X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
    I thought the Rykodisc deal was considered decent. But then, Bowie was on RCA before that. Had to be a step up.
    PLUEEEEEZZZEEEE!

He had the fucking nerve to put out this:

Comment

• Kristy
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      Bowie pretty much invented glam so was needed for the bands you mention to exist.
      WRONG, slave Sesh Bowie more or less less ripped off the glam from Lou Reed/Velvet Underground. To me, Bowie always was a poor man's Lou Reed/Iggy Pop hybrid. His real great claim to fame was that he did more cocaine than Elton John.

Comment

• TJMKID
        Veteran
        • Mar 2004

"Young Americans" is my fav tune of his legendary catalog --- doesnt matter what race, gender, or age you are --- you're groovin' when you hear that song!

Plus, it's the most honest and scathing indictment of the plasticity of American society I ever heard. Bowie exposed us for the frauds we are.

RIP, Thin White Duke.

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Just for you Kristy.... early Bowie, with Jimmy Page on lead guitar.

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Kristy
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Oh, and two other really god damn fucking important accreditations must be due when it comes to Bowie:

One was (limey) singer Billy Fury who Bowie repeatedly noted as major influence. Bowie took a lot of his stage presence from Fury so much so that Bowie went on to cover Fury's 'Silly Boy Blue' on his first album. 'Wondrous Place' is one on my all-time Fury favs - well, until The Last Shadow Puppets got a hold of it.

The other was obviously Austrian singer Lotte Lenya (you might know her from the Doors covering 'Alabama Song' on their first album)

German composers (pre-Nazi slave FORD era) Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill were also major, major influences. You see, Lotte was Weill's wife. Bowie's decadent and melodious singing style was stolen right from the heart of Lotte Lenya.

Now just shut the fuck up, you suburban cretins. I'm getting tired of educating you all.

Comment

• FORD
              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Was that a request for Alabama song? well OK then......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Marilyn Manson:

My first introduction to David Bowie, was watching "Ashes to Ashes" on MTV. I was confused and captivated.

But it wasn't until my first real stay in Los Angeles, around 1997, that someone told me to take a moment to listen to something other than Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane and Hunky Dory. So I went for a dizzying car ride through the Hollywood Hills and listened to "Diamond Dogs."

All of my nostalgia, instantly turned to awe. I was hearing him sing about fiction as a mask to show his naked soul. This changed my life forever.

Every song of his was a way for me to communicate to others. It was a sedative. An arousal. A love letter I could never have written.

It has become and remains a soundtrack to a movie he painted with his voice and guitar.

He sang, "Hope, it's a cheap thing."

I don't need hope to know that he has found his way to the place that equals his untouchable, chameleon-genius beauty. The black star in space, that only HE belongs.

This crushing moment of fear and loss can only be treated the way his music has affected everyone who was fortunate enough to hear and love it.

Let's NEVER let go of what he gave us.

Marilyn Manson
                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• Green Manalishi
                  Head Fluffer
                  • Jul 2010

The late R & B singer Luther Vandross was a backup singer for David Bowie for many years . Bowie told him that he was too good a vocalist to be in the background and that he should step out and have his own career , which he did and quite successfully . He told Vandross that he ( Bowie ) should be opening for him ( Vandross ) . Saxophonist David Sanborn also played in Bowie's band and he also went on to his own successful career .

Comment

• Kristy
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

Marylin Mason. Golly! He is about as relevant and useful as a paper clip on a turtle's back.

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Green Manalishi
                      The late R & B singer Luther Vandross was a backup singer for David Bowie for many years . Bowie told him that he was too good a vocalist to be in the background and that he should step out and have his own career , which he did and quite successfully . He told Vandross that he ( Bowie ) should be opening for him ( Vandross ) . Saxophonist David Sanborn also played in Bowie's band and he also went on to his own successful career .
                      Don't forget Stevie Ray Vaughan, who was pretty much unknown (outside of Austin) until he played on the Let's Dance album...

He rehearsed with Bowie's band for the "Serious Moonlight" tour, but pulled out before it actually started....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Kristy
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Aug 2004

Slave FORD has obviously never heard of John Hammond

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Hammond "discovered" SRV after Bowie did. "Let's Dance" was recorded in January 1983 and three months later Stevie got his record deal at CBS.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

Comment

• Kristy
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

Wrong again, slave FORD

Comment

• cadaverdog
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Aug 2007

I'm all for freedom of speech on message boards and such but I think it shows a real lack of class to berate someone in a memorial thread. RIP David Jones.
                              Beware of Dog

Comment

• cadaverdog
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Von Halen
                                Blowie sucked. Is that an oxymoron?

You faggits sit around and bash Warrant, Dokken, Ratt, Van Hagar, Winger, and countless others? But put this pussy music making homo on a pedestal? "Great"? I've never heard one song of his come on the radio, and NOT cause me to turn the channel!
                                You know what they say. Opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one. Some just stink more than others.
                                Beware of Dog

Comment

Working...