Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

Is all this remake shit part of a wider 'retro' vibe in modern culture (think about the revival of classic rock, tours in which bands play all of a classic record)?

I can't believe that there aren't talented writers out there - TV drama is flourishing. It just seems that Hollywood doesn't think that there's much money in originality.

I expect we'll see many films follwing 'The Artist' soon.......
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• vandeleur
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by binnie
      Is all this remake shit part of a wider 'retro' vibe in modern culture (think about the revival of classic rock, tours in which bands play all of a classic record)?

I can't believe that there aren't talented writers out there - TV drama is flourishing. It just seems that Hollywood doesn't think that there's much money in originality.

I expect we'll see many films follwing 'The Artist' soon.......
      Thank god this doesnt happen in music ..... imagine remakes of classic songs dumbed down for mass consumption .... shit good jobs those sort of programmes dont exist
      Last edited by vandeleur; 03-30-2012, 09:52 AM.
      fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• vandeleur
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Sep 2009

Not sure if this is part of any of this except its movie related ...
        The last couple of days I keep hearing comments and reviews of the new movie wrath of othe titans ......Dont know if its an english accent thing but it sure sounds like ROTH OF THE TITANS ...makes me smile every time i hear it
        fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

Originally posted by vandeleur
          Thank god this doesnt happen in music ..... imagine remakes of classic songs dumbed down for mass consumption .... shit good jobs those sort of programmes dont exist
          It does happen in music to some extent. Bands don't clone songs, but they clone sounds. How many Led Zep clone bands have there been? Too many.

Comment

• jhale667
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by gbranton
            Wow, learn something new every day - I'd always heard the accident happened when they were shooting the opening scene (which was reportedly one of the last shot, the movie was 90% done) in Shelly's apartment, when Eric Draven is shot, after being stabbed, and thrown out the window...I'd heard it was where Tin-Tin and Funboy picked Draven up and T-Bird shot him in the chest at close range...that was supposedly the reason they had to superimpose Lee's face on another actor in the freefall scene.

I'm surprised Massey only took a year off. I'd be permanently FUBAR.
            Originally posted by conmee
            If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
            Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
            I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
            Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
            Originally posted by eddie78
            I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• gbranton
              Veteran
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by jhale667
              Wow, learn something new every day - I'd always heard the accident happened when they were shooting the opening scene (which was reportedly one of the last shot, the movie was 90% done) in Shelly's apartment, when Eric Draven is shot, after being stabbed, and thrown out the window...I'd heard it was where Tin-Tin and Funboy picked Draven up and T-Bird shot him in the chest at close range...that was supposedly the reason they had to superimpose Lee's face on another actor in the freefall scene.

I'm surprised Massey only took a year off. I'd be permanently FUBAR.
              I think I would be greatly affected by that as well and it probably has stuck with him, he looks a little on the worse for wear side to me.

I think after the accident the script got changed up a bit, as there were still a couple of scenes to be shot, so they ended up chaning up some of the shots.
              "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• jhale667
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by gbranton
                I think I would be greatly affected by that as well and it probably has stuck with him, he looks a little on the worse for wear side to me.

I think after the accident the script got changed up a bit, as there were still a couple of scenes to be shot, so they ended up chaning up some of the shots.

It did...they completlely eliminated one character, "The Skull Cowboy" - which was Draven's spirit guide, and taught him the ropes of being undead. They decided after Lee's death it would have been too morbid to basically have a talking decaying cowboy corpse following him around the whole movie (kind of dumb since it worked so well in "An American Werewolf in London"). The late Stan Winston considered the make-up job he did one of his crowning achievements, and it got left on the cutting room floor. There's a couple of clips of him on YouTube, the best being one of him warning Draven not to go into the church to rescue the little girl - but not a lot that's substantial, unfortunately. They also had to shoot a few scenes with a body double - the ones I know about being the scene where he first goes back to his old place and finds the mask that inspires his Crow makeup, that's the double with his back to the camera (according to a mini-documentary I saw years ago) the freefall scene, and the shot of Eric and Shelly in the field in happier times...who knows what else. A couple of shots are pretty obviously superimposed with Lee's face because CGI still sucked in 1994. That movie was still bad-ass I thought despite everything that went wrong with it...I can still watch it today, unlike the crappy sequels!
                Originally posted by conmee
                If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                Originally posted by eddie78
                I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• gbranton
                  Veteran
                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by jhale667
                  It did...they completlely eliminated one character, "The Skull Cowboy" - which was Draven's spirit guide, and taught him the ropes of being undead. They decided after Lee's death it would have been too morbid to basically have a talking decaying cowboy corpse following him around the whole movie (kind of dumb since it worked so well in "An American Werewolf in London"). The late Stan Winston considered the make-up job he did one of his crowning achievements, and it got left on the cutting room floor.
                  I would like to see the movie with that character in place, it sounds like something that would have added a lot to the film.
                  "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

It's amazing what a creative cesspool, resulting from an incestuous circle-jerk, Hollywood has become....

Comment

• binnie
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • May 2006

There are still some great movies coming out (in Hollywood and elsewhere). It seems that where they're struggling is in action/sci-fi films/horror

Drama and thriller are flourishing in many respects....

Comment

• Hardrock69
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Feb 2005

Ok so my MOM of all people clued me into something just now.

The Dark Shadows remake appears to be a comedy. Just heard Alice Cooper on TV at her house, performing No More Mr. Nice Guy, and I asked her what the hell was on TV....she said that in the commercial, Barnabas Collins (the vampire) had never seen a TV before ane was tripping out on it......and was watching Alice Cooper on TV, lol.

IF it is a comedy, it might be a nice switch, and I might see it. I just did not want to see a fucking remake of the dramatic version, as that would have been a load of shit.

Comment

• Zing!
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2011

Yes - Tim Burton is one of the last of a dying breed who can still bring something original to the table (in between his Hollyweird paycheck duds like Planet of the Apes). But on average, Burton has more hits than misses. Not too many of his flicks that I haven't enjoyed - looking forward to his remake of his own film: Frankenweenie!
                          My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• Terry
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                            It's amazing what a creative cesspool, resulting from an incestuous circle-jerk, Hollywood has become....
                            I dunno if it's just a reflection of an overall dumbing-down of American pop culture tastes, or just pandering to the mindsets of teenage girls, but it is honestly tough for me to become enthused enough at what is playing at the local multiplex to even bother seeing a movie in the theaters anymore.

Far as mainstream flicks go, it doesn't appear there are many movies being made for adults anymore, or at least adults with an IQ of over 90.
                            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Feb 2005

I just saw a TV commercial for the new Total Recall, and I have decided I REALLY want to see it. This version is much more "serious", the FX look kickass and overall it looks like the original on steroids. No release date given......just "summer".

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by binnie
                                There are still some great movies coming out (in Hollywood and elsewhere).
                                There were a hell of a lot more during the 1970s.

There are far far too many crappy blockbusters for teenagers designed by committee. They have come up with a formula for event movies whereby if they spend enough on marketing it doesn't matter a fuck how bad the movie is, it will still make money because they don't rely on word of mouth.

This is why they will happily put huge spoilers in the trailers even showing scenes from the end of the film, they don't give a fuck about anything apart from getting people into the cinemas in the first week.

Comment

Working...