at how good and powerful the song was. they gave it to one of the best engineers isn the business to clean up (Bob Clearmountain), and the rest is history.
      There's two different demos for "Start Me Up" The first was the "reggae demo" which came from the Black & Blue sessions. During the Some Girls sessions, they brought the song back, but slowed it down, and Charlie changed the beat from reggae to a standard rock groove. This demo was basically the same "Start Me Up" that appears on the Tattoo You album, minus the vocals.

Actually, most of the songs on Tattoo You are like that. Completed (except for vocals) and stashed in the vaults. Some of the vocals on the working versions are more interesting than the "official" versions as well.

The exception is "Worried About You" That song was completely finished during the Tattoo You sessions, it's just that the completed song was over 7 minutes in length, and they didn't know where it would fit in the album. Bob Clearmountain managed to edit it down to 4 1/2 minutes for Tattoo You, but it's interesting to hear what the song really sounded like. Most of the songs on Some Girls were considerably longer than their official releases as well. Makes you wonder what the album might have been if an 80 minute format was possible in 1978.
      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• academic punk
        Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Originally posted by FORD
        There's two different demos for "Start Me Up" The first was the "reggae demo" which came from the Black & Blue sessions. During the Some Girls sessions, they brought the song back, but slowed it down, and Charlie changed the beat from reggae to a standard rock groove. This demo was basically the same "Start Me Up" that appears on the Tattoo You album, minus the vocals.

Actually, most of the songs on Tattoo You are like that. Completed (except for vocals) and stashed in the vaults. Some of the vocals on the working versions are more interesting than the "official" versions as well.

The exception is "Worried About You" That song was completely finished during the Tattoo You sessions, it's just that the completed song was over 7 minutes in length, and they didn't know where it would fit in the album. Bob Clearmountain managed to edit it down to 4 1/2 minutes for Tattoo You, but it's interesting to hear what the song really sounded like. Most of the songs on Some Girls were considerably longer than their official releases as well. Makes you wonder what the album might have been if an 80 minute format was possible in 1978.

The Stones are at their best with a maximum of 12 songs on an album, and when the songs don't last more than 5 minutes. Exile is an exception, but the way it's paced - rock side, countryish acoustic side, rock, rock - help them get away with it that once.

I thought "Worried About You" was the one that Mick Taylor successfully sued them for, because they used his solo from the 1973 session when the song was written? I know one of the Tattoo songs is this...I'm pretty damn sure it's "Worried".

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by academic punk
          The Stones are at their best with a maximum of 12 songs on an album, and when the songs don't last more than 5 minutes. Exile is an exception, but the way it's paced - rock side, countryish acoustic side, rock, rock - help them get away with it that once.

I thought "Worried About You" was the one that Mick Taylor successfully sued them for, because they used his solo from the 1973 session when the song was written? I know one of the Tattoo songs is this...I'm pretty damn sure it's "Worried".
          The Mick Taylor songs on Tattoo You are "Tops" and "Waiting On A Friend" both originating from 1973 sessions, but not released because of the incomplete vocals (as previously mentioned) "Worried About You" was recorded totally during the Black and Blue sessions, but it's been rumored that the guitar solo on that song might have been played by Peter Frampton. Sounds more like him than it does Keith or Woody. Or Mick Taylor for that matter.

Remember that the Stones were officially "auditioning" guitarists during the Black & Blue sessions, even though they already had their mind made up as to who they wanted.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• academic punk
            Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Mick is on Waiting On a Friend???!? That's news.

I know they got Sonny Rollins for the sax parts on that and "Slave" and I think "Neighbors".

Tops sounds right for Taylor's solo, though. That definitely has his vibe.

BTW, I happen to like Black and Blue a bit. There's one guy on there who seemed to fit well...I think Wayne Perkins or Harvery Mandel?

It was the guy who actually played the solo on Marley's "Stir It Up".

His playing fit well. But, yeah, no contest in terms of Woody being the overall best fit, bot playing and personality wise. (though for a while he was turning too much into a Keith mini-me.)

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Shit.... I might have been a little off on "Waiting On A Friend"

www.keno.org a very reliable Stones site says that one goes all the way back to 1970!!

And he says a guy named Wayne Perkins played on "Worried About You"

Tops was as I said though, Goats Head Soup era
              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• academic punk
                Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

keno.org?

And I prided myself on knowing all the Stones stories...

Never heard of it, but looks and smells like a solid resource. Cool. Another five stars for ya (theoretically).

Comment

• FORD
                  ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Hey the guy's got details on every song the Stones ever recorded, even the boots!

Most Stones fans have probably heard "Good Time Women", but how many of them know that Mick played bass on the track and that Keith Richards and Bill Wyman were completely MIA on the track.
                  Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• academic punk
                    Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Apparenly, Bill would only show up for sessions if Keith was there.

He would have roadies call him when Keith arrived at the studio b/c Keith was always so late, if he showed up at all. And Bill believed that the sessions weren't productive or worthwhile unless Keith was there.

(I'm certain drugs had nothing to do with Keith's habitual lateness and absenses)

I believe that songs like "Emotional Rescue" and Tattoo's "Heaven" were all Mick, Ron, and Bill.
                    Last edited by academic punk; 07-23-2005, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

You mean Mick, Ron, and Charlie, right?
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• academic punk
                        Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

You mean Mick, Ron, and Charlie, right?

In the case of those songs, Mick, Ron and Bill. Bill did the synth parts on "Heaven". Mick ladi down drums on one, Ron on the other. Which is which I forget.

Charlie is actually asent on many more Stones tracks than you'd think.

"You Can't Always get What You Want" and "Happy" for example, feature their then producer Jimmy Miller. Half of Dirty Work - when Charlie himself finally succumbed to a heroin addiction - is actually Steve jordan or Ron.

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2004

Anyone know who did the instruments on the Performance version of Memo from Turner??

Sounds like Ry Cooder on the slide, or someone basically nailing his style. Sounds like it could be Keith on rhythm guitar

How about on the fuzz bass?

any idea?

Comment

• academic punk
                            Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
                            Anyone know who did the instruments on the Performance version of Memo from Turner??

Sounds like Ry Cooder on the slide, or someone basically nailing his style. Sounds like it could be Keith on rhythm guitar

How about on the fuzz bass?

any idea?
                            It is indeed the one and only Ry Cooder.

Keith was upset with his girlfriend and Mick sharing nude scenes in the movie (as well he should be - they wound up fucking on tape and winning some French ciname award for their - er - performance), so he continually sabotaged the sessions for the movie's music by either not showing up, or playing the songs as badly as possible. Eventually, Mick got Ry to play the parts. Mick I believe playe the rhythm guitar (as he does on the Stones "Sway", "Moonlight Mile", and many others)

That's a great tune, by the way. How many other rock tunes address miscarriages? ("My lady said/The baby's dead/You gentlemen all work for me")

(Marianne Faithful had in fact just had a miscarriage around the time that Mick wrote the song.

Comment

• Big Fat Sammy
                              Veteran
                              • Feb 2005

Hey the guy's got details on every song the Stones ever recorded, even the boots!

Most Stones fans have probably heard "Good Time Women", but how many of them know that Mick played bass on the track and that Keith Richards and Bill Wyman were completely MIA on the track.
                              Keith is MIA on Shine A Light....one of my favs from Exile, as well. As far as Bill goes......according to the Keno site, Mick T. is credited w/ bass...but bill claims it's a mistake and he played on it.

Comment

• Big Fat Sammy
                                Veteran
                                • Feb 2005

That Keno.org site is a very cool resource....

...I guess the only song that Jagger/Richards ever wrote that started with a "K"...is Key to your love...from 40 Licks.

Comment

Working...