Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

There are verses in Leviticus that refer to bats as birds and insist that all insects have 4 legs. Obviously these are not true statements. If God wrote, or even directly dictated the Bible, word for word, then that would make God a liar, since He certainly knows those things aren't true.

Now obviously, I don't think God is a liar. Which only leaves the reality that He didn't write the book.

In no way does that devalue the Gospels, or the books of prophecy or the historical material included in the other books. A lot of Truth can be found in the Bible, but that doesn't mean God dropped it out of the sky in one piece.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by HELLVIS
      God didn't write it. Men did.
      The bible is the inspired word of God...

We are all God's children, and he uses people for his purpose, if we're willing to let him...

God used the authors of the bible to write his word...

Comment

• HELLVIS
        Foot Soldier
        • Jul 2004

Hey ELVIS, what's up?
        He throws a punch.
        He swings. I duck.
        His fat ass falls...
        Hey Sammy,you still SUCK!

Comment

• ELVIS
          Banned
          • Dec 2003

Not much...

Comment

• Cathedral
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
            There are verses in Leviticus that refer to bats as birds and insist that all insects have 4 legs. Obviously these are not true statements. If God wrote, or even directly dictated the Bible, word for word, then that would make God a liar, since He certainly knows those things aren't true.

Now obviously, I don't think God is a liar. Which only leaves the reality that He didn't write the book.

In no way does that devalue the Gospels, or the books of prophecy or the historical material included in the other books. A lot of Truth can be found in the Bible, but that doesn't mean God dropped it out of the sky in one piece.
            I never said it fell out of the sky in 1 piece, I was just pointing out that the scripture does speak against homosexuality, and it does.

Picking and choosing what you want to believe from the bible will be a one way ticket to Hell, and you should know better than that. until now, I assumed you knew that.

Comment

• HELLVIS
              Foot Soldier
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS

We are all God's children, and he uses people for his purpose, if we're willing to let him...

And...you are correct sir!
              He throws a punch.
              He swings. I duck.
              His fat ass falls...

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

I don't know what's so hard to understand about that...

Comment

• HELLVIS
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Jul 2004

Search me?
                  He throws a punch.
                  He swings. I duck.
                  His fat ass falls...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Sounds like Doug Giles has more in common with like minded religious extremists in al-Qaida and the Taliban than our founding fathers. Assholes like this pseudo-moralist cunt must make Thomas Jefferson roll over in his grave. I'm sure Giles was smiling on 9/11 along with his no-doubt heroes Rev. Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson as the airliners smashed into the Trade Center towers. Both men essentially said America deserved to be attacked because our nation was rife with immoral homosexuals, liberals, and abortionists. I guess birds of a feather... (in religious fundamentalist fascist cults i.e. al-Qaida, The Moral Majority etc.)

Comment

• knuckleboner
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral

If Jesus hadn't been sentenced to death by a Liberal mind (cared nothing for truth or facts), who knows what else he would have said to his followers.
                      (well, technically, cat, Jesus was sentenced by a conservative mind...in that sense of conservative preserving the status quo...)

but seriously, i believe Jesus said he was the fulfillment of the old testatment. but, there are a few things in the old testament at odds with the new, correct?

i mean, i'm pretty sure the old testament doesn't give too much flexibility on when/how one should observe the sabbath. the pharasees in the new testament thought they had a pretty good read on that. but Jesus seems to think a bit differently.

Jesus never said that homosexuality was ok, to be sure. but he also spoke a bit about compassion for jews and gentiles alike. if God/Jesus believes that homosexuals should be condemned, He'll do it; as judgment is the Lord's. but absent Jesus' teaching on the subject, i don't think it's inherent that Christians can't support civil (secular) rights for them.

Comment

• Warham
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

In Matthew 5: 17-20, Jesus speaks on the Old Testament and who FORD refers to as 'murderers'...

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.
                        Anyone who breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commandments will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven."

The Law Jesus refers to are the first five books of the Old Testament, including Leviticus. The Prophets refers to the Major prophets, Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel, as well as the 12 Minor Prophets. Take these together, the "Law" and the "Prophets", and this designates the entire Old Testament, along wth the Writings, the third section of the Hebrew Bible.

Jesus emphasized the deeper meanings in the Law, the underlying principles.

You can't believe in what Jesus preaches, FORD, without acknowledging that these books, written by sinful men who were inspired by GOD, are the true words of Christ. If GOD inspired the Old Testament, and Jesus insists he has come to fulfill the Old Testament, there's no wiggle room. Moses may have been a murderer, but I know he has a place in heaven. I'm not sure that can be said for others who preach they know the words of GOD, but don't have a real grasp of where he comes from.

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

Thank you Warham...

Awesome post!

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                            Bottom line is that GOD didn't write one word of the Bible.
                            Wrong. FORD, for you professing to be a Christian, you worry me. You show a fundamental lack of understanding of Christian doctrine.
                            “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS

Elvis is correct.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral
                                Dude, there isn't one single person that ever has or will walk this earth that is "infallible" besides Jesus himself, and even he wasn't perfect.

Hmmm..........yes He was. That statement worries me also Cat.

Comment

Working...