X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
    Christ, that album rubs me the wrong way. And just what in the hell is the use of tremolo sounds overlaying the guitars on virtually every track?
    Again, that goes back to the hiring of Steve Albini who only seems to like instrumentation when it's one of two things: loud and obnoxious. Also, for two guys who have been deemed to be geniuses by their fans base Clarksdale lacks having a soul. The whole thing was a muddled mess from beginning to end.

Comment

• VHscraps
      Veteran
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by VetteLS5
      Wasn't she part of the recent Band of Joy work that Plant put together?
      The original Band of Joy sounded a mite different ...

THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
        Veteran
        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
        True enough. I'd say there are probably 20 great songs since 1981. Unfortunately, a whole lotta flab to go along with it. I love the song Little By Little off of Shaken 'n Stirred.
        That's a killer tune. I always loved Big Log from Principle of Moments. As a matter of fact, i thought that album was pretty solid cover to cover but it appears i am in the minority. Hell, i liked a lot of stuff off of Now and Zen..Lighten Up, Ship of Fools. Where i thought Plant went off the rails, which you can't call it solo, was that Rockin' at Midnight stuff. What was that band called?
        RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
        LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
          Veteran
          • Jun 2005

Kristy, i saw something that reminded me of you today. I saw the Heartbreaker tour is going on featuring Heart and Jason Bonham's Led Zep Experience. I had to chuckle thinking of the torture you would be enduring if you had to go.
          RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
          LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

I like what Plant has done overall with his solo career; not everything about it was compelling, but truth be told not every single track of Zeppelin's was compelling, either.

Around 1988 or so, I wished Plant would have reformed with Page, Jones and Jason Bonham and did a 'Zep Reunion' tour, but as the years passed I'm actually glad Plant has pretty much resisted that - too many old big name bands get together as it is, and very few of them live up to their own past.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• chuckjitsu
              Head Fluffer
              • Apr 2012

Most puzzling to me about Plant is his ambivalence toward his history in Zeppelin. They haven't been a band for 30+ years but he just can't/won't do anything other than one-off shows as Led Zeppelin and to me his reticence goes beyond the standard "not wanting to live in the past" , "tarnish the legacy", "respect for Bonham" type stuff. Over the years, it's always been Percy who has shit canned any full scale reunions/tours/albums. Seems like he's been close to committing a few times over the years but always backs out before fully committing. Nobody is more protective of the Zeppelin legacy than Page. He wouldn't put subpar (by his standards) Zeppelin stuff out there, so if he's was willing to roll and thought they could do it well, i'm not quite sure what Percy's hang-up was/is. His vocals have been, how shall i phrase it...not good...for a while now, so please don't tour or do anything as Zeppelin! (And please stop doing Zeppelin covers in other genres. I don't want or need to hear a countrified version of Black Dog or a polka version of Whole Lotta Love)

Production values aside (which i agree weren't very good), i liked Clarksdale but thought it was a downer of an album. I thought Coverdale/Page had some decent tunes, as did Outrider.

Comment

• Zing!
                Veteran
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by sonrisa salvaje
                That's a killer tune. I always loved Big Log from Principle of Moments. As a matter of fact, i thought that album was pretty solid cover to cover but it appears i am in the minority. Hell, i liked a lot of stuff off of Now and Zen..Lighten Up, Ship of Fools. Where i thought Plant went off the rails, which you can't call it solo, was that Rockin' at Midnight stuff. What was that band called?
                The Honeydrippers. A good Plant solo tune that I like is Tie-dye on the Highway.
                My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• Matt White
                  • Jun 2004

His 1st solo cd PICTUES AT ELEVEN is very good.....from there its gets kinda spotty.....he needs somebody to write the music....

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Zing!
                    A good Plant solo tune that I like is Tie-dye on the Highway.
                    Yeah! That would make my top 20. Had a nice, infectious riff.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

You gotta admire his following Zeppelin without sounding like Zeppelin at all. So much of the guitar work on those early albums had that plucky, clean channel bridge pick up. He had the great Tony Levin on bass, but bass seemed absent almost everywhere in the mix throughout the '80s. There was also Phil Collins on the kit with his signature fills. A decent enough drummer with absolutely no intention of trying to cop Bonzo. You could say Plant gave a valiant effort to reinventing his career, and for the most part, it worked. Then he vanished for 6 or 7 years.

Comment

• Kristy
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

'Sea Of Love' - pure pop cheese. Has a bit of that gay element in it so Von loves this:

Comment

• Terry
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by chuckjitsu
                          Most puzzling to me about Plant is his ambivalence toward his history in Zeppelin. They haven't been a band for 30+ years but he just can't/won't do anything other than one-off shows as Led Zeppelin and to me his reticence goes beyond the standard "not wanting to live in the past" , "tarnish the legacy", "respect for Bonham" type stuff. Over the years, it's always been Percy who has shit canned any full scale reunions/tours/albums. Seems like he's been close to committing a few times over the years but always backs out before fully committing. Nobody is more protective of the Zeppelin legacy than Page. He wouldn't put subpar (by his standards) Zeppelin stuff out there, so if he's was willing to roll and thought they could do it well, i'm not quite sure what Percy's hang-up was/is. His vocals have been, how shall i phrase it...not good...for a while now, so please don't tour or do anything as Zeppelin! (And please stop doing Zeppelin covers in other genres. I don't want or need to hear a countrified version of Black Dog or a polka version of Whole Lotta Love)

Production values aside (which i agree weren't very good), i liked Clarksdale but thought it was a downer of an album. I thought Coverdale/Page had some decent tunes, as did Outrider.
                          I think Page, while obviously proud of what Zeppelin was, would jump at a reunion in a heartbeat...regardless of the condition of Plant's vocals.

Plant has said that part of his issue with reforming Zeppelin was control: the longer his solo career went on, the more control he had over it. To reform Zeppelin would mean giving up a degree of that control back to Page. Some of it clearly has to do with the friendship he had with John Bonham that went back to before Zeppelin was even formed, and the sense of loss he had over Bonham's death, something which [Plant] in some ways never got over. Also, Plant has said that one of the aspects he enjoyed about Zeppelin was that stylistically they were never content to just do the same thing over and over again. One of the things Plant mentioned that irks him about a lot of classic rock acts out on the road now is that they seem to him to be like a bunch of cabaret groups, churning out the oldies regardless of ability re: age.

Walking Into Clarksdale wasn't the Second Coming of Zeppelin, but in some ways it was a bit more honest than the Coverdale/Page album, which (although it had some tracks I enjoyed) reeked of some hare-brained scheme on the part of Geffen Records and John Kalodner to approximate Zeppelin, authenticated by Page's presence.

The remaining members of Zep had a couple of shit one-offs since 1980, but also Page and Plant did a fair amount of touring together in the mid-1990s and played capably. The O2 gig was quite good in spots, sort of not so good in others, but overall solid. It'll never be enough for those Zep superfans who want to see the band play no matter the level of ability or advancing age, but whatever. The one thing Zep has going for them is a level of mystique, in that they did their thing for a decade and then stopped. Nothing against The Rolling Stones or The Who, but those bands have kinda hung in there a bit too long. The one thing that can't be said about Zeppelin is that they overstayed their welcome.
                          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

To be fair these bands can't win.

If they keep going everyone says they aren't as good anymore and they owe their fans not to, if they stop then people constantly hassle them saying they owe their fans a reunion.

Comment

• Satan
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2004

Kinda too bad the "XYZ band" fizzled out before it really started. Word here in Hell is that Percy never got along with the Yes guys, so he bailed out early. And Page's smack use fucked up the ability to get much done, so eventually Squire & White found another guitar player named Trevor Rabin and changed the name of the band to Cinema, and then changed it back to "Yes" when they realized they weren't going to sell the damn record without Jon Anderson.

Would have liked to have heard Plant's take on this though.... because Squire really ain't a great singer.......

Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                              I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Kristy
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Age caught up with these boring asscrabs. Just like it did with Van Halen in 2012. The world has changed and the culture has moved on. And I know many of you love living in 1984 as if it never went away but Krist does it make for some of the most boring "reunion music ever. Living life at 65 is vastly different at 25 yet is is Plant who only realizes this. So fucking what if he wants to sing with a Americana act? More power to him! Even Roth tried a embarrassingly bluegrass act for a while did he not?

Comment

Working...