X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chefcraig
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by fourthcoming
    Good stuff.....is that the same show from the original release? I always thought the original recording was from the old Felt Forum in N.Y.C. and was all Sabbath tunes...I could be wrong......either way, I was never really big Night Ranger guy but brad Gillis definitely does justice to the sabbath tunes....cant wait to hear the rest.
    I'm pretty sure this was recorded at Irvine Meadows and not the Ritz, yet was shown on MTV back when they played videos instead of shows about pregnant 15 year olds and obnoxious retards living in New Jersey. If you just so happened to live in Japan, you could purchase it on VHS some thirty years ago, otherwise, you were shit out of luck until now. Of course, this isn't the mind-fuckingly good set of Sabbath cover tunes from the album, but an Ozzy solo set. Even so, Brad Gillis rips the living shit out of things, having a blast doing what just about every guitarist at this site has always yearned for: an opportunity to wail through a hastily rehearsed group of Ozzy tunes, with the fucking Prince of Darkness himself taking the microphone.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 05-09-2012, 09:23 AM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• fourthcoming

Gotcha.....guess there must have been an all Sabbath set and a solo Ozzy set.....can't wait to enjoy this dvd thoroughly. MTV.....Moron Television

Comment

• Panamark
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

No Randy in sight ?

Got a mild twitch in the scrotal base when I started to read thread.
        But it stopped when I realised no RR.....

Will check it out for curiosity.

Always wondered if there was some Blizzard cuts that didnt make those two albums
        and also some pro shot video, stored away for when Sharon has run the well dry.
        BABY PANA 2 IS Coming !! All across the land, let the love and beer flow !
        Love ya Mary Frances!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
          ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by chefcraig
          If you just so happened to live in Japan, you could purchase it on VHS some thirty years ago, otherwise, you were shit out of luck until now. Of course, this isn't the mind-fuckingly good set of Sabbath cover tunes from the album, but an Ozzy solo set. Even so, Brad Gillis rips the living shit out of things, having a blast doing what just about every guitarist at this site has always yearned for: an opportunity to wail through a hastily rehearsed group of Ozzy tunes, with the fucking Prince of Darkness himself taking the microphone.
          Um, I was living Japan 30 years ago, almost 30 anyway...

But yeah, why couldn't they have included the Sabbath covers? Those are what's on my CD....

Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

I'm pretty sure this was recorded at Irvine Meadows and not the Ritz, yet was shown on MTV back when they played videos instead of shows about pregnant 15 year olds and obnoxious retards living in New Jersey. If you just so happened to live in Japan, you could purchase it on VHS some thirty years ago, otherwise, you were shit out of luck until now. Of course, this isn't the mind-fuckingly good set of Sabbath cover tunes from the album, but an Ozzy solo set. Even so, Brad Gillis rips the living shit out of things, having a blast doing what just about every guitarist at this site has always yearned for: an opportunity to wail through a hastily rehearsed group of Ozzy tunes, with the fucking Prince of Darkness himself taking the microphone.
            I think the Sabbath stuff was recorded at the Ritz, and the version with the solo stuff at Irvine Meadows....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speak_o...Osbourne_album)

Overview

The album sleeve states that it was recorded at The Ritz in New York on the 26th and 27 September 1982. In a June 2007 interview with producer/engineer Max Norman posted at KNAC.COM, he states that the album features 3 songs that were recorded during the rehearsal for the show rather than the show itself. The songs were then completed with additional tracks of crowd noise. Norman did not identify specifically the songs.[2]
            This is the only official Osbourne recording to feature Night Ranger guitarist Brad Gillis, who had stepped in for the recently deceased Randy Rhoads, following Bernie Torme's brief stint. However, Gillis did tour with Osbourne during this time period, and did play solo material from the first two solo albums on the tour. These recordings can be heard/seen on the Speak of the Devil VHS/Laserdisc and more recently the Japan only DVD release.
            Osbourne has publicly disowned and slated the album, saying it was only recorded due to pressures from the record label. In April 2002, this album was deleted from Osbourne's US/North American catalogue and is no longer being made. However, the album is still being made in Japan and in other markets.
            The song "Sweet Leaf" was omitted on the initial pressing Compact Disc releases of the album, due to 'timing restrictions'. It was restored, however, when the album was remastered in 1995.
            This is the first album to feature Rudy Sarzo, who left to rejoin Quiet Riot less than a month later, the other album being Tribute. Brad Gillis also left to join Night Ranger. Bob Daisley, who had been the bassist for both of the previous studio albums, would continue in that role, while Jake E. Lee would replace Gillis for the next album, Bark at the Moon.
            Speak of the Devil was released one month before Osbourne's old band Black Sabbath released Live Evil. In the US, sales of Speak of the Devil were much better than those of Live Evil. In the UK it was Live Evil which attained the higher chart-placing: figures on ultimate sales are not widely available. Both albums are a result of the unofficial Live at Last album released in 1980, a year after Osbourne left Black Sabbath.
            [edit]Video

A Japan-only official release DVD also titled Speak of the Devil has been available for some time, though it contains different content than the album; it features a live performance recorded on June 12, 1982, at Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre with the same backing band performing a combination of Osbourne solo material and Black Sabbath covers. That DVD is scheduled to be released in the US on July 17, 2012 from Eagle Rock Entertainment.[3]
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• BruinJer
              Head Fluffer
              • Jan 2004

It's about fucking time. Holy shit, look at the track list.

Ozzy Osbourne Diary Of A Madman Tour DVD Coming

antimusic

Eagle Rock has set a July 17th release date for a new DVD release of Ozzy Osbourne's Speak of the Devil.

This show was filmed at Irvine Meadows Amphitheater in California on June 12, 1982 as part of the delayed continuation of the "Diary Of A Madman" tour following the tragic death of Randy Rhoads a few months earlier.

The audio has been digitally restored and remastered and is now available in DTS and Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound for the first time. Speak Of The Devil includes the classics "Mr Crowley" "Over The Mountain" "Crazy Train" "Flying High Again" "Iron Man" "Paranoid" "Goodbye To Romance" and many more.

The concert is a perfect snapshot of Ozzy Osbourne's live performances in the eighties with dramatic staging and masses of energy with a setlist based around his first two solo albums and a few Black Sabbath classics. The line-up for this show features Ozzy Osbourne (vocals); Don Airey (keyboards); Tommy Aldridge (drums); Brad Gillis (guitar) and Rudy Sarzo (bass).

Track Listing:

1) Over The Mountain
              2) Mr Crowley
              3) Crazy Train
              4) Revelation (Mother Earth)
              5) Steal Away (The Night)
              6) Suicide Solution
              7) Guitar / Drum Solo
              8) Goodbye To Romance
              9) I Don't Know
              10) Believer
              11) Flying High Again
              12) Iron Man
              13) Children Of The Grave
              14) Paranoid
              My first concert... It's good to see this classic get it's official release!
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...r/Chickies.jpg

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

It's about fucking time. Holy shit, look at the track list.

Ozzy Osbourne Diary Of A Madman Tour DVD Coming

antimusic

Eagle Rock has set a July 17th release date for a new DVD release of Ozzy Osbourne's Speak of the Devil.

This show was filmed at Irvine Meadows Amphitheater in California on June 12, 1982 as part of the delayed continuation of the "Diary Of A Madman" tour following the tragic death of Randy Rhoads a few months earlier.

The audio has been digitally restored and remastered and is now available in DTS and Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound for the first time. Speak Of The Devil includes the classics "Mr Crowley" "Over The Mountain" "Crazy Train" "Flying High Again" "Iron Man" "Paranoid" "Goodbye To Romance" and many more.

The concert is a perfect snapshot of Ozzy Osbourne's live performances in the eighties with dramatic staging and masses of energy with a setlist based around his first two solo albums and a few Black Sabbath classics. The line-up for this show features Ozzy Osbourne (vocals); Don Airey (keyboards); Tommy Aldridge (drums); Brad Gillis (guitar) and Rudy Sarzo (bass).

Track Listing:

1) Over The Mountain
                2) Mr Crowley
                3) Crazy Train
                4) Revelation (Mother Earth)
                5) Steal Away (The Night)
                6) Suicide Solution
                7) Guitar / Drum Solo
                8) Goodbye To Romance
                9) I Don't Know
                10) Believer
                11) Flying High Again
                12) Iron Man
                13) Children Of The Grave
                14) Paranoid

Doesn't this deserve it's own thread ??

Comment

• ELVIS
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2003

I sure hope the guitar is placed properly in the mix...

Comment

• jhale667
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

I remember that MTV concert... it was sad Randy wasn't there, but Gillis' tone was AMAZING (two Mesa Boogie Mk IIs in stereo)...he did a great job all things considered.

Originally posted by conmee
                    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                    Originally posted by eddie78
                    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

The shows at the Ritz were planned specifically to record the "Speak of The Devil" album, and it was the only shows where they played a set of all Sabbath tunes. Ozzy originally planned on releasing a double live album, the first disc being Randy playing material from Blizzard and Diary, and the second disc being the Sabbath songs with Brad Gillis. But when the record label insisted on the title "Speak of the Devil" (or "Talk of the Devil" in the UK) Ozzy couldn't let them use Randy's stuff, since he thought it would be in extremely poor taste to have an album title like that attached to the work of someone just recently killed. Not that Ozzy cared all that much about bad taste in those days of biting off animal heads, pissing on the Alamo, and snorting ants, but even he had to draw the line somewhere.

I've had a bootleg of this DVD for a while, so I'll probably upgrade to the official version. The vocals were already overdubbed, so I can't imagine Sharon could do much additional damage to it.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• VHscraps
                        Veteran
                        • Jul 2009

I saw Ozzy with Brad Gillis standing on that tour that followed the live album - in Glasgow, Scotland. I snuck a camera in to take pics.

I remember thinking at the time that Gillis really ripped it up, gave an amazing performance. I had seen Ozzy's first gig with RR in the same venue a couple of years before and - y'all will accuse me of sacrilege, I'm sure - left the gig more impressed with John Thomas, guitarist of perennial opening act of those days, Budgie, than with Randy ...

Last edited by VHscraps; 05-09-2012, 03:43 PM. Reason: added some Budgie
                        THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• jhale667
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by VHscraps
                          - y'all will accuse me of sacrilege, I'm sure - left the gig more impressed with John Thomas, guitarist of perennial opening act of those days, Budgie, than with Randy ...

You're right - You BLASPHEME!!!!!!

Originally posted by conmee
                          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                          Originally posted by eddie78
                          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• fourthcoming

It was so obvious that the vocals were overdubbed......still a tremendous show

Comment

• VHscraps
                              Veteran
                              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by jhale667
                              You're right - You BLASPHEME!!!!!!

Heh heh.

Randy's writing and playing on Diary of a Madman was awesome - much better than the Blizzard album. I've never heard a bootleg of that first gig in Glasgow - so I couldn't say with any accuracy if the gig was actually any good (!!). I did dig it at the time, and we were all talking about Randy afterwards, because by that time not many had even heard Ozzy's first album. 'Whatisname - that guy', one of my mates said: 'Randy Avenues, or something?'

Thing was, though, Budgie were a shit hot live act back then, and though it was the first gig on the Blizzard tour, it probably wasn't their first gig that September (as it was with Blizzard of Oz, as they were billed - I think they had done a few secret shows before then).
                              THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• FORD
                                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

For those who can't wait for the DVD, here's the low rent YouTube version of the bootleg......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...