• Show
Clear All
  • Panamark
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

This is really quite interesting.
    Since my early teenage years I knew the "horns"
    before I knew DIO ? DIO god bless his soul is one of the
    best horn chuckers I have seen at a live concert.

Now, for the fuzzy bit....I got into early Sabbath that I think pre-dates
    Metal Dio, and there were horns there, or maybe brain correction is
    kickin in ??

I would have to say Sabbath mainstreamed it, but which component
    of Sabbs did it first ???
    BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
    Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Panamark
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Gene Simmonds introduced the big tongue thing. No Question.
      But not the horns.
      BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
      Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• kwame k
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
        Well, to be fair...Whitesnake's career started in 1977ish when they were a blues-rock band in the Micky Moody/Ian Paice/Jon Lord/Bernie Marsen/Neil Murray-esque line up.....
        I'll add..."Slide It In" .....Loved that album! Every single song was an innuendo about fucking! Of course, "Spit It Out" if you don't like it, was, well......not much of an innuendo.
        Originally posted by vandeleur
        E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
          Veteran
          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Kristy
          But none of it makes a douche like Snider a self-appointed spokesman for [i]his generation
          Why exactly is Dee a douche in your opinion?

I do respect Twisted Sister because they beat it around the club scene in the late 70's and earned their record contract. You Can't Stop Rock and Roll was a good album. Stay Hungry had a lot of good moments on it outside of the songs that got airplay, such as the title track. Come Out and Play sucked - no question. Love Is For Suckers was ok but has a couple of killer tunes on it. By that time, however, they were done in the public's eye. Instead, you had studio manufactured bands full of guys some executive thought would look good in a video. You know the routine - make 2 videos, have platunim album, make a second album that doesn't sell as well, and never be heard from again.
          RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
          LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• Shaun Ponsonby
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Oct 2004

Well said. But none of it makes a douche like Snider a self-appointed spokesman for his generation. I swear, what is it with rock stars who grow old and no longer can sell records..? As for t-shirts becoming fashion statements well that just makes me laugh. Back when I was modeling (and this is a back when I was modeling story) never in my life did I see so many wearing Ramones, The Cramps, Misfits (especially them) t-shirts and other paraphernalia without a clue as to who or what they were. Imagine my surprise when overnight a Ramone t-shirt which sold @$12-15 went for $60-75 simply because a model wore it on a runway. When asked what their all time fav Ramone album was this was the response I got: "Huh?"

But thank fuck we have Snider now. Yeah, he's going put everything right.
            You're reading far too much into it. Consequently, you're coming across like more of a douche than Dee ever has.

I might write that musical later.
            Fast & Bulbous, Got Me?

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Oh Terry, how could you forget the biggest douches of hair metal of all time?

Yes, that post-Whitesnake 1987 touring band and beyond was kinda lame, but I will readily echo what others have said re: Slide It In and the albums prior to that were some great, straight-up rock.

Even the 1987 album overall was instrumentally and compositionally a fairly solid bit of work. Yes, the lyrics were a bit meatheaded, trite and silly at times, but that's Coverdale for you - a million-dollar voice coupled with a ten cent head when it came to lyrics. AND there were a few points on the record where the songs were kind of a misuse of the caliber of musicians involved (Is This Love? and Children of the Night being the most egregious offenses). Bit of a shame the touring band weren't the same band that were on the album. Out goes Sykes, Dunbar and Murray, in comes Campbell (commencing his post-Dio waste-of-talent career - next stop...Def Leppard!!), Vandenburg (wow! I overdubbed one solo on the 1987 album!) and Sarzo/Aldridge (hey, we didn't play on the album...but we didn't play on Diary of a Madman, either and it worked just fine with Ozzy!).

In some ways, I can't blame Coverdale for softening up the sound and jumping on the stylistic bandwagon in the mid-1980s. By that point, the dude had been kicking around for more than a decade, playing with some of the greatest musicians in rock, and hadn't yet cracked the US market in a big way. There is some difference between that and, say, Poison...who never had any credibility to begin with and were cheese from day one.

But outside of Tawny Kitaen writhing around in those 1987-1988 promo videos, the look and presentation of Whitesnake 1987 WAS totally ridiculous.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Shaun Ponsonby
                You're reading far too much into it. Consequently, you're coming across like more of a douche than Dee ever has.

I might write that musical later.
                Nah, she's fairly close to the mark.

Perhaps 'douche' is a BIt too harsh.

How about marginally-talented, trend-following, lucky hack who caught a break?

I mean, just because Snider testified before Congress in a panel that included Frank Zappa and John Denver doesn't mean Snider was even close to Zappa in terms of ability or talent...or even Denver, for that matter.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Imapus_Sylicker

Now, that's just hippie gay.

Cheers! :bottle:

You're right, that is a bit too late-1960s wishy-washy.:0

Would a sign-off like "the only thing gayer than Twisted Sister are the tasteless fuckwits who like their music" have been a better way to end the post?

Peace.
                  Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Kristy
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Sorrrrrieeeeeeeeeeeeee all you worshipers of spandex. I didn't know such corporate metal was sacred to all of you.

Comment

• Anonymous
                      Banned
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                      Nah, she's fairly close to the mark.
                      No, she isn't. Couldn't be farther if she tried.

Perhaps 'douche' is a BIt too harsh.
                      It is.

That's better.

I mean, just because Snider testified before Congress in a panel that included Frank Zappa and John Denver doesn't mean Snider was even close to Zappa in terms of ability or talent...or even Denver, for that matter.
                      Noone said that. Where did you read such a thing? Not in this thread, that's for sure.

You're right, that is a bit too late-1960s wishy-washy.:0
                      Ah, we finally begin to agree. Now take a bath & cut that hair, young man. And drop the sandals. That's the worst of it all.

Would a sign-off like "the only thing gayer than Twisted Sister are the tasteless fuckwits who like their music" have been a better way to end the post?
                      Yes, much better!

Oh, wait...

Peace.
                      I hate you.

Comment

• Anonymous
                        Banned
                        • May 2004

Sorrrrrieeeeeeeeeeeeee all you worshipers of spandex. I didn't know such corporate metal was sacred to all of you.
                        Apology accepted.

Don't do it again.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                          Veteran
                          • Jun 2005

It's okay. I know you are having a tough time with Colorado keeping Dan Hawkins so i understand. I'm not sure i understand how asking you why you think Dee is a douche equates to being a fan of spandex and corporate metal though.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                            Veteran
                            • Jun 2005

I don't think that is an unrealistic statement. You yourself said that Dee had some neat ideas outside of Twisted Sister. What neat ideas came from Brett Michaels in or out of Poison? That is enough seperation for me.

Comment

• SparkieD
                              Veteran
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Imapus_Sylicker
                              What Shaun said.

Don't call Whitesnake crap just because you only know 'Is This Love?'

Yeah! Call 'em crap because of that fucking "Here I Go Again" rot.
                              Originally posted by Tiki-Tom You're one classy tattooed bombshell in my book.
                              Originally posted by rustoffa
                              Three words. WE WERE THERE.

Comment

• Kristy
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
                                I'll add..."Slide It In"
                                Oh, who could forget that Valentine Day favorite?

Comment

Working...