X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Originally posted by ELVIS
    Cheese rock with a creepy old man at the helm...
    Didn't realize you'd been given an advance listen to the new Van Halen record.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by binnie
      Do we really expect Heavy Metal/Hard Rock bands to write inspiring/original lyrics? (CVH were actually remarkable for that point.)

Which is exactly why James Hetfield is so fun to listen to. Not so much in the last decade. But the guy is a terrific lyric writer.
      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
        How many songs can you write about faded love, love that needs another chance, and love in general?

All of them -

Sincerely,

Steve Perry
        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• hambon4lif
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
          Maybe a few more listens will open some doors that i can't realize yet.
          The guitarist is the one that made the song work IMO. (who is that dude anyway?)

You can tell he's got tricks and flash, but he holds back and delivers a strong melodic solo that fits into the songs structure.
          We'll hear more from him regardless if he stays with Coverdale or not.

Comment

• ELVIS
            Banned
            • Dec 2003

Doug Aldrich

He's been around...

Comment

• Mr Walker
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
              Doug Aldrich

He's been around...

I can't see the video you posted, but Aldrich has been playing in bands since the 80's.

Comment

• binnie
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2006

I'm a non guitar player, but would I be correct in assuming that DOug Aldrich is a superior player to Reb Beach?

Comment

• Mr Walker
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jan 2004

I'm a non guitar player, but would I be correct in assuming that DOug Aldrich is a superior player to Reb Beach?
                  I don't know... I'm not a guitar player either and Aldrich seems to get all the attention in Whitesnake, but according to some players that I know... Beach is no slouch despite the Winger stigma that may follow him.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by mr walker
                    i don't know... I'm not a guitar player either and aldrich seems to get all the attention in whitesnake, but according to some players that i know... Beach is no slouch despite the winger stigma that may follow him.
                    hey!!!

Comment

• chefcraig
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Apr 2004

If you are interested, you can listen to damned near the entire album HERE at Youtube.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Jagermeister
                        Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

I have not de railed a perfectly good thread in a while so I may be a little rusty. But here goes.

Comment

• Jagermeister
                          Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

P.S. I think I'll pick it up this weekend and give it a listen.

P.S.S. You know it's bad when I can type faster than the board can list what I am typing.

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                            Veteran
                            • Jun 2005

Do we really expect Heavy Metal/Hard Rock bands to write inspiring/original lyrics? (CVH were actually remarkable for that point.)

I know what you mean, but what the hell else is Cov going to write about? I'm really not all that interested in his thoughts on Proust.
                            Hell, AC/DC have made a career out of a handful of lyrical themes.
                            I know exactly what you mean and the point is taken. I don't know what i expected the lyrical themes to be other than what was delivered. Coverdale never has been a god and country kind of lyricist. I don't remember the last record being this one sided relative to theme. I guess the good news for Whitesnake is that i am one of those fans that will keep buying their stuff always expecting that the next record will be the best one yet. Also, Reb Beach did a good job while in Dokken and i really like his playing on this record.
                            RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                            LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• binnie
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • May 2006

Here's my review:

Whitesnake - Forevermore

A solid effort from DC and co. which is bound to make you smile. Building on the good work laid down by this line-up on 'Good To Be Bad', this time round they have gelled together more closely and the whole record feels more like the product of a band. Do I need to tell you what this sounds like? Big choruses, flashy solos and songs about broken and battered love all served up with a dollop of cheese and a whole lot of fun. As sophisticated as a chainsaw, and about as subtle.

Opener 'Steal Your Heart Away' has the bluesy, funky vibe of early Whitesnake but its played through the sheen of the '1987' era. 'Love Will Set You Free' has a rattlesnake of a riff and 'Tell Me How' is an anthem in the making if they add it to the setlist. DC's voice is not what it once was, but it still suits the music - a little raspier than 20 years ago, and a little lower, he nonetheless brings a (not so) quiet cool to proceedings and is the perfect foil for the sizzling solos of Doug Aldrich, who is a bluesman on hyperdrive. All of this is fine and dandy, but hardly essential. These songs - as good as they are - hardly add anything to the band's legacy. But some of those on the record's second half certainly do: 'Dogs In the Street' (Aldrich's centrpiece) is a marvellous rocker, and 'Whipping Boy Blues' is a bombastic take on blues rock. Perhaps most impressive, however, is the title track - a delicate ballad which culminates in a Zeppelin-esque stomp, could it be argued that this is the most beautiful song DC has ever recorded?

There is certainly filler on this album (what Whitesnake record doesn't have some?) 'Easier Said Than Done' is a formulaic ballad, and 'One of These Days' delves dangerously close to Chris Rea territory (ARRRGH!) But they don't taint the impact of the whole. Thanks largely to the rhythm section of Brian Tinchy and Michael Devin, 'Forevermore' grooves like a motherfucker. It is no 'Lovehunter' or 'Ready & Willing' but it is a damn fine rock 'n' roll record which will brighten up your summer no end.

Comment

• ELVIS
                                Banned
                                • Dec 2003

I doubt that...

Comment

Working...