• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by envy_me

Beats Working is an old one, right? Maybe that's why it's catchy
    Yep, it goes all the way back to about 1976 or so.......

...except the lyrics, of course.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Igosplut
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      about unrequited love affairs with alien proctologists.
      Where the fucks a good alien anal probe when ya need one???
      Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• Jérôme Frenchise
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Nov 2004

"Beats Workin'" has that slight Kiss vibe... But I'll have it over anything Kiss ever made.

Maybe Dave could have sung it lower and left the higher tone to the backing vocals - just like in the good old days,
        back when it sounded just perfect.

The solo and outro kick some serious ass.
        posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
        posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• Terry
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
          I think the pussification of VH would have been greatly slowed down if not prevented by Roth staying at the helm.

With Roth still in the band you don't get Templeman replaced by a limp wristed balladeer or the rush to the soccer mom demographic by the dwarf master of cheesy mediocrity.

The conflict between singer and guitarist continues bringing the best out of both so that you don't end up with grown men pastel onesies and lyrics about unrequited love affairs with alien proctologists.
          I'd have to agree that had Roth stayed a CVH follow-up to 1984 probably wouldn't have sounded like 5150, even from an instrumental standpoint.
          Van Halen always had a degree of pop sensibility even when Roth was at the helm...one would imagine that the synth-creep wouldn't have been quite as upfront had Roth stuck around, and the non-synth tunes would have a bit more distinction and personality to them: outside of the 5150 title track, none of the non-synth tunes are distinctive to my ears.
          I'd also agree that the very presence of Dave in the band would have pushed the Van Halens to play a little harder, even if mostly out of anger and desperation. The band got very comfortable very quickly when Hagar joined, and a lot of the sonic fury was lost as a result.
          Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Hardrock69
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Igosplut
            Where the fucks a good alien anal probe when ya need one???
            I am sure Spambot could point you in that dubious direct-shun.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by envy_me
              I don't think ADKOT is what it could have been/should have been when it comes to songs. Maybe what they had as songwriters has faded. I think they realize that themselves considering that they are using old material.
              Not too sure about that. As Is, which as far as I can tell wasn't reworked from any old demos, was a pretty excellent track.

Going forward, I wonder if the lukewarm reception ADKOT got in terms of sales would put a damper on the band even wanting to bother with another full-length album.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Igosplut
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                I am sure Spambot could point you in that dubious direct-shun.
                I meant HIM, not me Rock
                Chainsaw Muthuafucka

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                  ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Terry
                  Going forward, I wonder if the lukewarm reception ADKOT got in terms of sales would put a damper on the band even wanting to bother with another full-length album.
                  I don't follow any of that stuff. Was it really only lukewarm in sales? I'm sure all of the free downloading didn't help.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Feb 2005

Well, you gotta figure as well that spreading it around the net just gave it a better reputation, and I bet it had better sales as a result, as it IS a stellar album!

Comment

• Zing!
                      Veteran
                      • Oct 2011

Is 500,000 sold lukewarm these days? I thought that was shithot sales in the download age? Am I wrong on that? Unless you give your album away for 99 cents like Chickenscatch, a half a mil ain't easy to come by anymore unless you're an autotuned corporate slut. Yes or no?
                      My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Sounds good to me. Not the .99 Chickenshit, the other thing.

Comment

• Halen High
                          Commando
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Zing!
                          Is 500,000 sold lukewarm these days? I thought that was shithot sales in the download age? Am I wrong on that? Unless you give your album away for 99 cents like Chickenscatch, a half a mil ain't easy to come by anymore unless you're an autotuned corporate slut. Yes or no?
                          Someone at the Links was tracking sales for VH and other major hardrock/metal artists throughout 2012 and 2013, and I think ADKOT turned out to be the best selling hardrock/metal album released over the last two years. The last figures I saw for ADKOT were a few months ago...about 420,000 (US) and 1m worldwide, or getting close to that globally. So yeah I'd say that in the current climate of diminishing sales/popularity for hardrock/metal, ADKOT did very well commercially.

Comment

• Halen High
                            Commando
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                            Sounds good to me. Not the .99 Chickenshit, the other thing.
                            I believe the rules have since changed and albums discounted to that level are no longer counted as official sales?

Comment

• Halen High
                              Commando
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                              I don't follow any of that stuff. Was it really only lukewarm in sales? I'm sure all of the free downloading didn't help.
                              Same here but I was curious this time to see how an album like this would go in today's market, and after all these years without Dave. It was an album for the hardcore fans - we love it and that's what really counts.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Totally agree HH. It came with virtually no "top 40 hit" material what so ever. To have nearly a million in sales based on minimal air play of Tattoo and a few building banners (lol), I'd say they did alright.

Comment

Working...