• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Warham
    Why the Missing Link Is Still Missing
    The missing link - The fossil record vs.
    the Charles Darwin theory of evolution

by Charles Colson
    An article no doubt completely rejected by mainstream science, and one you "cut and paste" from a Creationist web site.

-No Creationist articles are ever submitted to scientific journals.

-No Creationist "scientists" ever attend major conferences, since they would be laughed off the podium.

The Missing link? Because one species remains elusive, that disproves the theory of Evolution? That's like saying the electromagnetism of two magnets disproves Gravity!

Several frauds and hoaxes have been perpretrated by "Creationist Scientists" in hopes of proving that men walked with dinosaurs.

As for the 'Missing Link:'

The Fossil Fallacy
    Creationists' demand for fossils that represent "missing links" reveals a deep misunderstanding of science

By Michael Shermer

Nineteenth-century English social scientist Herbert Spencer made this prescient observation: "Those who cavalierly reject the Theory of Evolution, as not adequately supported by facts, seem quite to forget that their own theory is supported by no facts at all." Well over a century later nothing has changed. When I debate creationists, they present not one fact in favor of creation and instead demand "just one transitional fossil" that proves evolution. When I do offer evidence (for example, Ambulocetus natans, a transitional fossil between ancient land mammals and modern whales), they respond that there are now two gaps in the fossil record.

This is a clever debate retort, but it reveals a profound error that I call the Fossil Fallacy: the belief that a "single fossil"--one bit of data--constitutes proof of a multifarious process or historical sequence. In fact, proof is derived through a convergence of evidence from numerous lines of inquiry--multiple, independent inductions, all of which point to an unmistakable conclusion.
    ADVERTISEMENT (article continues below)
    We know evolution happened not because of transitional fossils such as A. natans but because of the convergence of evidence from such diverse fields as geology, paleontology, biogeography, comparative anatomy and physiology, molecular biology, genetics, and many more. No single discovery from any of these fields denotes proof of evolution, but together they reveal that life evolved in a certain sequence by a particular process.

One of the finest compilations of evolutionary data and theory since Charles Darwin's On the Origin of Species is Richard Dawkins's magnum opus, The Ancestor's Tale: A Pilgrimage to the Dawn of Evolution (Houghton Mifflin, 2004)--688 pages of convergent science recounted with literary elegance. Dawkins traces numerous transitional fossils (what he calls "concestors," the last common ancestor shared by a set of species) from Homo sapiens back four billion years to the origin of heredity and the emergence of evolution. No single concestor proves that evolution happened, but together they reveal a majestic story of process over time.

We know evolution happened because of a convergence of evidence.

Consider the tale of the dog. With so many breeds of dogs popular for so many thousands of years, one would think there would be an abundance of transitional fossils providing paleontologists with copious data from which to reconstruct their evolutionary ancestry. In fact, according to Jennifer A. Leonard, an evolutionary biologist then at the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History, "the fossil record from wolves to dogs is pretty sparse." Then how do we know whence dogs evolved? In the November 22, 2002, Science, Leonard and her colleagues report that mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) data from early dog remains "strongly support the hypothesis that ancient American and Eurasian domestic dogs share a common origin from Old World gray wolves."

In the same issue, molecular biologist Peter Savolainen of the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm and his colleagues note that even though the fossil record is problematic, their study of mtDNA sequence variation among 654 domestic dogs from around the world "points to an origin of the domestic dog in East Asia" about 15,000 years before the present from a single gene pool of wolves.

Finally, anthropologist Brian Hare of Harvard University and his colleagues describe in this same issue the results of a study showing that domestic dogs are more skillful than wolves at using human signals to indicate the location of hidden food. Yet "dogs and wolves do not perform differently in a nonsocial memory task, ruling out the possibility that dogs outperform wolves in all human-guided tasks," they write. Therefore, "dogs' social-communicative skills with humans were acquired during the process of domestication."

No single fossil proves that dogs came from wolves, but archaeological, morphological, genetic and behavioral "fossils" converge to reveal the concestor of all dogs to be the East Asian wolf. The tale of human evolution is divulged in a similar manner (although here we do have an abundance of fossils), as it is for all concestors in the history of life. We know evolution happened because innumerable bits of data from myriad fields of science conjoin to paint a rich portrait of life's pilgrimage.

Michael Shermer is publisher of Skeptic (www.skeptic.com) and author of The Science of Good and Evil.

Comment

• Warham
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

Microevolution happened, sure.

I don't agree Macroevolution happened.

When scientists are able to take inorganic substances and convert them to organic substances, or to show such a thing happening, I will convert.

I doubt that will ever happen.

I only cut and paste because you do, Nick.

When you feel you want to get away from the security blanket, I'll gladly stop doing it.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I'm willing to engage ANYONE in a civil, mature one on one discussion of Christianity without copying and pasting, but I doubt I'll find any takers. If someone here is really willing to learn about Christ and the Bible, I'm willing and able to tell them what I have learned (you can never learn enough).
        You just copied and pasted an article! WTF??

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Microevolution happened, sure.

I don't agree Macroevolution happened.

When scientists are able to take inorganic substances and convert them to organic substances, or to show such a thing happening, I will convert.

Scientists don't have billions of years to replicate things in a lab.

I doubt that will ever happen.

I only cut and paste because you do, Nick.

You've always cut and pasted! Always! You make love to Google!

When you feel you want to get away from the security blanket, I'll gladly stop doing it.
          I'm not asking you to do anything except to stop being a flaming hypocrite.

Comment

• Jesterstar
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

Sure, the lower order is unaware of what most of those initiation rites and rituals really mean.

You agree with me that it is demonic, right?
            MAsons are Luciferian. The NWO and all the men in Boheimains Mens club are all luciferian. It's a Illuminatti concept at least as far as the Bible goes. They beleive that Satan because he was willing to give Adam and Eve the Knowledge that God was hiding from them as the Bringer of light and Illumination or Intellegence as interperted by them. Lucifer is their master.

Pure and True Satanism as conceived by Anton Lavey in my mind is a brilliant relegeion and has nothing to do with what higher level masons and illuminatti are involved in.
            Seshmeister is such a STUD.........OOOOOOOOOO

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/im...cnesbitt_1.jpg

Comment

• LoungeMachine
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Jesterstar
              Just because your Mother Made 70 Bucks Stripping at the "DRoopy Pigglet" Last night doesn't mean your Rich Fatty.

The New "Career" (Check your SPelling Fatty) is comming along just fine.

your

you're

we've covered this nimrod.

You calling out a typo on me is hilarious. You spell at a third grade level, and are proud of it.

Mama Jokes?

Go back to the dump and "owning" men and wishing they'd blow you, fucknut.

Or go play your shitty acoustic some more and see if you can finally get from C to G without looking
              Originally posted by Kristy
              Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
              Originally posted by cadaverdog
              I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• Jesterstar
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                your

you're

we've covered this nimrod.

You calling out a typo on me is hilarious. You spell at a third grade level, and are proud of it.

Mama Jokes?

Go back to the dump and "owning" men and wishing they'd blow you, fucknut.

Or go play your shitty acoustic some more and see if you can finally get from C to G without looking
                Jesterstar does what he wants to do. He's a Profit and I channel him. Wake up dude. I'm going to take so much more risk than you. WAit till you see what I got for THE STAR FANS on the net. Because they've been waiting for it. That is fact. End of story.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jul 2004

I'm willing to engage ANYONE in a civil, mature one on one discussion of Christianity without copying and pasting, but I doubt I'll find any takers. If someone here is really willing to learn about Christ and the Bible, I'm willing and able to tell them what I have learned (you can never learn enough).
                  No you're not.

What you ARE willing to do is listen ONLY to what you believe already.

I'll tell you what is funny about this whole thread.

You right wing thumpers believe that you follow the ONLY way, and that ALL others are evil and going to hell.

Yet here you are, wasting all of this time and energy on us, knowing full well that you have heaven and 27 virgins waiting for you, and we're all going to hell for all eternity.

Why if you are so certain of this, are you bothering with a couple of kooks on a God Damn DLR message Board???:confused:

I mean seriously, why bother?

It sure seems to get under your skin to have anyone even bring up comparisons to other extremists, or other beliefs and theories.

Perhaps you're not as certain as you wish us to believe

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jul 2004

Jesterstar does what he wants to do. He's a Profit and I channel him. Wake up dude. I'm going to take so much more risk than you. WAit till you see what I got for THE STAR FANS on the net. Because they've been waiting for it. That is fact. End of story.
                    Profit???????

do you mean Prophet ????????

Profit is what you'll never make.

And speaking in the third person RAMTHA is more proof you're a fucking worthless troll.

You suck. You have no talent.

Go pracitice.

And get a real job and buy a real guitar You're too old to ask daddy.

Comment

• Jesterstar
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jan 2004

Loungemachine It's nice to see you've taken so much time away from your Special blend of Frosted Flakes, Coco Puffs and Cookie Crisp Cerial to respond to me. I know that Eating Suger Frosted Cooked MoistGrain gives you something to get that 2 inces of love that you Threaten Teenage Boys on the net with in Cyber Chat rooms.

Your a fag and will never have one of the two testicals I have you bitch.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jul 2004

Your a fag and will never have one of the two testicals I have you bitch.
                        I take that back......2nd. grade level at best

Don't fear education.

Comment

• Jesterstar
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                          I take that back......2nd. grade level at best

Don't fear education.
                          I school you everytime I fucking own you Fat Trailor Prisoner ass.

Comment

• academic punk
                            Full Member Status

• Dec 2004

Is there some basis to the fat jokes here?

He's calling you stupid, broke, and dependent, and all you've got is fat jokes?

Comment

• Jesterstar
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by academic punk

Because I ain't any of those things. Why argue points that are false. My REAL LIFE is going to be up on the net. Real Film of me living my life. Doing my things and Providing the entertainment that I can provide.

End of story. None of you fucks can even come close to this. You haven't and you won't. Owned.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by academic punk

5' 10" 165 lbs.

Is that even fat at 43? I keep in good shape.

Funny thing is, he KNOWS he's stupid, broke, and dependent.

It doesn't bother him

He BRAGS about it

Welcome to the future = Idiots on Parade

Comment

Working...