Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

And by the way, who cares who wants to get married?

Marriage is supposed to be "between a man and woman?" Well, so are a fuck lot of divorces, custody battles, adultery, etc....

What's the divorce rate now? Over 50% I think? And we're obsessing over what?

Comment

• Dan
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Is it just a piece of paper?
      First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• binnie
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • May 2006

Originally posted by Nitro Express
        I have a big problem with polygammy. My great grandfather was a polygamouse mormon with four wives. I have a copy of his journal. He was not a good man and polygammy is all about control and abuse of women and children.

So I'm not going to say "Oh if it's consensual it's ok to take on another wife." Every country in the world today that allows polygammy is backwards and treats women and children badly.

This raises lots of interesting questions.

From what I've read, your summary of polygammy is very accurate. However, if a woman wants to enter into a polygammous marriage, do we have the right to stop her? If she is aware of the pitfalls, the problems and knows that the man involved might be a complete bastard, and still wishes to marry him, why is it wrong to stop her.

Abuse happens in lots of marriages. Lets take a hypothetical example. A man and woman are set to marry. The man has been married before and is divorced because he used to beat the living shit out of his first wife. The prospective wife is well aware of this, but still loves him (for whatever reason) and wants to marry him. Now the probability here is that he's going to beat the shit out of her too, but can we legally stop the marriage on those grounds? No, because they are consenting adults.

So why should it be any different for polygammists, if everything is consensual.

The logic of the arguement doesn't add up. And yet, like you, I would hate to see polygammy become legal. I can't think of a logical argument against it that could be dismantled, but I still wouldn't like to see if become readily available. Maybe I want to protect people from themselves? Or maybe I'm too narrow-minded?

I don't know, but the whole area is very interesting.
        The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

Shit, when I said "could be dismnatled" I meant "couldn't be"
          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• knuckleboner
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

In my personal oppinion gays don't need marriage and if we give it to them, we open pandora's box because people will say, hey, the gays have marriage so I want polygammy.

i don't think that would be the case.

we don't currently allow polygamous marriages because of public policy. it screws with the non-will deaths, and divorce property settlements and child custody hearings and power of attorney, etc. yes, we could change that by also changing those laws, but it still makes it much more complicated for our legal system.

on the other hand, we don't currently allow gay marriage because we think it's icky. that's it. (some people will try to argue the reason is because it's immoral. but that same morality should then also be arguing against legalizing divorce, but you don't hear anybody talking about that.)

allowing gay marriage is really just saying that the same laws that currently apply to a consenting man and a consenting woman will now apply to any 2 consenting people. but the the rights and restrictions that come with a legal marriage are not changed at all.

Comment

• EAT MY ASSHOLE
              Veteran
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
              I wonder which one is the bitch, but I'm betting they switch on and off...
              Nah, BBB is the bitch. Warham was a good guy.
              RIM ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Dan
                Is it just a piece of paper?
                Are you addressing me?

Well, apparently, it is too a lot of people, including so-called "conservatives" that I've known to cheat on their wives or than have had multiple divorces, yet freely pass judgement on others.

I find this to be a tad misguided and hypocritical. So yes, to many people in practice it is a piece of paper, until the gays become involved and it turns into some fucking circus sideshow of phony-moralism...

What it is to me is a basic human rights issue in regards to allowing gays the same control over their property as the rest of us.

And everyone remember to hug their latch key kids tonight...
                Last edited by Nickdfresh; 06-29-2007, 06:09 PM.

Comment

• Dan
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Are you addressing me?

Well, apparently, it is too a lot of people, including so-called "conservatives" that I've known to cheat on their wives or than have had multiple divorces, yet freely pass judgement on others.

I find this to be a tad misguided and hypocritical. So yes, to many people in practice it is a piece of paper, until the gays become involved and it turns into some fucking circus sideshow of phony-moralism...

What it is to me is a basic human rights issue in regards to allowing gays the same control over their property as the rest of us.

And everyone remember to hug their latch key kids tonight...
                  It was for anyone to answer.
                  First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Interesting thread....mostly stupid responses from the left, as usual.

I've been out of town off and on for three weeks now and people still seem to need to mention my name...

BTW fags...keep me out of your faggot fantasies. FORD and matt19, that means you.

Anyhow, gays should not have the right to be married anymore than polygamists or sheep-fuckers (Nick, that means you and EMA) should.

Marriage is a solemn vow between a man and a woman...period.

DizzyBlond777, I'm stunned. Your ignorance abounds!

You seem to have a bias against people of faith. What moral compass do you use to determine right from wrong? Is it just the right-wing Christians you have an argument with or do the left-wing Southern Baptists get your cootchie wet also? Try to answer with a little intelligence this time, OK? Loves and kisses, BBB

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                      I've been out of town off and on for three weeks now and people still seem to need to mention my name.
                      What were you in jail for?

Your name came up for no other reasons than your notorious stupidity and general reputation as a complete hypocrite.

BTW fags...keep me out of your faggot fantasies. FORD and matt19, that means you.
                      Does this mean that you are the only one that gets to have "faggot fantasies"?

DizzyBlond777, I'm stunned. Your ignorance abounds!

You seem to have a bias against people of faith.

Probably just a bias against hate filled fake Christian control freaks like you.

What moral compass do you use to determine right from wrong?

Adults use common sense. You use Sunday school stories. (Neil Peart wants his words back.)

Is it just the right-wing Christians you have an argument with or do the left-wing Southern Baptists get your cootchie wet also?

Nice demonstration of your "faith." Where is your "moral compass" pointing when you make statements like that?
                      Last edited by DEMON CUNT; 06-30-2007, 11:15 AM.
                      Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• DEMON CUNT
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Nov 2004

Anyhow, gays should not have the right to be married anymore than polygamists or sheep-fuckers (Nick, that means you and EMA) should.

Marriage is a solemn vow between a man and a woman...period.
                        Did you copy paste that from one of Haggard's many sermons on the subject?

Banned 01/09/09 | Avatar | Aiken | Spammy | Extreme | Pump | Regular | The View | Toot

Comment

• Unchainme
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Apr 2005

Bigblandbrian is a closet case!

Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• blonddgirl777
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

...DizzyBlond777, I'm stunned. Your ignorance abounds!...
                            Ignorance of WHAT? (talking about Gay Mariage)... You idiot!

Shut the fuck up and keep on blowing Dubya in my closet...
                            Just stop trying to fit into my stilettos... your 2 left feet are too big!
                            http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...oman-movie.jpg
                            ... What erases the linger of horniness more than Al Quaida? Then blondegirl can post some new hot dudes and stir a new wave of horniness...
                            Originally posted by Jérôme Frenchise
                            [B]... Cooking, I mean Cooking, is men's field...
                            http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e9...i_triangle.jpg
                            Originally posted by VanHalener
                            ... Fight the Good Fight and Win!...
                            Originally posted by FORD
                            ... And let's face it, if mothers (except Chelsea Clinton's) ruled this world, there would be no goddamned war in the first place...

Comment

• blonddgirl777
                              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

Originally posted by Unchainme
                              Bigblandbrian is a closet case!

I told ya!
                              Then.... it's SOOOOO obvious
                              ... What erases the linger of horniness more than Al Quaida? Then blondegirl can post some new hot dudes and stir a new wave of horniness...
                              ... And let's face it, if mothers (except Chelsea Clinton's) ruled this world, there would be no goddamned war in the first place...

Comment

• blonddgirl777
                                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2005

...What it is to me is a basic human rights issue...
                                If only that country would count less closed minded hillbillies "Big Bad Bastard" that have nothing else to do than to try and control everyone around!

Those control freaks are usually the ones that have no control over their own lives...

Sad but true!

Comment

Working...