• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GAR
    Banned
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by kissfan1976
    No comments from Blackmore yet?
    If Blackmore offers no public condolences for one of the greatest, who most certainly helped boost his departure from Deep Purple to even higher celebrity and wealth, I'll be thinking alot less of him as a person.

The ONE guy you'd think to hear publicly on the issue of Dio's passing and he hasn't spoken yet? Fahhhhhhk...

Comment

• Diamondjimi
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • May 2004

Originally posted by GAR
      If Blackmore offers no public condolences for one of the greatest, who most certainly helped boost his departure from Deep Purple to even higher celebrity and wealth, I'll be thinking alot less of him as a person.

The ONE guy you'd think to hear publicly on the issue of Dio's passing and he hasn't spoken yet? Fahhhhhhk...
      http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Ritchie+Blackmore+speaks+about+Ronnie+James+Dio %27s+Passing

Try and keep up, Peabrain!
      Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• GAR
        Banned
        • Jan 2004

Two sentences are nothing - he owes Dio more than that.

He wouldn't even have had a career if Dio didn't salvage what was left after Purple.

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

I honestly didn't know Dio recorded this song. Dream On is one of those legendary songs you shouldn't mess with, but holy shit! Dude made an awesome version of it. Even though I don't like Yngwie, he did kinda lay off on the important parts of the song & let Dio stand out.

Apologies if this has already been posted in this thread.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BaycOK66FAc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BaycOK66FAc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Diamondjimi
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2004

You'd think he'd have a bit more to say than that.

I've always thought Ritchie is a piece of wood as a person. He never proves me wrong....

Comment

• Doctor Dude
              Groupie
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
              You'd think he'd have a bit more to say than that.

I've always thought Ritchie is a piece of wood as a person. He never proves me wrong....
              What bothers me the most is the lack of media attention given to his passing. TMZ was right on it, but CNN and Yahoo buried the story toward the bottom of the page, and the story disappeared within a few hours. None of the local media in Austin mentioned it on newscasts or on their websites.

Rolling Stone has a small blurb I found at Yahoo music, but I won't link that piece of shit here because it was somewhat uncomplimentary to Ronnie.

I think the man deserved better. Rest in peace, Sir.
              Last edited by Doctor Dude; 05-18-2010, 12:33 AM.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2005

Of course there has been no mention whatsoever in the local media (TV and Newspapers) here in Gnashville.

Could be expected, as they are all still trying to recover from the floods, and, the media here is staffed by fucking hillbillies that ignore anything outside their limited view of what music is.

Comment

• SparkieD
                  Veteran
                  • Sep 2006

If the news bits are just going to be rehashes of other news bits, then they should shut the fuck up. He accomplished enough in his lifetime that these journalists could take the effort to write more than they have been. I'm also sick of reading every other musician's tributes telling us how his music will "live on." Be original or shut up for fuck's sake.

Forgive me. I'm very fucking pissed off. Ronnie's gone and that cunt Bret Michaels is still making headlines.
                  Originally posted by Tiki-Tom You're one classy tattooed bombshell in my book.
                  Originally posted by rustoffa
                  Three words. WE WERE THERE.

Comment

• Blaze
                    Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Originally posted by GAR
                    <strike>
                    Friend of mine called me today about Dio passing, he didn't know he had stomach cancer.

He says "you used to see him around all the time, why didn't you care to ever go up and meet him?"

First of all, while I think he's one of the greatest voices rock ever had, not far below Mercury or of course DLR.. it always bothered me that he had to be a fucking SatanPIMP. It wasn't enough that his voice was really good, he had to always go blathering on about the Devil, talking about witches and gypsies, shit like that which spiritually rubs me the wrong way and always will.

It doesn't matter to me one way or another if you were to tell me "ah but Gar he was a Gnostic.. he grew up Catholic and just felt above it or elightened over religion" because he did it a little at first in Rainbow. But he kept getting worse after Sabbath and then of course Dio.

He'll be looked upon as the Godfather of every satan-metal band that ever came up.. all this deathmetal shit thats out now - you can thank Dio for helping bring that to the forefront by breaking new ground in the Land of What's More Obscene to Teen's Parents.

I could list the dozens of paralells here, such as Slayer, Sodom, Cannibal Corpse and other such crap which are plain to see for folks unaware or have the good conscience not to pay attention. But as the eighties passed and Dio got lamer and suckier in his additional releases it became more difficult for him to go beyond the Devil Rock plateau. I mean, you cant' really get any lower than singing about bizarre satanic themes, demons, the wickedness of people and base human sinfulness - where can you go from there, talk shit about the Devil's Mother?

I just want to state a few obvious points on Dio's passing:

1. He was a millionaire, and just finished writing his biography. I'm not donating shit to any cause in his memory - but I will buy the book.
                    2. I think he wasted the last quarter of his life, since he could have gone on to better and more positive music, or things like real estate, or started his own record label, unless he really wasn't very business-minded.
                    3. There's that one spot in "Heaven and Hell" live, where he always encourages people's apostasy - or invariably his veiled reference to the defiant rebellion of God - and the concert audience reacts with enthusiastic applause... which I always thought he's going to be held accountable for that someday.

Today's that day. And there's always that last-chance to take a deep breath and reconsider one's course, yet I don't think Dio was able to change his course=too self-willed, self-serving and worldly to acknowledge his eternal position. We'll see though if Wendy ever makes a case for clarity on Dio's faith, or lack of faith and if not, well that's why I'd like to read his bio.</strike>

May G-d have mercy upon his family. From G-d we came, To G-d we Return.
                    ~`~ Corrected response. ~`~
                    "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
                    sigpic

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                      Friend of mine called me today about Dio passing, he didn't know he had stomach cancer.

He says "you used to see him around all the time, why didn't you care to ever go up and meet him?"

First of all, while I think he's one of the greatest voices rock ever had, not far below Mercury or of course DLR.. it always bothered me that he had to be a fucking SatanPIMP. It wasn't enough that his voice was really good, he had to always go blathering on about the Devil, talking about witches and gypsies, shit like that which spiritually rubs me the wrong way and always will.

It doesn't matter to me one way or another if you were to tell me "ah but Gar he was a Gnostic.. he grew up Catholic and just felt above it or elightened over religion" because he did it a little at first in Rainbow. But he kept getting worse after Sabbath and then of course Dio.

He'll be looked upon as the Godfather of every satan-metal band that ever came up.. all this deathmetal shit thats out now - you can thank Dio for helping bring that to the forefront by breaking new ground in the Land of What's More Obscene to Teen's Parents.

I could list the dozens of paralells here, such as Slayer, Sodom, Cannibal Corpse and other such crap which are plain to see for folks unaware or have the good conscience not to pay attention. But as the eighties passed and Dio got lamer and suckier in his additional releases it became more difficult for him to go beyond the Devil Rock plateau. I mean, you cant' really get any lower than singing about bizarre satanic themes, demons, the wickedness of people and base human sinfulness - where can you go from there, talk shit about the Devil's Mother?

I just want to state a few obvious points on Dio's passing:

1. He was a millionaire, and just finished writing his biography. I'm not donating shit to any cause in his memory - but I will buy the book.
                      2. I think he wasted the last quarter of his life, since he could have gone on to better and more positive music, or things like real estate, or started his own record label, unless he really wasn't very business-minded.
                      3. There's that one spot in "Heaven and Hell" live, where he always encourages people's apostasy - or invariably his veiled reference to the defiant rebellion of God - and the concert audience reacts with enthusiastic applause... which I always thought he's going to be held accountable for that someday.

Today's that day. And there's always that last-chance to take a deep breath and reconsider one's course, yet I don't think Dio was able to change his course=too self-willed, self-serving and worldly to acknowledge his eternal position. We'll see though if Wendy ever makes a case for clarity on Dio's faith, or lack of faith and if not, well that's why I'd like to read his bio.
                      What the fuck have you accomplished in your miserable life?

Now STFU and crawl back under that rock from wentz you came...

Comment

• GAR
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2004

So let me get this straight: you have no further thoughts in the matter of Ronnie James Dio passing, except to criticize MY thoughts?

Okay, here's another thought I had today on this issue:

I bet you BETcha.. since he was a Catholic, okay.. and as most Catholics are rebellious heathens who believe they can get away with murder so long as they get into a confessional booth and talk it out, I bet you Ronnie realized at the very end his chapter on that was coming towards a close and either:

a) had some faggot priest come give him communion and give him his last rytes of confession, OR
                        b) Wendy had a guy come out and do it before they unplugged the ICU machinery.

That''s what I think. I thought alot about this today after viewing some of these interviews where Ronnie talks about doing alot of what he does for promotion and publicity, thought alot about how in his songwriting he's expressed quite a bit of comprehension on the subject of religion to the point that I personally believe he was actually obsessed with religion, and gave up the bad-boy fight towards the end.

But I guess the book when it comes out will tell us the real story, won't it?

Comment

• GO-SPURS-GO
                          Sniper
                          • Feb 2007

Blessed by the night, holy and bright, called by the toll of the bell. R.I.P Ronnie. The greatest metal singer of all time!! Stargazer and Children of the Sea are in my top 5 favorite songs of all time.
                          https://www.facebook.com/warren.hammonds.58
                          http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1001063

Comment

• GAR
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2004

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DsSkdrsPxHU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DsSkdrsPxHU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Comment

• jero
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q3FXxpSesZs&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q3FXxpSesZs&hl=nl_NL&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

From KISS:

We mourn the tragic passing of the great Ronnie James Dio. In addition to his powerhouse vocal ability, Ronnie was a true gentleman who always emanated great warmth and friendship to us and everyone around him. We will miss him.

Paul, Gene, Tommy and Eric
                                Roth Army Icon
                                First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

Working...