• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr Badguy
    Sorry Panamark, but I can`t agree.

Yes the original line up`s albums were highly influential but in terms of songs, production, performance and energy, it`s (in my opinion) their best LP.

I don`t think it`s fair to compare to 5150 as it was shit compared to Dave-era VH.

"Heaven and hell" was a total reinvention as Sabbath hadn`t made a decent LP since "Sabotage" where as VH had made one of their best in "1984".

Without Dio, I don`t think Sabbath would have made it past 1980.

One of the reasons why people have so much respect for Sabbath is that they`ve been around so long, longer without Ozzy than with and they made more consistantly good albums with Dio.

"Heaven and hell", "Mob rules" and "Dehumanizer" were all great.

"Technical ecstacy" and "Never say die" showed that Ozzy era Sabbath had nothing more to offer after their original cement mixer styled HM well ran dry.

Dio was the man who proved that there was life after Ozzy, the right guy at the right time.

Maybe the only guy that could have done it.

Dio era Sabbath should get more respect than it does.

I agree with most of what you say, except personally I feel original Sabbath were a better band. It does draws some Hagar-esque parallels as DIO Sabbath and Ozzy Sabbath were different. As was Van Hagar and Van Halen.

My deciding factor is the "chill factor". Songs that have that extra something special about them that give you the chills. I listen to Ozzy songs like Spiral City Architect, Back Street Kids, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and War Pigs and that chil factor is there bigtime.
    Much like Ozzy's albums with Randy. There was something special going on. Much like Dave and Van Halen. DIO sabbath was fookin great ! But I didnt gets the chills, like I do with original Sabbath with Ozzy. But Im not denying the greatness of DIO. Hell, personal musical interpretation is a very unique thing.
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Mr Badguy
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I thought "Mob rules" was more of an attempt to get back to the "horror" style of early Sabbath, while "Heaven and hell" was more mainstream.

There are some real dark songs on there like "Voodoo", "Sign of the southern cross" and "Falling off the edge of the world".

And "E5150" is real wierd.

If Dio had stayed with Sabbath, I think they would have continued to make excellent albums instead of the much of the dross they released in the mid 80`s.

He fused Iommi`s brutal riffs into memorable songs, I think, better than anyone else.
      sigpic

Sitting on a park bench!

Comment

• ashstralia
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Feb 2004

sorry, mark, i just got back to this thread.
        um, no, i didn't see rjd in '86, and i don't know why.
        cause i was livin in sydney, and all my mates an' me were little
        metal grom's; same like you.
        i saw a vid of him + viv once.... pretty cool.

Comment

• Panamark
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

The Sydney show was meant to be really good from what I was told. Ya missed out !!
          Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• tobinentinc
            Head Fluffer
            • Apr 2004

Do you guys Remember Hear 'N Aid?? He wrote Stars?? What do you think??
            http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...hics/sines.gif http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...m/kissarmy.jpg http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...ve/vhlogo1.gif

Comment

• cwsmith17
              Sniper
              • Apr 2004

No.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Panamark
                NO!

Im a big DIO fan and yes, Heaven and Hell was fantastic, but nothing beats the original Black Sabbath. Thats like saying 5150 was better than the original Van Halen albums...
                Original Sabbath was the best !!!
                Yup.
                “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Panamark
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by tobinentinc
                  Do you guys Remember Hear 'N Aid?? He wrote Stars?? What do you think??
                  No shit, Ive got the original VHS release of this. Actually its kinda cool as they assembled all these metal guitarists and vocalists at the time. The extended version of the song featured the extended lead solo where all the guitarists did their own little solo. I reckon its pretty interesting and a good record of that time in metal. As for the song ? It sounds a lot like Rainbow in the Dark. But its cool.

The metal equivalent at the time to Bob Geldofs Feed Africa effort.
                  Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• ALMOSTsaved
                    Veteran
                    • Feb 2004

Except for "Rainbow In The Dark" and "Holy Diver" I was never a big Dio fan.
                    I like to pay close attention to the things I'll forget later...

Comment

• weesfreewheelin
                      Roadie
                      • Mar 2004

Anybody ever check out Dio's Strange Highway? Hard rockin album

Comment

• ALinChainz
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Like his Sabbath work a lot. Like his first 2 solo albums, but what followed never measured up in my opinion. Like Ozzy, seemed to go through guitarists a lot and the could never recapture the sound.

Overall, though, liked him. Good show live.

Comment

• Mezro
                          Full Member Status

• May 2004

Ozzy, Dio, Ozzy, Dio, Ozzy, Dio....we all know that "Born Again" with Ian Gillian was the best Sabbath ever.

Mezro...yeah, that and fucking "headless cross"
                          Got me a date with a shaved Asian. I know, I know; I think it's fucked!

Comment

• FORD
                            ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Just like Van Hagar, Sabbath w/Dio should be thought of as a completely separate band from the real Black Sabbath.

Unlike Van Hagar though, they weren't a complete fucking embarrassment to the legacy of the original group. Heaven & Hell, Mob Rules, and Dehumanizer were kickass albums.
                            Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mezro
                              Ozzy, Dio, Ozzy, Dio, Ozzy, Dio....we all know that "Born Again" with Ian Gillian was the best Sabbath ever.

Mezro...yeah, that and fucking "headless cross"
                              Purple Sabbath didn't stay around long enough to get the recognition they deserved, but let's face it, the only Black Sabbath albums after that were "Dehumanizer" and "Reunion".

Those Tony Iommi solo albums were not even remotely Black Sabbath.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• tobinentinc
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                                Just like Van Hagar, Sabbath w/Dio should be thought of as a completely separate band from the real Black Sabbath.

Unlike Van Hagar though, they weren't a complete fucking embarrassment to the legacy of the original group. Heaven & Hell, Mob Rules, and Dehumanizer were kickass albums.
                                Couldn't agree with you more.
                                http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip...hics/sines.gif http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...m/kissarmy.jpg http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...ve/vhlogo1.gif

Comment

Working...