Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grant
    Sniper
    • Feb 2005

Shame, I was looking forward to their latest tour. I think (and hope) Noel will get back with the group. Bloody hell, after all these years of in-band fighting (not to mention being attacked by Liam with tamborines, as well as being publicly booed on MTV Unplugged) why all of sudden now? If anything though this whole incident will probably inspire him to bring out some more emotionally-charged songs like 'Talk Tonight', 'It's Good To Be Free', and 'Half The World Away' which he done after the first "break-up" in 1994 on the American tour.

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
    I haven't listened to them as much lately, but I consider myself a fan of Oasis and loved them in the 90s.
    If you haven't checked out their latest album, Dig Out Your Soul, I totally recommend it. IMO, is their best work since What's The Story.... The highlights are 'Falling Down', 'The Turning', 'The Shock Of The Lightning', and the ballad (written by Liam) 'I'm Outta Time' which features a haunting snippet of John Lennon's last radio interview with the BBC's Andy Peebles.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by chan_bkny
      Awww. It's all right. It just means we wouldn't have run into each other in the "O" section of the record store, but we'd have met in the "D" section ("D" for Down and Danzig).
      We'd have met in the D section, and I would have followed you to the O section.

Comment

• Master Yoda
        Full On Cocktard
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by The Elfoid_TFS
        Ah, Oasis were a British institution and a reliable part of our culture to lean back on. One of the few interesting groups to emerge from the 90s. Big fan, me, but I only got into them a year ago - I was 8 when they ended the BritPop era with Be Here Now so I missed out on the Oasismania thing and it took me a while to come around to them.

Very, very good band with two very good lead vocalists (for those of you who haven't followed the band in recent years, Noel became a far more prominent singer within the band).

And while all their music retained that huge Beatles influence, their big hit Morning Glory? definitely carried more of The Beatles sound than anything else they did. 2005's Don't Believe The Truth was probably the nearest they came to doing an album of rip-offs but it picked from a greater multitude of sources than just The Beatles.

===

It's quite amazing how many of you are unaware Oasis didn't still exist when their album last year hit number 5 in the US charts and a single hit number 12 in the modern rock charts. I mean, a band don't do that if no one's listening right? Their power to dominate the British singles charts was very impressive in this modern era where nothing's fashionable for more than ten seconds. They weren't what they were, but managed to be a huge presence for 15 years.

A few facts:

60 million album sales.

They were embarking on an absolutely huge tour just recently, which set the record for most British tickets sold in one day by a band (500, 000, for their stadium leg). Total UK shows this tour: 19 UK arenas on the 2008 leg, and 9 stadiums, 2 arenas, 1 theatre and 2 festivals on the 2009 leg (sickness meant a cancellation of one festival). Their last major UK tours were 2006 and 2005 so it's not as if this was the first tours in ages.

Their albums consistently sold a lot and charted highly in the UK and globally, they just felt the death of Britpop more in America than anywhere else. Worldwide sales, UK chart positions and certifications:
        1994: Definitely Maybe (7.5 million) - UK 7x Plat, #1
        1995: (What's the Story) Morning Glory? (19.5 million) - UK 12x Plat, #1
        1997: Be Here Now (7 million) - UK 6x Plat, #1
        1998: The Masterplan (b-sides compilation, 1.5 million) - UK Plat, #2
        2000: Standing on the Shoulders of Giants (3 million) - UK 2x Plat, #1
        2000: Familiar to Millions (live double, 1 million) - UK Plat, #5
        2002: Heathen Chemistry (4 million) - UK 3x Plat, #1
        2005: Don't Believe the Truth (3.5 million) - UK 3x Plat, #1
        2006: Stop The Clocks (double hits set, 2.5 million) - UK 4x Plat, #2
        2008: Dig Out Your Soul (2.5 million) - UK 3x Plat, #1

What was truly shocking was their British singles chart run though:
        1994: 31, 11, 10, 7, 3 (1 Gold, 3 Silver)
        1995: 1, 2, 2 (1 Platinum, 2 Gold)
        1996: 1 (1 Platinum)
        1997: 1, 2 (1 Platinum, 1 Gold)
        1998: 1 (1 Silver)

2000: 1, 4, 4 (1 Silver)

2002: 1, 2, 2 (1 Silver)
        2003: 3

2005: 1, 1, 2

2007: 10
        2008: 3, 12
        2009: 10

Late 94 - Late 08, all 22 singles they put out in a row hit the top 20. 18 of those made the top 5, with 8 hitting number one - including the lead single from the first six studio albums.

Maybe now it makes sense why it's a big deal to us, even if you guys won't bat an eyelid

They did a few smaller shows to warm-up culminating with an arena, then a coupla big shows at Hyde Park....the first one sold out in 2 minutes. Then Glastonbury, Oxygen 2009, T In The Park. They're now actively discussing if they'll maintain their reunion.
        Blur Store - they're presently organising double albums for each Hyde Park gig. They put out a new hits set (Midlife: A Beginner's Guide to Blur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) to coincide too.

Many facts there, fact boy padawan. Still shitty, it is.
        No choice but to wear brown corduoroy trousers everywhere, NickD has. Hmmphh.

Comment

• Master Yoda
          Full On Cocktard
          • Aug 2009

more blues rockabilly

------------------

"Wonderwall," perhaps one of the top ten songs of the 1990s

For real are you? Move to Manchester UK you must, limey wannabe.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Master Yoda
            For real are you? Move to Manchester UK you must, limey wannabe.
            Right, from the one that leeches onto the Brit humour® of the Dump™, oh Master Yankoff. Get fucked and go listen to your Van Hagar.
            Last edited by Nickdfresh; 09-01-2009, 08:37 AM.

Comment

• The Elfoid_TFS
              Groupie
              • Jun 2009

Many facts there, fact boy padawan. Still shitty, it is.
              I wasn't commenting on their quality. Just their impact and integral role in the fabric of British culture and now strange it is to find out you guys really were surprised, a lot of you, to know they still exist. Just like it probably surprises you to know that Van Halen only reached the UK top ten album charts on one occasion (Balance hit number 8).

Comment

• Golden AWe
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chan_bkny
                I love this version of "Live Forever." And how about the pic of little brother listening to big brother play guitar? Such a lovely harmonious sight.
                In this case the song should be called "Fight Forever"...
                Originally posted by Cato
                Golden, why are you FAT?
                Originally posted by lesfunk
                Much like yourself as the Jim Morrison of Nazi bunker flies
                http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...TheDMCross.jpg

Comment

• Master Yoda
                  Full On Cocktard
                  • Aug 2009

Just like it probably surprises you to know that Van Halen only reached the UK top ten album charts on one occasion (Balance hit number 8).

Really?? Surprised I am! Absolutely blown away! Don't stop, grand master of wiki editing, tell me more. But careful when springing something like that on me, you should!

Note that nugget of information down I should. Balance... number 8... UK charts... got it!

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

When I was at school 'Brit Pop' was in full swing and everyone, I mean EVERYONE, loved Oasis. Except me.

Maybe it's because I got into music at an early age, but all I heard was re-hashed Stones and Beatles ideas. Good, but certainly not approaching great. So, everyone was obsessed with 'Wonderwall' and I was much more interested in Sepultura's 'Roots'.

At least Blur did something close to original. And Pulp were more fun. But Oasis can still sell out stadiums here in a matter of minutes.

'Definitately Maybe' and 'What's The Story Morning Glory' are good rock n roll albums that ooze with attitude. But after that it was all downhill...
                    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• The Elfoid_TFS
                      Groupie
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by binnie
                      When I was at school 'Brit Pop' was in full swing and everyone, I mean EVERYONE, loved Oasis. Except me.

Maybe it's because I got into music at an early age, but all I heard was re-hashed Stones and Beatles ideas. Good, but certainly not approaching great. So, everyone was obsessed with 'Wonderwall' and I was much more interested in Sepultura's 'Roots'.

At least Blur did something close to original. And Pulp were more fun. But Oasis can still sell out stadiums here in a matter of minutes.

'Definitately Maybe' and 'What's The Story Morning Glory' are good rock n roll albums that ooze with attitude. But after that it was all downhill...
                      I did similar to you I guess...I kinda sat out the music scene. I was raised on The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, jazz and world music but never really listened to it because it's hard to appreciate music when your parents rarely play the same song twice - and it was predominantly jazz, which I still don't like. They name dropped the Stones and Beatles more than they listened to them, really.

And the stuff that people put on in school or radio did nothing for me. Somehow though, I didn't discover what I did like until ages later. I was 14, 15 maybe....friend won tickets in Kerrrang! to see Iron Maiden on their "Gimme 'Ed 'Till I'm Dead Tour" in 2003 and he introduced me to them. Started renting albums from the library and ripping them, then bought some in a store which had a great 2 for £10 deal on all the good stuff....after buying all of Maiden's discography I got into Def Leppard and Whitesnake. I think it was AC/DC after that, then Judas Priest.

Most of my peers either got into 'real' music dead early, or listened to crappy music then slowly worked their way into it - like a lot of guys I know who listen to classic rock and metal now started out with Linkin Park a few years back and then got into metalcore like Atreyu and Killswitch Engage, and they just ended up working backwards until they found themselves at classic rock or 80s/early 90s metal. I just seemed to sit around waiting for it to come along, never had a "shameful childhood tunes" stage.

I'm a child of the Spice Girls generation

Comment

• degüello
                        Sniper
                        • Mar 2004

Um, they were far from "whiny" and were far more blues rockabilly based...
                        LOL! That's a stretch.
                        "What we've been doing, which is great and certainly cost saving, is I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003

Comment

• Grant
                          Sniper
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by binnie
                          Maybe it's because I got into music at an early age, but all I heard was re-hashed Stones and Beatles ideas.
                          Indeed.

https://<object width="425" height="...mbed></object>

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2004

Yup. Oasis ,posterchildren of the industry hype machine... Borrrrrring......
                            Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

...and it was predominantly jazz, which I still don't like...

I have yet to meet a limey that actually does like jazz. No wonder how groups like the Spice Girls flourish in that country.

Comment

• The Elfoid_TFS
                                Groupie
                                • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Kristy
                                I have yet to meet a limey that actually does like jazz. No wonder how groups like the Spice Girls flourish in that country.
                                I have a lot of friends who like jazz. My friend Becca noodles away on her sax/piano/guitar (she's a very talented young lady) to jazz all the time. My school had a jazz band that had one guy who really knew his stuff too, always went down well when they performed.

I'd say I know a fair few jazz fans my own age and a number of older ones. I often get into "jazz vs blues" arguments with them, because I view blues as far superior. But my love of blues means I have met enough jazz fans to know they exist!

I don't hate jazz, I just like blues a lot more. And I kinda got knowledge of the blues world from rock music - artists like the Stones and Clapton namechecking blues guys and all that. It's kinda within my "sphere of knowledge" (which Britpop and Grunge and nu-metal only really entered about a year ago, because I'm still predominantly all about the 60s-80s in my interests), wheras Jazz is uncharted....a continent without a map. Somewhat unsure where to begin.

Comment

Working...