X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Vengeance
    Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Full Ozzy concert with Brad Gillis

Not sure how "live" Ozzy's vocals are here, but this is a pretty good show. I've never seen this before.
    Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• VHscraps
      Veteran
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Mr. Vengeance
      Not sure how "live" Ozzy's vocals are here, but this is a pretty good show. I've never seen this before.
      looks and sounds like the vocals have been 'fixed'.
      THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• FORD
        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Yeah, i posted this over in some other Ozzy thread the other day. It was obviously overdubbed and aired on eMpTyV at the time, and has been bootlegged ever since, but apparently is now going to finally get a legitimate release.

Odd that they would use the title "Speak of the Devil" for this DVD though, since (unlike the album of the same name) this concert is not made up entirely of Sabbath tunes and is instead the actual live set that Ozzy played on that tour. I really wasn't impressed with how Gillis played the Sabbath tunes, (and was never a big Night Ranger fan either) but when I saw this concert the first time, I have to admit he learned Randy's material very well.
        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

This looks like the 1982 Irvine Meadows show that was aired on MTV. I dunno if this ever got an official release far as the video went (not sure which shows the audio for the Speak Of The Devil album were taken from).

Bought a bootlegged copy of this maybe a decade ago, which was basically a vhs tape copy transferred to dvd. I will say that while I was never a huge fan of Gillis either, he did do a pretty good job far as getting the essence of RR's licks down...I couldn't say how many shows in Irvine Meadows was after Gillis joined the band...but yeah, when watching the thing it's clear there were a LOT of post-concert vocals that were re-recorded. Like, not just a few fixes here and there, either.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• binnie
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2006

I think I read somewhere that 'Speak' is going to get a DVD release soon....
            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

This will be re-released in 5 years with Trujillo doing the bass lines.....
              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jul 2004

Man I miss 80's concerts. the awesome themed stages, fire, explosions, lasers, headbanging, slutty rocker chicks who hadn't been quite rode hard & put away wet yet. I need a time machine
                “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• DONNIEP
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
                  Man I miss 80's concerts. the awesome themed stages, fire, explosions, lasers, headbanging, slutty rocker chicks who hadn't been quite rode hard & put away wet yet. I need a time machine
                  No shit brother!!! The last time I checked this was what concerts were all about!!!
                  American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Dec 2003

Merged the two Ozzy DVD threads....
                    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

I can vividly remember watching the Iron Man/Children of the Grave/Paranoid videos in the early stages of MTV, fantastic....
                      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• fourthcoming

Wow.......I have never been a Night Ranger fan.....but Gillis is a MONSTER!!!!!

Comment

• VHscraps
                          Veteran
                          • Jul 2009

Gillis did a really good job on the Sabs tunes.

Anyone who was a reader of Guitar Player magazine back in the early 80s might remember one issue that came with a free flexi-disc of Brad Gillis imitating his favourite sports cars on the guitar. I seem to recall that his favourite was the Ferrari Testarossa.

Somebody out there will have it, or it will be online somewhere.
                          THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• binnie
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2006

Were the old live vids with Jake E Lee ever released on DVD?
                            The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• sadaist
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by sadaist

I forgot to mention....all the above was for around $17.50.

Shit guys, I remember in high school on a Friday Motley Crue was playing that night with Whitesnake opening up. Starting 1st period I started bumming money from people at school. Mostly girls. A few well off guys that always had dough.

"Hey, can I borrow a quarter for a Coke....or M&M's? I'm a little short today"

Most times the girls would hand me a buck. By the end of the day I had enough for a ticket AND A SHIRT!!!!!!

My buddy at the time did the same thing but in different classes. He also made enough for the ticket.

Comment

• sadaist
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jul 2004

First time I saw OZZY was with Metallica opening up. Metallica was fucking awesome. But OZZY is....well, OZZY. Kinda hard to top the Prince Of Darkness himself back in his prime, even if you do have Cliff Burton.

OZZY started the show just like the Shot In The Dark video. he came down inside some creatures folded arms. But unlike the video they didnt open to show him suddenly. They began opened & OZZY cheering the fans as it lowered him to the stage.

FUCKING EPIC ENTRANCE!!

Whatever happened to those too? I see VH all just walk out & start Unchained. Yeah, it's epic because of who they are & what song it is....but? Rob Halford on the Harley? Angus Young in the lighted tube? Ozzy in the evil creature? Def Leppard playing 1/4 of the song before they actually drop the curtain? fuck me! Some awesome shit back then and even then OZZY was considered the big daddy of heavy metal. He has only solidified his legendary status since then. I will watch & enjoy this new/old concert video & pretend I was there.

Comment

Working...