X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chuckjitsu
    Head Fluffer
    • Apr 2012

Worst Opening Band You've Endured

Thought of this while replying in another thread but didn't want to threadjack.

For me, it was The Melvins hands down. They opened for the band Helmet (one of my "best bands nobody's heard of" nominees (their 90s stuff anyway)) and were just god awful. I'd heard of them, but wasn't familiar with their music. Most, if not all, of the big Seattle bands in that day praised these guys as being influential, so i figured there had to be something redeeming about them. Wrong. Zero stage presence and the music was terrible. I literally couldn't tell when one song ended and another began- it was just one long, boring slog of a down-tuned mess. I almost cried in relief when they left the stage. Helmet saved the day with a great show.

On the flipside, the best opening band I've seen was Alice In Chains. They opened a Van Hagar concert I was at in '91 (i know, i know). This was in the Facelift era. The only song i was familiar with at the time was Man in the Box, but it was just one good tune after another. I bought the album as soon as I could after that. Good stuff.

So what say you Army- who has the honor of being the worst opening band you suffered through?
    Last edited by chuckjitsu; 08-27-2013, 07:55 PM.
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Probably a tie here.....

Either "After The Fire" (best known for the English version of "Der Kommissar") who opened for Van HALEN in 1982.

or

Third Eye Blind opening for the Stones in 1997. For a band whose one and only hit was about crystal meth use, they were downright sleep inducing.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
      Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

What about Ky-mani Marley?

Oh dear.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Sensible Shoes
        you sat thru that?
        Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Sensible Shoes
          Didn't actually see him. I was drinking beers until Van Halen took the stage.
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Yeah I tend to skip opening acts these days if I haven't heard of them.

They cannot compete with an extra hour of non venue booze.

Comment

• twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Loudness, opening for AC/DC?

NO!! Even worse...

ZO2, opening for Kiss/Poison.
              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• fraroc
                Commando
                • Jun 2012

Originally posted by twonabomber
                Loudness, opening for AC/DC?

NO!! Even worse...

ZO2, opening for Kiss/Poison.
                I actually like Z02. They do their part in keeping good o' rock n'roll alive. I saw them open for Whitesnake in 2011 and they played with much more feeling than Snake. I swear Whitesnake nowadays is not even a fucking band. It's just David Coverdale + A bunch of guys phoning it in.

There are some opening acts that just make no fucking sense like Slayer opening up for KISS on the Crazy Nights tour. It seems like KISS' opening acts sometimes make no correlation. Like when Iron Maiden opened for them during the 1980 Unmasked Tour, a heavy metal band opening up for KISS during their pop/disco era? Also when W.A.S.P opened for them on the Asylum tour and when that fucking rap metal group opened for them on the Psycho Circus tour.
                How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                  Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

1984 VH tour, Montreal. A shitty rockabilly band called The Velcros were the opening act. We booed them off the stage in three songs.
                  Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Faster Pussycat, a band I was interested in seeing, actually opened for Alice Cooper while being drunk out of their minds. You know when you've had about 14 or 15 beers and you can't remember if you even play an instrument, but you pick up your guitar anyway? That's what those guys sounded like.

Stage Dolls opened up for Blue Murder. They were pretty bad. That's about it.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2007

in retrospect, winger, openin' for Cinderella, I think
                      Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• sadaist
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jul 2004

Van Hagar....opening for Bon Jovi.

lol nah. Joke. I didn't see that show. But you can believe the once mighty Van Halen opened for fucking anchovy? WTF is that all about?

Uhh...saw this dude called himself Jack 9000 (cause 9000 notes in music or something like that). Opened for Joe Walsh back in the 80s. Awful. Crowd was throwing toilet paper rolls at him from the restrooms.
                        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                          Faster Pussycat, a band I was interested in seeing, actually opened for Alice Cooper while being drunk out of their minds. You know when you've had about 14 or 15 beers and you can't remember if you even play an instrument, but you pick up your guitar anyway? That's what those guys sounded like.
                          LOL I don't think they were exactly musical geniuses sober.

I liked their first couple of albums and saw them at their peak headline to 2000 here but later when I sought out a bootleg of the show it was a case of 'you had to be there'.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                            LOL I don't think they were exactly musical geniuses sober.
                            No, they certainly weren't, but this was either '89 or '90, Wake Me When It's Over had just come out and I dug about half of the songs on it. Figured it was a bonus to see a band I was into at the time open for the Coop. I was wrong.

Side note: Ace Frehley was also on that bill, but he was too intoxicated to take the stage. Talk about disappointing.

Comment

• twonabomber
                              formerly F A T
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by fraroc
                              when that fucking rap metal group opened for them on the Psycho Circus tour.
                              I had to look it up, we got Econoline Crush as openers at the Cleveland Psycho Circus show. I don't remember much about them, but I'm sure I was yelling "are you done yet?" two songs in.
                              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Working...