• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    To be fair these bands can't win.

If they keep going everyone says they aren't as good anymore and they owe their fans not to, if they stop then people constantly hassle them saying they owe their fans a reunion.
    Bullshit. They have more than enough to retire on. The only people they owe are their debt collectors for rehab clinic treatment.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

The greater the following, the greater the expectations. The big bands will always have a hard time evolving while attempting to "give the people what they want". Lesser known bands have it easy with producing new material for their cult following.

Kristy, I noticed your Fixx quote in your sig. Are you a fan? I've always thought they were under rated and got swept aside by the U2. They put out a new CD last year that is quite good. I think they're on the every 5 years crawl out of hibernation plan. They can probably take their semi-failed music career another 20 years at that rate. No one will give'em any shit for it, and they'll be able to pay for their utilities. Not a bad deal.

Comment

• Kristy
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

My dad used to listen to them. Think it was a month or two ago I saw 'Reach The Beach' "Remastered" so I just had to buy it (along with a Greatest Hits). They sound dated with all that cheesy 80's synth but what isn't these days? Good group, though.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
          ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Cy Curnin and Jamie West-Oram. The eighties answer to Mick and Keith!

But seriously, both very creative and over looked.

Comment

• Kristy
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Yeah, they were kind of an intellectual synth pop act.

Comment

• chuckjitsu
              Head Fluffer
              • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Terry
              I think Page, while obviously proud of what Zeppelin was, would jump at a reunion in a heartbeat...regardless of the condition of Plant's vocals.

Plant has said that part of his issue with reforming Zeppelin was control: the longer his solo career went on, the more control he had over it. To reform Zeppelin would mean giving up a degree of that control back to Page. Some of it clearly has to do with the friendship he had with John Bonham that went back to before Zeppelin was even formed, and the sense of loss he had over Bonham's death, something which [Plant] in some ways never got over. Also, Plant has said that one of the aspects he enjoyed about Zeppelin was that stylistically they were never content to just do the same thing over and over again. One of the things Plant mentioned that irks him about a lot of classic rock acts out on the road now is that they seem to him to be like a bunch of cabaret groups, churning out the oldies regardless of ability re: age.

Walking Into Clarksdale wasn't the Second Coming of Zeppelin, but in some ways it was a bit more honest than the Coverdale/Page album, which (although it had some tracks I enjoyed) reeked of some hare-brained scheme on the part of Geffen Records and John Kalodner to approximate Zeppelin, authenticated by Page's presence.

The remaining members of Zep had a couple of shit one-offs since 1980, but also Page and Plant did a fair amount of touring together in the mid-1990s and played capably. The O2 gig was quite good in spots, sort of not so good in others, but overall solid. It'll never be enough for those Zep superfans who want to see the band play no matter the level of ability or advancing age, but whatever. The one thing Zep has going for them is a level of mystique, in that they did their thing for a decade and then stopped. Nothing against The Rolling Stones or The Who, but those bands have kinda hung in there a bit too long. The one thing that can't be said about Zeppelin is that they overstayed their welcome.
              I get that there's a certain level of Velveeta when it comes to Coverdale, but his album with Page didn't seem contrived to me. I found the mid 90s Unledded stuff pretty uninteresting. Ditch Bob's backing band and the string section and call up Bonham & Jones and do it proper. Oh well.

I respect that they hung it up when they did and haven't really cared about any type of Zeppelin reunion in like 2 decades. The most interesting thing to me has been Plant's weird (for lack of a better term) psychology about Zeppelin. I haven't read every interview the dude's done, but of what i've read, it seems to me like his feelings toward that era are more complicated than what he's talked about. I don't know. Maybe i'm seeing something that isn't there, but i just get the feeling that there's more to the story than Percy is willing to talk about.

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

WTF is this bullshit, a speaking tour ??

Holy fuck...

And then then the song starts...

Really ??

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Kristy
                  And I know many of you love living in 1984 as if it never went away but Krist does it make for some of the most boring "reunion music ever.
                  You getting a god complex now?

Comment

• binnie
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Kristy
                    an intellectual synth pop act.
                    Who undoubtedly cuddled after......
                    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by binnie
                      Who undoubtedly cuddled after......
                      Not sure what that's supposed to mean in this case, but there are many 'compelling riffs' to be found throughout their body of work.

Comment

• binnie
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                        Not sure what that's supposed to mean in this case, but there are many 'compelling riffs' to be found throughout their body of work.
                        It means that the term 'intellectual synth pop' sounds like a synonym for 'bed-wetting girly-boys'.

Bit of a kiss of death label.

Comment

• binnie
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • May 2006

It should be noted that I quite like The Fixx......

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I dig.

Comment

• Kristy
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                              You getting a god complex now?
                              Had it for a while now, actually. Where have you been?

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                                Veteran
                                • Jun 2005

I'm not trying to derail the topic but i have to chime in on the Fixx. Love that band and Reach the Beach should be in everyone's collection.
                                RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                                LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

Working...