Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

Where'd this guy get a missle. I WANT A MISSLE!!!!
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• Unchainme
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
      Dude, are you going to spam this forum by posting pics of demonstrators you're getting from some website?
      Nope I'm done but It was pretty funny looking at the protesters though admit it.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Unchainme
        Nope I'm done but It was pretty funny looking at the protesters though admit it.
        It's also pretty funny wading through bullshit:

Friday, May 6, 2005

Gay sex scandal rocks Spokane
        Mayor denies he abused boys in 1970s or misused his office

By CHRIS McGANN AND KATHY MULADY
        SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTERS

Spokane Mayor Jim West, who championed an anti-gay agenda during his tenure as one of the most powerful Republicans in the Legislature, yesterday admitted to using the trappings of his current office to entice what he thought was a young adult man but denied allegations that he molested two young boys more than 20 years ago.

West confirmed to The Spokesman-Review of Spokane that he offered gifts, favors and a City Hall internship during Internet chats with a man he believed was 18. The online pen pal was actually a forensic computer expert working for the newspaper. After the story hit the newsstands yesterday, West sent city staffers a remorseful e-mail.

"I want to sincerely apologize to you personally for the shame I have brought to the Mayor's office and the city," West wrote. "I stumbled and let you down."

The accusations of child molestation stem from The Spokesman-Review's three-year investigation and interviews with two felons who said West fondled them and forced them to perform sexual acts on him when they were Boy Scouts.

The accounts have not been confirmed or dismissed by law enforcement officials, and no investigations are planned.

Nonetheless, West's tacit acknowledgement of gay sex sent political shock waves across the state.

In more than 20 years in the Legislature, West had initiated legislation to outlaw sexual contact between consenting teenagers; supported a bill that would have barred gays and lesbians from working for schools, day care centers and some state agencies; voted to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman; and, as Senate majority leader, allowed a bill that would ban discrimination against gays and lesbians to die in committee without a hearing.

As Spokane mayor, West threatened to veto a measure extending benefits to domestic partners of city employees.

"It's a pretty egregious case of hypocrisy," Washington State University political scientist Lance LeLoup told The Associated Press.

Sen. Jim Honeyford, R-Sunnyside, said from what he's read, "it's a pretty sad situation for Jim ... It will be very difficult for him, if these allegations are true."

Honeyford, a Republican leader in Olympia, said he and his party oppose issues such as gay marriage because, he said, homosexuality is immoral.

He said West "must have kept his personal life separate from his political life." If West is gay, Honeyford said, he would be at odds with GOP values.

"For the Republican mainstream I would say, yes, probably it would be incompatible."

The Spokesman-Review story included detailed accounts and photographs of two men who allege West molested them when they were in the Boy Scouts.

Both men have criminal records related to drug problems.

Asked about the claims, West told the newspaper: "I didn't abuse them. I don't know these people. I didn't abuse anybody, and I didn't have sex with anybody under 18 -- ever -- woman or man."

In a statement yesterday, West elaborated.

"Allegations about my private life were twofold. I categorically deny allegations about incidents that supposedly occurred 24 years ago as alleged by two convicted felons and about which I have no knowledge," West said. "The newspaper also reported that I have visited a gay chat line on the Internet and had relations with adult men. I don't deny that."

During a brief news conference yesterday, West said he was a law-abiding citizen.

West did not return calls from the Post-Intelligencer for comment yesterday.

West resigned from his post on the board of directors for the Inland Northwest Council of the Boy Scouts of America yesterday morning.

He didn't give a reason, but he knew that anytime someone in a similar position is accused of abuse, the Boy Scouts remove the person from the position until the accusations are resolved, said scout executive Tim McCandless.

West, 54, said he intended to serve out the 1,150 days left in his mayoral term.

West's days in power are numbered even if he doesn't resign, said LeLoup, the Washington State University political scientist.

"He was probably one of the most influential Eastern Washington politicians," LeLoup said. "I believe his political career is over. Plenty of politicians overcome scandals, but I don't see how it's possible in this case."

Some employees at Spokane City Hall were shocked by the accusations, others were trying to understand the implications. City Council members were inundated with phone calls.

"At this point, they are all allegations. Until they become provable with facts, I am treating them just as allegations," said Spokane Councilman Al French. "If the allegations are true, I don't condone it."

He said a number of callers told him they believe that an elected official's private life should be private.

Councilman Bob Apple said he had heard the rumors about West since the 1970s, but the details yesterday "fell on all of us like a ton of bricks."

"I am very cautious about believing them. None have ever held up. His responses today do disturb me. He admits going on the Internet chat rooms and admits having physical relationships with other guys."

Apple is among those bothered by the timing of the story.

"These allegations have been around for 30 years. Why are they coming up now? It really gives me concern that there are some puppet strings being pulled, that there were some people who knew about this and used that clout."

Apple said it is interesting that the allegations surfaced just as the council is considering a domestic partners ordinance in the city.

Apple also mentioned the settlement the city reached last week in connection with the River Park Square parking garage, wrapping up a controversy that has divided the city for nearly a decade. The garage serves a downtown mall. The mall owners also have an ownership interest in the company that publishes The Spokesman-Review.

As the Spokane council members said, West's sexuality had been the subject of rumors across the state for years but hadn't been publicized until yesterday's newspaper stories.

Concerning his sexual orientation, West told the Spokane paper, "I wouldn't characterize me as 'gay,' " but didn't distance himself from the term "bisexual."

During a Feb. 26 online conversation published in the Spokesman-Review, West wrote to someone posing as a teenager.

"Remember, Im very closeted. No one knows I like guys. Except the few guys Ive been with and highly trusted," West wrote.

"Its just that the openly gay guys are a little over the top for me. I dont really like the in-your-face attitude some guys have. And the massive political agenda either. I say live and let live. Most gay guys turn me off, too."

The Spokesman-Review said the person posing as the teenager initially indicated he was 17 when the online conversations began and later told West he turned 18 in March.

During his time in the Legislature, West gained a reputation as an effective, fierce parliamentary strategist.

He was also controversial. In 1998, he left a threatening message for a lobbyist after becoming enraged by a newspaper ad a building industry group took out.

In response, he left a message on the answering machine of a leader in that group that said, "You son of a bitch, you better get me, 'cause if you don't, you're dead."

West said he was only being metaphorical, threatening that the group would not receive the support and access it had always enjoyed with West if it didn't lay off.

West was charged with two misdemeanors, received a $250 fine and was put on probation. He also had to donate $500 to charity, pay court costs and apologize.

State Republican Party Chairman Chris Vance said the current scandal would not harm the GOP.

Despite West's own aspirations to run for governor, Vance said that he had not been discussed as a possible contender in 2004 and would not be for the 2008 election.

WHAT THEY'RE SAYING

The Spokesman-Review newspaper published a report yesterday detailing accusations that Spokane Mayor Jim West had molested two boys decades ago and had more recently used his position to try to attract young men on a gay Web site.

Here's what people were saying about the allegations:

"This is not a story about sexual orientation. This is a story about alleged sexual abuse of children and misuse of power and authority."

-- Steven Smith, editor of The Spokesman-Review, in a note to readers in yesterday's newspaper

"That's clearly a misuse of power. The best thing Jim West could do for Spokane and for himself is resign."

-- Lance LeLoup, Washington State University political science professor

"This is between Jim West and the people of Spokane. ... What happens to individuals doesn't reflect the party as a whole."

-- Chris Vance, state Republican Party chairman

"The public's trust is eroded when what elected officials advocate is different from how they conduct their own life."

-- State Senate Majority Leader Lisa Brown, D-Spokane

"The allegations are disturbing, and that's putting it lightly. I can't say I ever saw anything personally to conclude that any of it was true."

-- Sen. Brad Benson, R-Spokane

"It's unfortunate, but I'm glad it's finally out."

-- Kevan Gardner of the Pride Foundation, which supports gays and lesbians

"He was a very strong state senator and a very powerful state senator. ... If indeed he is gay, it's kind of anomalous that he would be so aggressively antagonistic to (gay) civil rights legislation."

-- Phil Talmadge, former Democratic state legislator who served with West in the Senate

"Some people have had some hints about it and some people are very shocked. ... Jim West is a cutthroat politician. He likes power over people -- and over young people."

-- Sen. Pam Roach, R-Auburn, who clashed with West in the Senate

"I don't comment on members' personal lives."

-- Rep. Ed Murray, D-Seattle, one of four openly gay Washington state legislators

P-I reporter Angela Galloway and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Comment

• Unchainme
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
          It's also pretty funny wading through bullshit:

Friday, May 6, 2005

Gay sex scandal rocks Spokane
          Mayor denies he abused boys in 1970s or misused his office

By CHRIS McGANN AND KATHY MULADY
          SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTERS

Spokane Mayor Jim West, who championed an anti-gay agenda during his tenure as one of the most powerful Republicans in the Legislature, yesterday admitted to using the trappings of his current office to entice what he thought was a young adult man but denied allegations that he molested two young boys more than 20 years ago.

West confirmed to The Spokesman-Review of Spokane that he offered gifts, favors and a City Hall internship during Internet chats with a man he believed was 18. The online pen pal was actually a forensic computer expert working for the newspaper. After the story hit the newsstands yesterday, West sent city staffers a remorseful e-mail.

"I want to sincerely apologize to you personally for the shame I have brought to the Mayor's office and the city," West wrote. "I stumbled and let you down."

The accusations of child molestation stem from The Spokesman-Review's three-year investigation and interviews with two felons who said West fondled them and forced them to perform sexual acts on him when they were Boy Scouts.

The accounts have not been confirmed or dismissed by law enforcement officials, and no investigations are planned.

Nonetheless, West's tacit acknowledgement of gay sex sent political shock waves across the state.

In more than 20 years in the Legislature, West had initiated legislation to outlaw sexual contact between consenting teenagers; supported a bill that would have barred gays and lesbians from working for schools, day care centers and some state agencies; voted to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman; and, as Senate majority leader, allowed a bill that would ban discrimination against gays and lesbians to die in committee without a hearing.

As Spokane mayor, West threatened to veto a measure extending benefits to domestic partners of city employees.

"It's a pretty egregious case of hypocrisy," Washington State University political scientist Lance LeLoup told The Associated Press.

Sen. Jim Honeyford, R-Sunnyside, said from what he's read, "it's a pretty sad situation for Jim ... It will be very difficult for him, if these allegations are true."

Honeyford, a Republican leader in Olympia, said he and his party oppose issues such as gay marriage because, he said, homosexuality is immoral.

He said West "must have kept his personal life separate from his political life." If West is gay, Honeyford said, he would be at odds with GOP values.

"For the Republican mainstream I would say, yes, probably it would be incompatible."

The Spokesman-Review story included detailed accounts and photographs of two men who allege West molested them when they were in the Boy Scouts.

Both men have criminal records related to drug problems.

Asked about the claims, West told the newspaper: "I didn't abuse them. I don't know these people. I didn't abuse anybody, and I didn't have sex with anybody under 18 -- ever -- woman or man."

In a statement yesterday, West elaborated.

"Allegations about my private life were twofold. I categorically deny allegations about incidents that supposedly occurred 24 years ago as alleged by two convicted felons and about which I have no knowledge," West said. "The newspaper also reported that I have visited a gay chat line on the Internet and had relations with adult men. I don't deny that."

During a brief news conference yesterday, West said he was a law-abiding citizen.

West did not return calls from the Post-Intelligencer for comment yesterday.

West resigned from his post on the board of directors for the Inland Northwest Council of the Boy Scouts of America yesterday morning.

He didn't give a reason, but he knew that anytime someone in a similar position is accused of abuse, the Boy Scouts remove the person from the position until the accusations are resolved, said scout executive Tim McCandless.

West, 54, said he intended to serve out the 1,150 days left in his mayoral term.

West's days in power are numbered even if he doesn't resign, said LeLoup, the Washington State University political scientist.

"He was probably one of the most influential Eastern Washington politicians," LeLoup said. "I believe his political career is over. Plenty of politicians overcome scandals, but I don't see how it's possible in this case."

Some employees at Spokane City Hall were shocked by the accusations, others were trying to understand the implications. City Council members were inundated with phone calls.

"At this point, they are all allegations. Until they become provable with facts, I am treating them just as allegations," said Spokane Councilman Al French. "If the allegations are true, I don't condone it."

He said a number of callers told him they believe that an elected official's private life should be private.

Councilman Bob Apple said he had heard the rumors about West since the 1970s, but the details yesterday "fell on all of us like a ton of bricks."

"I am very cautious about believing them. None have ever held up. His responses today do disturb me. He admits going on the Internet chat rooms and admits having physical relationships with other guys."

Apple is among those bothered by the timing of the story.

"These allegations have been around for 30 years. Why are they coming up now? It really gives me concern that there are some puppet strings being pulled, that there were some people who knew about this and used that clout."

Apple said it is interesting that the allegations surfaced just as the council is considering a domestic partners ordinance in the city.

Apple also mentioned the settlement the city reached last week in connection with the River Park Square parking garage, wrapping up a controversy that has divided the city for nearly a decade. The garage serves a downtown mall. The mall owners also have an ownership interest in the company that publishes The Spokesman-Review.

As the Spokane council members said, West's sexuality had been the subject of rumors across the state for years but hadn't been publicized until yesterday's newspaper stories.

Concerning his sexual orientation, West told the Spokane paper, "I wouldn't characterize me as 'gay,' " but didn't distance himself from the term "bisexual."

During a Feb. 26 online conversation published in the Spokesman-Review, West wrote to someone posing as a teenager.

"Remember, Im very closeted. No one knows I like guys. Except the few guys Ive been with and highly trusted," West wrote.

"Its just that the openly gay guys are a little over the top for me. I dont really like the in-your-face attitude some guys have. And the massive political agenda either. I say live and let live. Most gay guys turn me off, too."

The Spokesman-Review said the person posing as the teenager initially indicated he was 17 when the online conversations began and later told West he turned 18 in March.

During his time in the Legislature, West gained a reputation as an effective, fierce parliamentary strategist.

He was also controversial. In 1998, he left a threatening message for a lobbyist after becoming enraged by a newspaper ad a building industry group took out.

In response, he left a message on the answering machine of a leader in that group that said, "You son of a bitch, you better get me, 'cause if you don't, you're dead."

West said he was only being metaphorical, threatening that the group would not receive the support and access it had always enjoyed with West if it didn't lay off.

West was charged with two misdemeanors, received a $250 fine and was put on probation. He also had to donate $500 to charity, pay court costs and apologize.

State Republican Party Chairman Chris Vance said the current scandal would not harm the GOP.

Despite West's own aspirations to run for governor, Vance said that he had not been discussed as a possible contender in 2004 and would not be for the 2008 election.

WHAT THEY'RE SAYING

The Spokesman-Review newspaper published a report yesterday detailing accusations that Spokane Mayor Jim West had molested two boys decades ago and had more recently used his position to try to attract young men on a gay Web site.

Here's what people were saying about the allegations:

"This is not a story about sexual orientation. This is a story about alleged sexual abuse of children and misuse of power and authority."

-- Steven Smith, editor of The Spokesman-Review, in a note to readers in yesterday's newspaper

"That's clearly a misuse of power. The best thing Jim West could do for Spokane and for himself is resign."

-- Lance LeLoup, Washington State University political science professor

"This is between Jim West and the people of Spokane. ... What happens to individuals doesn't reflect the party as a whole."

-- Chris Vance, state Republican Party chairman

"The public's trust is eroded when what elected officials advocate is different from how they conduct their own life."

-- State Senate Majority Leader Lisa Brown, D-Spokane

"The allegations are disturbing, and that's putting it lightly. I can't say I ever saw anything personally to conclude that any of it was true."

-- Sen. Brad Benson, R-Spokane

"It's unfortunate, but I'm glad it's finally out."

-- Kevan Gardner of the Pride Foundation, which supports gays and lesbians

"He was a very strong state senator and a very powerful state senator. ... If indeed he is gay, it's kind of anomalous that he would be so aggressively antagonistic to (gay) civil rights legislation."

-- Phil Talmadge, former Democratic state legislator who served with West in the Senate

"Some people have had some hints about it and some people are very shocked. ... Jim West is a cutthroat politician. He likes power over people -- and over young people."

-- Sen. Pam Roach, R-Auburn, who clashed with West in the Senate

"I don't comment on members' personal lives."

-- Rep. Ed Murray, D-Seattle, one of four openly gay Washington state legislators

P-I reporter Angela Galloway and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
          God I hate when people are Hypocritical, Democrats or Republicans.

Comment

• Steve Savicki
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral The "It's my way, there is no highway option"
            Politics are ugly no matter which way you look at it. Isn't that why we're all here LOL?
            sigpic

Comment

• Angel
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Cathedral
              I always thought Canada and the US were friends.
              One hand washes the other as far as import/export goes.

Both countries would lose greatly if that friendship were to turn to shit.
              It has been turning into shit for a long time. Ever since an idiotic Prime Minister practically sold us out to Reagan. One hand washes the other? You should read up on the softwood lumber dispute, or the Cattle border closing, just too name a couple. Free Trade benefitted only one North American country, and it wasn't Canada or Mexico.
              "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

Working...