• Oct 2011

Haven't 'red' a word of it.

Bud-dum-dum...
      My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I'll admit, I read the chunk that was printed in Rolling Stone and became pissed off enough to want to see more. Like driving past a car wreck on the highway. Sometimes, ya just can't look away. The important thing was that I gave Mr. Round none of my money. Just a little bit of my time.

You can learn a lot about some one you loathe when you give them some of your attention. It's a form of keeping friends close, but enemies closer in a respect.

If the Van Halens ever gave him another shot after all he said, I'd be shocked and disgusted. All over again. The man just stinks in every way.

Comment

• philouze
          Banned
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Zing!
          Haven't 'red' a word of it.

Bud-dum-dum...
          Ka-Pssshhhhh
          Great one.

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ThrillsNSpills
            I'm surprised so many read Sam's book.

I just figured it would be all revisionist history
            Meh. It was dirt-cheap...less than 50% of the original cover price in a local Barnes and Noble...so I picked it up. Had already read the parts of the book regarding the 2004 tour printed in Rolling Stone when it was first released and found those interesting enough in a voyeuristic, "look how fucked up Eddie was" way, so I figured there'd be some other semi-decent stuff in there as well.

Really, it just expanded upon the usual stuff Hagar has been blathering about for years: "I had a massively successful solo career before joining Van Halen (I'd say he was, at best, moderately successful)", "David Lee Roth isn't nearly as talented as I am", "Van Halen sold more records when I was in the band than they did with Roth"...the usual, perpetual Hagar-propagated delusions.

The guy didn't come off QUITE as charmless as, say, Gene Simmons did in HIS book, but ran him a close second...particularly when writing about his ex-wife (his rationale was something along the lines that Hagar cheated on her only because she didn't satisfy him, so it was really his wife's fault that he slept with other women). This aspect also carried over toward his explanations for why every other rock band he was in didn't work out: "It was the other guys who were fucked up, not me."

Reading it was a quick, simple experience that left virtually nothing in the way of resonance whatsoever...much like listening to his music.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DONNIEP
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Mar 2004

It's 3 bucks in the iBook store. 272 pages?? I woulda thought he'd have way more than that to say about himself. I guess there's only so many ways to say "look at me"...
              American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Use the 3 bucks towards your kids stocking stuffers. Not this book!

Comment

• Zing!
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by philouze
                  Ka-Pssshhhhh
                  Great one.
                  Thankyaverymuch ladles and germs I'm here all week. Don't forget to tip the piano player on your way out!

My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• chefcraig
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                    Meh. It was dirt-cheap...the usual, perpetual Hagar-propagated delusions.

The guy didn't come off QUITE as charmless as, say, Gene Simmons did in HIS book, but ran him a close second...particularly when writing about his ex-wife (his rationale was something along the lines that Hagar cheated on her only because she didn't satisfy him, so it was really his wife's fault that he slept with other women). This aspect also carried over toward his explanations for why every other rock band he was in didn't work out: "It was the other guys who were fucked up, not me."

Reading it was a quick, simple experience that left virtually nothing in the way of resonance whatsoever...much like listening to his music.
                    Even better, we got a copy the same day that the blithering idiot Steven Tyler's autobio of sheer gibberish arrived, so I had more than enough free reading material for bathroom breaks while at work. And trust me, you truly needed to be firmly seated over the shitter to read either one.

Put it this way: I've had to replace both Slash's and Keef Richard's books at least twice each due to outright theft, all the while never, ever getting a request or inquiry about the Red-Cock-Up's life story. Believe it or not, there is balance in the universe, and I firmly think that this proves it.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                    ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• vandeleur
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Sep 2009

if your gonna steal a book Keef's is the one
                      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• Terry
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                        Even better, we got a copy the same day that the blithering idiot Steven Tyler's autobio of sheer gibberish arrived, so I had more than enough free reading material for bathroom breaks while at work. And trust me, you truly needed to be firmly seated over the shitter to read either one.

Put it this way: I've had to replace both Slash's and Keef Richard's books at least twice each due to outright theft, all the while never, ever getting a request or inquiry about the Red-Cock-Up's life story. Believe it or not, there is balance in the universe, and I firmly think that this proves it.
                        Yeah...I saw Tyler had something that came out...honestly, I thought the Steven Davis Walk This Way Aerosmith bio covered just about everything I wanted to know about Tyler...and Tyler and Aerosmith from roughly 1990 onward haven't done much that would even make me wanna read anything to find out more about the last twenty years.

Slash kinda falls into that same category in the sense that I liked what he did with GnR but haven't really given too much of shit about what he's done since then (and I know the guy is successful, but to me he's less of a rock icon than a drunken, doped up buffoon with a cliched rock star image who got lucky - I mean, in terms of guitar players being overrated, Slash would easily make my top 10 list...not to belittle what he did in terms of GnR, but to me GnR was a great band, not just the 'Axl and Slash' show).

Keith Richards DID put out a really fucking good book. Not a shock though. He's always given great interviews. The thing that amazed me was that Richards managed to make the whole saga of the Rolling Stones compelling to someone like me who has read loads and loads about them already.
                        Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

Working...