X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Originally posted by bueno bob
    Well, it's not too bad, when you get right down to it...U.S. jaunts with Ozzy will own everything else, no doubt, but they were barely fitting in 300 a night with Tony Martin at the helm...2500 with Dio's nothing to sneeze at...
    No it's not, 2500 isn't bad and with the name Black Sabbath they would have had a far easier time with publicity I'll bet.

But having said that, what about the attendences at other gigs, was this a one off?

I would imagine they can do better than 2,500 - I reckon Megadeth could probably do 2500 on there own.

They are booked to play arena's over here, 10,000 + every night....
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• The_KiD
      Commando
      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
      Just back from the Ottawa show. A pathetic showing in terms of crowd numbers. I'd be surprised if there was 2500. But enthusiastic...

Down had a pretty good showing, and got some love from the crowd.

Megadeth clearly had the crowd by the balls. Once they launched into Symphony of Destruction and Peace Sells, we were in a frenzy.

Sabbath put on a great show! Ronnie in superb voice! The only thing he can't do anymore is hit that high note in Neon Knights. But the band was tight. Ronnie, Geezer and Vinny seeming to have fun, while Tony seemed kind of bored most of the night. But he still was ripping solos like crazy. He seems to be using the peddal a lot more than he ever did.

Pretty much most tunes you'd want to hear, with the excpetion of Country Girl. I seriously question opening with After All. Once they launched into Mob Rules in the second song, the crowd went nuts. I think this is the whole setlist, but I may be forgetting:

01. E5150
      02. After All (The Dead)
      03. The Mob Rules
      04. Children of The Sea
      05. Lady Evil
      06. Ear In The Wall
      07. I
      08. The Sign of The Southern Cross
      09. Voodoo
      10. The Devil Cried
      11. Vinny Appice Solo
      12. Computer God
      13. Falling Off The Edge of The World
      14. Shadow of The Wind
      15. Die Young
      16. Heaven and Hell
      Encore
      17. Neon Knights
      Thanks for the synopsis.. What a great setlist.. I am going to try and catch them here..

KiD

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69

Nov. 09 - UK - Manchester Evening News Arena, Manchester
        *Sigh* I'm gonna be knackered in November.

9th?

That means I'll have Southside Johnny on Thurday, H + H on Friday and The Temptatins/4 Tops on Saturday.

What a strange combination of days.
        Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• bueno bob
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jul 2004

Well, at least they're not all on the same bill, lmao...
          Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
            Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Seems my crowd estimate was a little low according to the Ottawa Sun review. I guess more people were packed into general admission than I could tell from my 100 level seat. (great seat by the way)...

What I do love is that accross town, Rockstar: Taste of Chaos only drew 2200! HAHAHA! Long live real bands!

Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
              Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

For those not inclined to follow the link:

Faithful show for faithful fans!
              REVIEW: Heaven and Hell, Megadeth
              By DENIS ARMSTRONG, SUN MEDIA

How many bands as big and bad as Black Sabbath a.k.a Heaven & Hell, could switch singers and not lose a single fan?

Not many, as 4,000 fans strong who turned out to see Ronnie James Dio's version of Black Sabbath at Ottawa's Civic Centre proved last night.

Hey, if Sabbath fans are anything, they're loyal to the legendary British metal monsters, no matter what name they go by.

The second generation Sabbath made ears bleed on the most recent stop of their Canadian tour, sounding just as good as they did in 1980 when the diminuitive wailer and former Rainbow frontman Ronnie James Dio stepped into the chronically self-destructive Ozzy Osbourne's shoes.

Dio's on-again, off-again relationship lasted just long enough to record five records and though he never completely exorcised Ozzy's more theatrical spirit from the band, Dio's superior metal and blues style vocals opened up musical possibilities that Ozzy couldn't match.

By most accounts, Dio's first recording with Sabbath "Heaven & Hell" is one many now regard as an essential Sabbath recording, and a turning-point for the band, important enough to revisit all over again 27 years later.

Last night's gig proved there's still a lot of life left in the black leather and crucifix-wearing goth-fathers fronted by Dio with guitarist Tony Iommi, bass-player Geezer Butler and drummer Vinny Appice and their live version of the soon-to-be-released retrospective, "Black Sabbath: The Dio Years."

Playing against a set of a castle dungeon with all the spooky atmosphere of a cemetery at night, the lads opened with the bone-rattling dirge "After All (The Dead)" and the testosterone-pumping "Mob Rules" that also took full advantage of the spectacular laserium lighting and video show.

But the real histrionics came from the veteran band. At their best, an unflappable Iommi delivered a continuous stream of scotching guitar licks, while Butler's bass counterpunched like a virtuoso, leaving the charismatic Dio to wail at operatic levels.

Though the band performed at top level, there just didn't seem to be enough good material to fill the two-hour setlist, which, after a good opening, got seriously bogged down by forgettable, long-winded fantasies "Children of the Sea", "Voodoo", "Sign of the Southern Cross", "Falling Off the Edge of the World" and "The Shadow of the Wind." Enough for an extended, head-bobbing metal moment, but ultimately, missing the fist-pumping excitement of "Lady Evil", "The Devil Cried", "Die Young" and "Heaven & Hell".

Or even pre-Dio classics such as "Sweet Leaf", "War Pigs" or "Iron Man." They were nowhere in sight. But this was Ronnie James Dio's Black Sabbath and no one else's.

Megadeth opened for Heaven & Hell with a high-voltage set worth the price of admission.

REVIEW:
              Heaven and Hell with Megadeth
              Ottawa Civic Centre
              "Bone-rattling"
              Rating: 3 of 5
              Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

Cheers for the review Mr. V!

Can't wait to see that stage!

Comment

• bueno bob
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

Sounds OK. I have to say though, opening with After All probably isn't the best way to get a high start to the night...After All is more of a "halfway through the show" song, I think...

Hopefully they'll be opening with Mob Rules by the time they get to my neck of the woods...
                  Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

I don't understand why the reviewers want them to do Ozzy-era stuff...

We've had 10+ years of reunion to see/hear that, so why do it again?

And if they did, the same reviwers sould say "well, Dio can't sing Ozzy like Ozzy...".

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

And as for there not being enough good material to fill two hours...puurrlease....

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Oct 2004

Did you get tickets, Bin?
                      Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

Not yet no.

I have persuaded Mrs binnie to see the Scorps (yay!!) and am now on to stage 2 of my plan: persuade her to see Sabbath!!!!!!

She has already agreed to Alice Cooper and Motorhead!!!!

The problem now is cash: Scorps tickets are about £40 with all the booking fee and other bollocks included, so that's £80, and Ive just forked out for Metallica so I am skint!

Heaven and Hell will be next on the spending list, then Alice/Motorhead.

Student life doesn't sit well with all these great tours!

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Oct 2004

Lucky its not til November then, ain't it (can't see it selling oot mega-quickly).

I got mine that morning for Manchester.
                          Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

No, I can't see it selling out very quickly either.

In fact, I'll be surprised if it comes close to selling out (not saying it won't do well, mind).

If they take out some decent support acts it will be a fantastic night though!

Comment

• bueno bob
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

There's no point to playing Paranoid, Iron Man, and War Pigs for the 1000000000th time. The fans have had the same set list shoved down their throats for years now because Ozzy won't do anything else and it's a set list that covers about the first three albums and that's it.

Tony and Geezer were VISIBLY fucking bored to tears with it and said so publically over and over. Geezer went to Ozzy himself begging to change the setlist up, but Ozzy, of course, can't do anything outside of the seven Sabbath songs he remembers.

Frankly, a Dio fronted Sabbath is good enough NOT to have to rely on Ozzy shit to get them through the night, and critics be damned, they seem to be doing that just fine according to the ticket sales.

Fuck the critics.
                              Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

• bueno bob
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jul 2004

Now it's time to go buy my copy of THE DIO YEARS!!!

Twistin' by the pool.

Comment

Working...