X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Etienne
    Commando
    • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Nitro Express
    Ok. I can play a couple Led Zeppelin songs. To get it to sound like Page you have to purposely play sloppy or it will sound too in time and polished. You actually have to fuck it up a bit to get the Page vibe.
    The same on drums if you want to groove like Bonham. Like I said it before you can't delink Bonham, Page and Jones.
    Last edited by Etienne; 11-04-2011, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• Nitro Express
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Terry
      Reading accounts of what Grant, Cole, Bindon and Bonham would do on the road, it's strange to me how these characters are lauded by some. The behavior at times was just really atrocious. Seems to illustrate the idea that many within the entertainment industry aren't fully developed as human beings, and the success they achieve and the money they earn acts as an enabler toward all types of childish whims and indulgences. Some might say how great it would have been to party with Zeppelin. For me, watching a bunch of goons sexually abuse women with mudsharks, get wasted on smack and administer Clockwork Orange-style beatings ain't my idea of a good time. I don't think I'm particularly conservative in my tastes: I like a good fuck and a bit of booze as much as anyone else, but sadistic barbarism just isn't that appealing to me.
      I went to Jorma Kukkonen's fur peace ranch for some guitar and bass seminars and both him and Jack Casady knew Bill Graham very well. They said Bill Graham could be tough but they said his experiences in Germany during the Nazi times made him compassionate of people who really didn't fit into society. They said in many ways he was an older straight guy but he always had compassion for the younger kids and people left of center because of the lack of passion he saw in Nazi Germany.

For Graham to compare Led Zeppelin to the Nazi thugs in Germany is one hell of a statement. Graham said the thuggery he saw with them brought back the memories he had erased from his childhood in Germany. That's saying something. Can you imagine being bottled up on Led Zeppelin's plane when someone decided to go off? I don't think any decent person would want to be around that too long or be managed by such scum.
      No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Face it. Classic rock is nothing more than recooked blues. Everyone knows it. Zeppelin would have lost nothing just by being honest and saying they redid the songs but you don't get any publishing money for it. They were about the money. A scam.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Kristy
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Nevermind
          Last edited by Kristy; 11-04-2011, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
            Seems not much was ever written on the subject except for a few rumor mill accounts that Bonham before joining Zeppelin and Grant knew each growing up and that both were basically Birmingham street thugs. Grant had a reputation of being somewhat of a bully loanshark and his ruthless tactics was the main reason Page hired him to be their manager making sure the band was well paid. Grant was also known to be just as brutal when dealing with Bad Company groupies as well.
            Check this out, as quite frankly, I find it to be mind-boggling astonishing: Page was the last "new" guy to join the Yardbirds, OK? Jeff Beck quits/gets fired (depending upon whose story you believe), then Page recruits Grant out of seemingly nowhere to manage the band. When the whole thing went into the shitter a few months later, not only does Page end up with a substantial amount of the group's publishing (for songs he never played on, let alone wrote) but also just happened to walk away owning the band's NAME. Now how in hell did that happen? Simple: Grant was unquestionably a thug. The fact that he knowingly parodied this on film in the tasteless ode to excess The Song Remains The Same is even more disgusting, and highly indicative of the "We can get away with anything" mindset of the band, which ultimately destroyed them.

Karma is a bitch, ya know?

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Kristy
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Actually, I was just reading about Grant: the guy was a failed actor (though he was in a few movies) and a wrestler. His thuggery reputation came from his days of being a bouncer. As for Bindon who Grant used a scapegoat for the Oakland incident he later ended up going to jail on murder charges. What a lovely bunch of guys. Zeppelin, it seemed in their 70's heyday was nothing more than a traveling criminal circus roadshow.

Comment

• lesfunk
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Travelling Mayhem..... Now That's Entertainment!
                http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by Etienne
                  Kristy, what is your favourite rock band? Really, I want to know.
                  THIS is her god....

Last edited by Diamondjimi; 11-04-2011, 07:28 PM.
                  Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Kristy
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

=
                    Last edited by Kristy; 11-04-2011, 09:02 PM.

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

Whether you think Zep were good or bad, denying their influence on music subsequently is obtuse.

If you're going to spend you're time hating stuff , why not pick a band which really, really sucks. Like Bon Jovi.
                      The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Little Texan
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                        Whether you think Zep were good or bad, denying their influence on music subsequently is obtuse.

If you're going to spend you're time hating stuff , why not pick a band which really, really sucks. Like Bon Jovi.
                        Or Chickenshit.

Comment

• VHscraps
                          Veteran
                          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Diamondjimi
                          THIS is her god....

WTF ... Paul Stanley is looking mighty fine these days. He's smudged his lipstick a bit, but the old melted face thing seems to be settling into something close to human-looking ...
                          THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• ashstralia
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Feb 2004

you've got to be crazy; got to have a real need...

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by binnie
                              Unlike Jimmy and his entourage of criminal miscreants Bon Jovi were the 80's hair band prototype. In others words, they may have sucked but at least they did something original.

Comment

• clarathecarrot
                                Full Member Status

• May 2010

I want to kill the juke box at any time in any bar if someone plays Floyd..I usually yell, no floyd!

It is a sitting around music not a drinkie time play.
                                2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
                                clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

Working...