• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nickdfresh
    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
    Of course...

You said Al-Qaeda. The article you posted talks about Taliban and insurgents. Which is it ??
    Which came first, the chicken of the egg?

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

You mean when did the "brand name" Al-Qaeda come about ??

Late 80's I think...

The Taliban which is a Sunni Islamist political movement (at least I can define what it is) that came about in the 90's...

Neither chicken or egg...

Comment

• Blackflag
        Banned
        • Apr 2006

Don't distract him with logic... I'm still waiting for him to tell me what we "won" in Afghanistan.
        Last edited by Blackflag; 07-07-2009, 12:40 AM.

Comment

• Blackflag
          Banned
          • Apr 2006

And, this doesn't have anything to do with the topic...I just really like the picture:

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Blackflag
            And, this doesn't have anything to do with the topic...I just really like the picture:

That would be the running theme of about 90% of your posts...

Don't distract him with logic... I'm still waiting for him to tell me what we "won" in Afghanistan.
            And I'm still waiting for you to stop pissing yourself with fake statistics, strawman arguments, and argumentum ad hominem...

Comment

• hideyoursheep
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2007

You were busted for prostitution again?

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                I don't think you understand the climate change argument never mind the proof.
                Proof of what, exactly ??

And I do understand the argument...Among the many sources of CO2production, humans exhale it and plants use it to produce Oxygen through photosynthesis...and I know this a simplification, but it's to make the following points...

There's a part of the argument thats gaining some traction in the scientific community, and that is - one of the best-kept secrets in the global warming debate is that the plant life of the planet would benefit greatly from a higher level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere...

There is a lot of scientific evidence that shows that if CO2 were to rise above its current ambient level of 360 parts per million, most plants would grow faster and larger because of more efficient photosynthesis and a reduction in water loss. There would also be many other benefits for plants, among them greater resistance to temperature extremes and other forms of stress, better growth at low light intensities, improved root/top ratios, less injury from air pollutants, and more nutrients in the soil as a result of more extensive nitrogen fixation...

In addition...

Greenhouse farmers have been adding carbon dioxide to their greenhouses to raise the yields of vegetables, flowers, and ornamental plants. And for decades, it has been well known among botanists, biochemists, agriculturalists, and foresters that a shortage of carbon dioxide is the most common limiting factor preventing photosynthesis from proceeding more efficiently...

So, my point is that an increase in CO2 results in greener, healthier, faster growing crops with a high and consistant...

Peace!

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Did you see this in a recent peer reviewed journal?

Because it was disproved back in 2002 by a big study at Stanford.

Climate change surprise: High carbon dioxide levels can retard plant growth, study reveals : 12/02

"Most studies have looked at the effects of CO2 on plants in pots or on very simple ecosystems and concluded that plants are going to grow faster in the future," said Field, co-author of the Science study. "We got exactly the same results when we applied CO2 alone, but when we factored in realistic treatments -- warming, changes in nitrogen deposition, changes in precipitation -- growth was actually suppressed."
                  Anyway does it matter if the cacti in the new deserts of Lousiana grow a little bigger?

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                    Anyway does it matter if the cacti in the new deserts of Lousiana grow a little bigger?
                    Yes, because it's a source of healthy water for many animals...

And, yes I read it from different reports and papers. Two of which I had saved and read several times...but the paper you tried to debunk it with could also be used to argue against "climate change" in general...

How about ice core samples Antarctica ??

Comment

• letsrock
                      Veteran
                      • Mar 2007

what does the red, green and blue represent?

Comment

• Seshmeister
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

420,000 years of atmospheric history revealed by the Vostok ice core, Antarctica.

Paris, June 3, 1999

French, Russian and American researchers have measured the temperature, the aerosol and greenhouse gas concentration and various other climate and environmental parameters over the last four climate cycles. The results confirm the idea that climate variations are caused by the Earth’s orbital changes and to a large extent amplified by greenhouse gases. The high concentrations of greenhouse gases, unprecedented in the past 420,000 years, underscore their role in the possible warming of the planet’s climate. This study was published in Nature by 19 researchers from three participating countries. They include thirteen glaciologists and climatologists from CNRS laboratories in Grenoble and the joint CEA-CNRS unit in Saclay (1).

The 3,623 meters of ice core bored in Vostok, Antarctica, are the result of a 10-year collaboration between Russia, France and the United States (2). The Vostok site is considered one of the least hospitable on Earth, since its altitude is 3,500 meters and its average yearly temperature is minus 55° C.
                        The analysis of this ice core provides a record of the atmosphere during the last four climatic cycles. For the first time, researchers were able to establish, over such a long period, a simultaneous record of temperature variations, carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4) and oxygen proportions in the atmosphere, of the quantity of dust blown from the desert and aerosols from sea spray.
                        The climate and environment parameters show the existence of four major cycles, with a periodicity of 100,000, 40,000 and 20,000 years. During the four cycles, the atmospheric characteristics varied within rather stable limits, with a temperature amplitude variation in Antarctica of about 12°C at land level and 8°C in the troposphere. Between cold and hot periods, the greenhouse gas concentrations in the global atmosphere varied between 180 (ppmv (parts per million in volume) and 280 ppmv for carbon dioxide, and between 350 ppbv (parts per billion in volume) and 700 ppbv for CH4.
                        According to these findings, the greenhouse gas concentrations are correlated to the Antarctic temperature over the entire period under study, which confirms previous observations made for the last 150,000 years. This link also appears during the warmest interglacial periods, when greenhouse gas concentrations were at their highest (300 ppmv of CO2 and 750 ppbv of CH4). These values are nevertheless far below the level of present concentrations — 360 ppmv of CO2 and 1,700 ppbv of CH4. Such levels are unprecedented during the past 420,000 years.
                        Each of the four large glaciation periods was followed by a transitional interglacial period, towards the years – 310,000, -240,00, -135,000 and –15,000. The end of the glacial period was usually the coldest, and the transition towards a warmer climate took 5 to 10,000 years. In each of the four transitional periods, according to the analysis of the ice samples, the same sequence of events took place: the increase in the concentration of greenhouse gases (CO2 and CH4) was almost immediately (more or less 1,000 years) followed by the warming of the upper southern latitudes. And only several thousand years later, the Northern hemisphere warmed up and the ice caps that had formed massively merged. These findings show how the climate transmission system between the two hemispheres worked, and will serve as a basis for climate modelling systems.
                        The climate cycles, just as those observed for marine sediments, show the impact of the changes, however slight, in the Earth’s orbit on climate variations. But yet more has been discovered. Our warm period, which began 11,000 years ago, seems to be longest ever in 420,000 years. The sunshine variations are not significant enough to explain the amplitude of the observed climate changes. These findings confirm the idea, suggested a decade ago, that greenhouse gases, by amplifying the variations initiated by the orbital variations of the Earth, were also responsible for the glacial/interglacial changes. The actual mechanisms still remain to be determined.

(1) Climate and Atmospheric History of the past 420,000 years from the Vostok Ice Core, Antarctica, by Petit J.R., Jouzel J., Raynaud D., Barkov N.I., Barnola J.M., Basile I., Bender M., Chappellaz J., Davis J. Delaygue G., Delmotte M. Kotlyakov V.M., Legrand M., Lipenkov V.M., Lorius C., Pépin L., Ritz C., Saltzman E., Stievenard M., Nature, 3 June 1999.

(2) The project is supported by the Russian Ministry of Sciences, and in the United States, by the Office of Polar Programs of the NSF. In France, the project is coordinated by the Laboratoire de Glaciologie et Géophysique de l’Environnement du CNRS and carried out in the framework of a close collaboration between the CNRS/INSU, the CEA/DSM and the Institut français de recherche et technologie polaire in Brest. It is also supported by the National Programme for the study of climate dynamics of the European Commission, the Fondation de France, the Rhônes-Alpes region and the J. Fourrier University in Grenoble.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by letsrock
                          what does the red, green and blue represent?
                          Don't ask Elvis questions - he just posts this shit, he doesn't understand it!

Comment

• ELVIS
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                            Don't ask Elvis questions - he just posts this shit, he doesn't understand it!
                            I left it out by accident...

Comment

• ELVIS
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ELVIS
                              Yes, because it's a source of healthy water for many animals...

And, yes I read it from different reports and papers. Two of which I had saved and read several times...but the paper you tried to debunk it with could also be used to argue against "climate change" in general...

How about ice core samples Antarctica ??

CO2 (Green graph)

Temperature (Blue graph),

Dust concentration (Red graph)

Satisfied ??

Comment

• Blackflag
                                Banned
                                • Apr 2006

I can't believe you douchebags needed somebody to explain that to you.

Comment

Working...