Killer, Coward, Con-man Good Riddance, Gipper ...more Proof Only The Good Die Young

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John Ashcroft
    Veteran
    • Jan 2004

But wait! There's more!

Who doesn't like Reagan?
    Some critics silent, others can't hide venom

While some long-time critics of President Ronald Reagan stifled their inclination to criticize the dead, others launched the kind of venomous attacks that marked his long career in politics.

Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi said yesterday he regretted Reagan died without ever standing trial for 1986 air strikes he ordered that killed the Libyan president's adopted daughter and 36 other people.

Ronald Reagan ordered the April 15, 1986, air raid in response to a discotheque bombing in Berlin allegedly ordered by Khadafy that killed two U.S. soldiers and a Turkish woman and injured 229 people.

"I express my deep regret because Reagan died before facing justice for his ugly crime that he committed in 1986 against the Libyan children," Libya's official Jana news agency quoted Gadhafi as saying.

Stateside, the verbal attacks were just as vicious.

Ed Weathers, a writer for the Memphis Flyer, had this to say: "Forgive me, but I am about to speak ill of the dead.

"In the coming months, the Republican propaganda machine will shift into high gear. Their goal: to turn Ronald Reagan into a saint. Just watch. First will come the coffin in the Capitol rotunda. Then there will be a proposal to put Reagan’s face on the dollar coin. Next will come a demand that his statue appear on the Washington Mall. And at the Republican Convention in September – oh, just wait. The highlight of that week will be a long, elegiac video of Saint Ronald, with moving music, snippets of favorite speeches, and the voiceover of, say, Charlton Heston. When the video ends, there will be heard the rapturous cheers of the faithful.

"Then George W. Bush will try to ride Ronald Reagan’s coffin back into the White House.

"For that reason, it is necessary now to speak ill of the dead.

"As president, Ronald Reagan was a mediocrity. He has left no legacy. He did not change the world in any significantly good way. His greatest achievement was to win a war with Grenada. He ran for president blaming Jimmy Carter for high gas prices and for letting Americans be taken hostage in Iran – both situations that no American president could have prevented.”

Trevor Royle of the Sunday Herald in Scotland offered this assessment: "Reagan remained an actor, not a doer.

"Perhaps because he saw himself as a patriot, a Forrest Gump before his time, he allied himself with the McCarthy faction and joined those Hollywood bigots who lined themselves up against anything that smacked of communism and the perils of the Soviet Union at the height of the Cold War in the early 1950s," wrote Royle. "It was unworthy of him and unworthy of the country at the time, but it marked him and had he not entered politics he could have ended up a bad actor who chose bad politics."

David Swanson, media coordinator for the International Labor Communications Association, wrote this for AlterNet.org: "Reagan is also the source of many of the relationships in Iran and Iraq that have troubled the United States since. Kevin Phillips' recent book 'American Dynasty' does a good job of summarizing the strong evidence that Bill Casey and George H.W. Bush made a deal with the Iranians not to release the hostages until after the 1980 U.S. presidential election. This would mean that Reagan's election was illegal, that the trading during the Iran-Contra scandal had a precedent, that Reagan and G.H.W. Bush's buildup of Saddam Hussein's military was motivated in part by a desire to counter weaponry and money that the United States had given Iran in exchange for Reagan's election, that our media has completely fallen down on the job, and that we're all a bunch of suckers."

AlterNet.org also republished a short piece by David Corn of the Nation titled "66 Unflattering Things About Ronald Reagan."

Counterpunch.org published a piece by Phil Gasper called "Ronald Reagan, 1911-2004: Goodbye and Good Riddance."

"Ronald Reagan has finally died at age 93," Gasper wrote. "Predictably, politicians from both major parties have issued gushing tributes to this venal and vicious man, who was happy to slash workers' wages, see families thrown onto the street, support sadistic death squads and bomb other countries, if this was in the interests of the American ruling class."

Blogger Steve Gilliard, in a piece reprinted by the European Bellaciao.org, had this to say: "The hagiography started as soon as they announced Reagan's death. How he ended the Cold War, how he was a decisive leader, all this nonsense about Reagan which is just ridiculous.

"The British have a tradition: When someone dies, their newspaper obituary tells the truth. Americans like to say something kind about the dead, no matter how scummy they were," wrote Gilliard. "Even Nixon got a halo in death, where only Hunter Thompson reminded people of who exactly he was and how the honors given him were, well, wrong. This deification of Reagan began as soon as Clinton took office. There has been pressure to name everything but rest stop toilets after the man."

DemocraticUnderground.com seemed to regret not having enough time to come up with a suitable obituary for Reagan.

"If you're looking for stories about Ronald Reagan in this week's edition, he 'ended communication' a little too close to our deadline. Tune in next week for coverage of the fallout of St. Ronald's passing."

Axisoflogic.com published a commentary by Greg Palast, who wrote: "You're not going to like this. You shouldn't speak ill of the dead. But in this case, someone's got to. Ronald Reagan was a conman. Reagan was a coward. Reagan was a killer."

And Joe Davidson, a columnist for BET.com, the website of Black Entertainment Television, wrote: "It's customary to say good things about the dead. Ronald Reagan appointed the first woman to the Supreme Court. He signed legislation for a national holiday honoring Martin Luther King. He thawed relations with the Soviet Union and signed a nuclear weapons treaty. He was warm and amiable and had a good sense of humor. He liked horses.

"Now let's talk about what he did to black people."

Davidson went on to claim that "after taking office in 1981, Reagan began a sustained attack on the government's civil rights apparatus, opened an assault on affirmative action and social welfare programs, embraced the white racist leaders of then-apartheid South Africa and waged war on a tiny, Black Caribbean nation. So thorough was Reagan's attack on programs of importance to African Americans, that the Citizens Commission on Civil Rights, an organization formed in the wake of Reagan’s attempt to neuter the official U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, said he caused 'an across-the-board breakdown in the machinery constructed by six previous administrations to protect civil rights.'

"During his two terms in office, Reagan captured, solidified and came to personify America's move to the political right," he wrote. "His greatest legacy is as leader of that swing in the American political spectrum. That shift made 'liberal' a dirty word and Democrats cower. What had been conservative became moderate. What was moderate was pushed to the left wing. The shift was so pronounced and profound that black America giddily embraced Bill Clinton despite his promotion of programs, criminal justice and welfare policies in particular, that would have been called racist and reactionary under Reagan."

Link: here

Comment

• DaveIsKing
      Veteran
      • Mar 2004

FACT: Crime rate is higher among minorities.
      FACT: Blacks commit sixteen times more attacks on Whites than reverse.
      FACT: Whites made Blacks slaves in the 1800s.
      FACT: Muslims attacked Spain in the 1500s.
      FACT: Jews wiped out the Middianites in the Old Testament times, and raped their women.
      FACT: Hitler killed millions of Jews.
      FACT: Stalin killed millions of Russians.
      FACT: Liberals support partial-birth abortion killing millions are fully-developed babies.
      FACT: Africans have tortured and sold slaves long before the Europeans came to their continent.
      FACT: Europeans invented almost every form of usable technology.
      FACT: Slavery, torture and genocide has been prevalent in EVERY generation and EVERY culture.
      FACT: White American Males ended slavery.
      FACT: Abraham Lincoln helped to FREE the slaves.
      FACT: European Nations and America fought for FOREIGN SLAVES' rights.
      FACT: NO foreign Third World nation has ever fought for FOREIGN EUROPEAN rights!
      FACT: Liberals hate FACTS.
      PROPERTY OF DaveIsKing©

YOUR GIRLFRIEND = OWNED

Comment

• Ally_Kat
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2004

the man isn't even cold yet in his grave

*sigh*

I hate Hillary with a passion, but when she goes I'll at least have the decency to keep quiet for a few days.
        Roth Army Militia

Comment

• lucky wilbury

it's amazing that the only people who don't like reagan are communists and terrorists.

Comment

• JCOOK

HEY STUPID WHERE DID LEARN YOUR HISTORY, IRAN WAS SO FUCKING SCARED OF WHAT REAGAN WOULD DO THATS' WHY THEY RELEASED THE HOSTAGES. YOU COMMIE BASTARDS LOVE TO DO NOTHING BUT KNOCK THE COUNTRY YOU LIVE IN WHICH IS YOUR
            GOD "I KNOW YOU HATE THAT TERM" GIVEN RIGHT. UNTIL YOU HAVE TAKEN A BULLETT FOR THIS FREEDOM WE HAVE WHY DONT' YOU GO SUCK A RATS' ASS

Comment

• Ally_Kat
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DaveIsKing

FACT: Whites made Blacks slaves in the 1800s.
              Blacks helped make their race slaves, too. The majority of those sold as slaves were sent by tribes within the Africa because they had been convicted of a crime. Such a sentence was deemed worse than death.
              Roth Army Militia

Comment

• lucky wilbury

who loves Reagan? America loves reagan

Comment

• DaveIsKing
                  Veteran
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Ally_Kat
                  Blacks helped make their race slaves, too. The majority of those sold as slaves were sent by tribes within the Africa because they had been convicted of a crime. Such a sentence was deemed worse than death.
                  I already mentioned that. Read it again.
                  PROPERTY OF DaveIsKing©

YOUR GIRLFRIEND = OWNED

Comment

• DaveIsKing
                    Veteran
                    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by John Ashcroft
                    [B]But wait! There's more!

"As president, Ronald Reagan was a mediocrity. He has left no legacy. He did not change the world in any significantly good way.
                    Damn, I guess those Russians are still Soviets and they still own half of Europe. Man, have they got the wool pulled over our eyes.

I guess they have invisible guards standing beside the invisible Berlin Wall. Waiting for invisible people to cross over from Communist East Germany to Democratic West Germany.

Hey FORD, here's another conspiracy train you can hobo.
                    PROPERTY OF DaveIsKing©

YOUR GIRLFRIEND = OWNED

Comment

• FORD
                      ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I've been holding back my criticism of Reagan out of respect for the Presidency, if not for the man himself. After all, at least he was elected. Twice even, and I'm still trying to figure that one out.

But let's face it, the Reagan myth is mostly bullshit. Reagan wasn't that popular at the end of his term. His 49 state landslide in 84 was more to do with the fact that Mondale bored the shit out of everyone than anything about Reagan himself. I voted for Mondale, but I knew he wouldn't win

Not to mention the sexist "Democrats" who voted against him just for having Ferrarro on the ticket.

Reagan lowered the bar to the point where Presidential candidates no longer had to be actually qualified for the job. And that set the stage for the godawful mess we're in right now.

And for that alone, the myth cannot be allowed to stand.
                      Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• JCOOK

THERE IS STILL A LOT OF SLAVERY IN AFRICAN COUNTRIES TODAY.
                        BUT I GUESS THATS O.K. SINCE WHITEY ISN'T DOING THE BUYING OR SELLING.

Comment

• Ally_Kat
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DaveIsKing
                          I already mentioned that. Read it again.
                          ack, sorry. I'm not quite myself today. Sorry hun, I musta skipped that line.
                          Roth Army Militia

Comment

• John Ashcroft
                            Veteran
                            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Ally_Kat
                            the man isn't even cold yet in his grave

*sigh*

I hate Hillary with a passion, but when she goes I'll at least have the decency to keep quiet for a few days.
                            You've got it darlin' That's the point of me posting this garbage here. These assholes are so ate up with hate, that they can't even be decent for more than a day or two. They are so driven by the reaquisition of their power that they are literally blind to everything else. They don't even realize that it's behavior like this that's driving voters away from their ideology in droves.

Really now, you tell me what normal American will listen to shit like this about a person, not just an popular ex-President mind you, and not be turned off. Way to bring people around to your side of the aisle you silly fucking liberal clowns!

Last I checked, you're losing voters and elections, not gaining them... Do you really believe that behavior like this is going to sway voters to your side??? Hell, look at Air America for the answer.

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by JCOOK
                              HEY STUPID WHERE DID LEARN YOUR HISTORY, IRAN WAS SO FUCKING SCARED OF WHAT REAGAN WOULD DO THATS' WHY THEY RELEASED THE HOSTAGES. YOU COMMIE BASTARDS LOVE TO DO NOTHING BUT KNOCK THE COUNTRY YOU LIVE IN WHICH IS YOUR
                              GOD "I KNOW YOU HATE THAT TERM" GIVEN RIGHT. UNTIL YOU HAVE TAKEN A BULLETT FOR THIS FREEDOM WE HAVE WHY DONT' YOU GO SUCK A RATS' ASS
                              You're a fucking idiot. The Iranians were going to release the hostages in October 1980. George Bush Sr met with Iranian leaders in Paris and got them to extend the "hostage crisis" until after the election, with the promise of weapons deals, should Reagan/Bush win the election. The deal became known as "October Surprise" and it set the stage for the ILLEGAL AND TREASONOUS Iran Contra scandal that followed.
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• DaveIsKing
                                Veteran
                                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by JCOOK
                                THERE IS STILL A LOT OF SLAVERY IN AFRICAN COUNTRIES TODAY.
                                BUT I GUESS THATS O.K. SINCE WHITEY ISN'T DOING THE BUYING OR SELLING.
                                Libbies have a tendency to OVERLOOK certain things. If it doesn't BENEFIT their AGENDA.
                                PROPERTY OF DaveIsKing©

YOUR GIRLFRIEND = OWNED

Comment

Working...