• LoungeMachine
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jul 2004

US Debt at Record $9 Trillion

US debt tops $9 trillion for first time-Treasury
    Reuters - 18 hours ago
    National Debt at Record $9 Trillion
    By MARTIN CRUTSINGER – 18 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The national debt has hit $9 trillion for the first time.

The Treasury Department, which issues a daily accounting of the debt, said Wednesday that the debt subject to limit was at $9 trillion on Tuesday. It was $8.996 trillion on Monday.

Last month, Congress passed and President Bush signed into law an increase in the government's borrowing ceiling to $9.815 trillion. It was the fifth debt limit increase since Bush took office in January 2001. Those increases have totaled $3.865 trillion.

The administration contends the rising debt reflects such factors as slow economic growth during the 2001 recession, the Sept. 11 attacks and the cost of fighting terrorism.

Democrats place much of the blame for the exploding debt on Bush's first-term tax cuts, which they say are tilted to the wealthy. The administration says those tax cuts helped to jump-start the economy and resulted in falling budget deficits in recent years.

The tax cuts are set to expire at the end of 2010. The administration and Republicans in Congress want to see them made permanent; many Democrats would like to see them revamped to provide more benefits to lower and middle-income taxpayers.

The budget deficit for the 2007 budget year, which ended Sept. 30, was $162.8 billion, the lowest in five years.

In 2004, the deficit was $413 billion, a record in dollar terms.

The national debt is the total of the annual budget deficits plus money that the government borrows from the Social Security and other government trust funds.

The total national debt is actually higher than $9 trillion because it includes borrowing by some agencies that are not covered by the congressional debt limit. That total was $9.086 trillion on Tuesday.

It took the country from George Washington until Ronald Reagan to reach the first $1 trillion in debt.

Originally posted by Kristy
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Originally posted by cadaverdog
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?
  • scamper
    Commando
    • May 2005

This sucks ass

Comment

• LoungeMachine
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jul 2004

Well put.

1992 - 2000 looking pretty good about now, eh?

Comment

• WACF
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jan 2004

How the hell do you pay that off?

It would take years(decades) just to help lower interest payments enough to have extra money available every budget.

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

I've been on this planet for 42 fucking years. Most of those 42 the US has been sinking into more and more debt. It's been a steady slide into the abyss since 1972.
          No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by WACF

It would take years(decades) just to help lower interest payments enough to have extra money available every budget.
            We could try taxing the fucking oil companies...

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by WACF

You don't. You tottaly crash the fucker since it's almost worthless anyways. The rich who run the world have the lions share of their assets invested out of the dollar anyways and what these people want is raw resources because that is what the world wants right now and the prices will go higher. Oil being the most popular.

Now China and Europe both need that Middle East oil. They are going to fight for it. Europe doesn't have a big enough military machine and China is becoming stronger and stronger every year.

What you do, is you buy a military machine by buying the US Presidency. If you do some research on the Bush Administration, it's the old NATO guard backing it. They want the North American Union tied in with the European Union. They want to control the Persian Gulf oil flow.

As far as the US Dollar and the US goes, these people could care less. The Chinese hold lion's share of the US Dollars so just let it crash, the resulting desperation will allow the Amero and the North American Union to come into play. The currency is being printed right now in the Denver mint and it's only a matter of time before we bomb Iran.

I figure it will be in December since the US rules the night and the nights will be long. The Dollar is unsavable and those in charge know more than anybody.

Comment

• knuckleboner
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Jan 2004

it's actually not that hard to retire the debt. although, yes, at a minimum it will take decades to do. but that's by design. just like a home mortgage, most bonds the government sells (that's how we borrow money) have long-term repayment schedules.

we currently have the funds to pay off the interest/repayments for outstanding bonds that come due each year. the problem is that we are also currently adding to that debt each year by running constant budget deficits.

however, if we were to go through another period of extended balanced budgets, the debt would begin to shrink.

the debt, itself, is not the problem. it's the deficit trends.

Comment

• WACF
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Jan 2004

Yes...a deficit budget is not going to help one bit.

A balanced budget on the other hand...without extra payments on the debt to reduce interest payments is a slow process...your kids won't even see it paid off.

Last edited by WACF; 11-09-2007, 01:09 AM.

Comment

• WACF
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                    We could try taxing the fucking oil companies...
                    You don't?

Comment

• Blackflag
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2006

"Well Done Republicans..."

I wonder when people will wise up and stop the 'my team is the good guys' bullshit? Until then, there will never be any accountability.

You know I have no love lost for Bush. But tell me - who approves the budget? Who approves the special appropriations? Who approved the last $80 billion?

Can't be your beloved democrats, because we need to vote them in next time, right? Baa. Baa.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Blackflag
                        "Well Done Republicans..."

I wonder when people will wise up and stop the 'my team is the good guys' bullshit? Until then, there will never be any accountability.

You know I have no love lost for Bush. But tell me - who approves the budget? Who approves the special appropriations? Who approved the last $80 billion?

Can't be your beloved democrats, because we need to vote them in next time, right? Baa. Baa.

We want to spend on infrastructure like Levees and bridges.

They want to send billions to the offshore accounts of Halliburton and Blackwater

And you're comparing the last YEAR to the previous 6 under Bush, and 6 under Clinton ????????

Give me a break.

No, you're right.

We should wait to vote in 51 Independents.

In the meantime, those small government fiscal consoervative Republicans will do just fine.

Sometimes it's YOU who has a cartoonish view of the world.

No love lost for Bush?

whatever.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jul 2004

I love that we have Black Flag to come in and give us all civics 101

Gee, Mr. Wizard, I dunno..

Who approves budgets?

While you're here can you tell us how the term Free Booter became today's Filibuster?

Comment

• Blackflag
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by LoungeMachine

And you're comparing the last YEAR to the previous 6 under Bush, and 6 under Clinton ????????
                            Remind me...what were the number of democrat votes on the budgets in the previous 6 years?

How did the democrats vote on the AUMF?

And how do you think the spending levels were during the Clinton years? Just to set the record straight in this Clinton love-fest: the reason for the economic success was simply the strength of the economy. A clown could have run that economy and come out on top. Indeed, it was his lack of action helped the economy the most.

Or is your point that your beautiful democratic congress has "only" had one year to do its job? Yeah, Lounge...maybe next year they'll stop the flow of money. Or maybe the year after that..?

Originally posted by LoungeMachine
                            give us all civics 101
                            My point is not to give this forum its badly needed political science, economics, or law lessons.

My point is that there are not two teams, like you so desperately want to believe.

There is one team - and you're not on it. You'll never be on it. You're just another of the faceless douchebags financing it and cheering it on.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by knuckleboner
                              it's actually not that hard to retire the debt. although, yes, at a minimum it will take decades to do. but that's by design. just like a home mortgage, most bonds the government sells (that's how we borrow money) have long-term repayment schedules.

we currently have the funds to pay off the interest/repayments for outstanding bonds that come due each year. the problem is that we are also currently adding to that debt each year by running constant budget deficits.

however, if we were to go through another period of extended balanced budgets, the debt would begin to shrink.

the debt, itself, is not the problem. it's the deficit trends.
                              The money itself is all illusion so it's what magic trick or to use a David Copperfield term "illusion" you can get away with. When the dollar was backed by silver and gold commodities, no more notes could be issued than there was gold or silver in the reserves to back it up. The value of the money was determined by the world commodity markets.

With the Federal Reserve and deficite spending, the value of the money is determined by the Fedral Reserve manipulation. Hell, the whole banking system is bullshit now. With Merrill Lynch and Chase bundling sub prime loans into bonds and selling them grade A to investors, it hard to top that on the bullshit scale.

It's all IMAGE folks and we aren't going to pay back shit. We are going to stick China will bad dollars and merge with the European Union. That's the big plan. The new currency will just need to be promoted by some big name celebrities telling Joe Six Pack how wonderful it is and we tie it to the Euro. Then we can start running up new debts. It's funny money backed by no government or commodities. It's simply printed by a private central banking system that has been playing the game for 300 years. Google Rothschilds if you want to know more.

Comment

Working...