Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blaze
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Trying to make sense of the violence and upheaval in Egypt? Take 51 seconds and have it explained to you by Juju, a precocious 8-year-old Saudi girl.

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
    sigpic

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

The police officers are doing that so they don't get killed. lol

I can sum up the whole Egypt-Tunisia-Yemen-and anywhere else thing real simply........People want to be free.
      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Target number one is always the media and press. The shooting begins at the television station before the shooting happens at the presidential palace. I think the internet scares the hell out of people who abuse power. You don't know anything has been organized until the wave hits you.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by sadaist

I can sum up the whole Egypt-Tunisia-Yemen-and anywhere else thing real simply........People want to be free.
          It's the economy. This is only the begining. Corporations, banks, and governments went broke and then charged the losses to a credit card the public is expected to pay with increasing food, tax and fuel prices with job loses. People are finding out they basically got screwed and the politician happy talk is wearing thin. This just isn't a middle east thing. We will see it go down in the US in the next year or two. Europe is already showing signs of people getting fed up.

Comment

• Nitro Express
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Once the government turns to chaos everyone with a gun can be a policeman.

Comment

• sadaist
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
              the internet scares the hell out of people who abuse power.

Probably why EVH doesn't embrace it.
              “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Blaze
                Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Please Share this post with your friends

Change.org members in Egypt are asking all of us to support them.

Late on Saturday night, two pro-Democracy activists -- a young man and a young woman who've asked that we not use their names out of fear of imprisonment and torture -- started a petition on Change.org, dictating the text to an ally over a phone line because the government has shut down the internet throughout the country.

These Egyptians -- activists participating in what is being called the "January 25 Movement" -- believe we're at a possible tipping point within the country. The Egyptian army has is siding with the protesters, the President has already been forced to dismiss his entire cabinet, and there are unconfirmed reports that some members of the ruling family are leaving the country.

These Egyptian activists believe that a flood of international support right now can help to change the course of Egypt's history for decades to come.

This is extremely urgent -- please don't wait to take action. Click here now to add your name to this critical petition for democracy started by these two Egyptian activists on behalf of the January 25 Movement:

Thanks for taking action today,

Patrick and the Change.org Team

P.S. Here's the text of the petition: (You can see the original version in Arabic here.)

On January 25, we the people of Egypt took to the streets to demand our rights!

We are not unified by one party, class or religion: we are not Muslim and we are not Christian, we are not rich and we are not poor - we are the multifaceted people of Egypt - Muslims and Christians and Egyptians of all classes.

We demand our civil, political and human rights.

We demand the immediate resignation of the president and parliament.

We demand a new constitution.

We demand free and fair elections.

We demand the complete and total release of all political prisoners and detainees.

We demand the return of open access to all communication networks.

We demand that the police stop shooting at us, stop their brutality and stop their attacks on journalists.

We are the January 25 movement, and we are not going to stop until our demands are met!

We call on Egyptians and our international supporters to sign this petition of support, which will be sent to Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, officials in the interior and foreign ministries, and Egyptian embassies all over the world.

Add your name:

"I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
                sigpic

Comment

• Switch84
                  Veteran
                  • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ashstralia
                  egypt updates it's facebook status to 'it's complicated'.
                  Yeah, no SHIT...
                  "He doesn't need to sell millions of records, he doesn't need to fill arenas, he doesn't need to be popular, he doesn't need your money, AND HE DOESN'T NEED YOU!"
                  Blackflag on DLR

Comment

• Satan
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist

Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                    I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Blaze
                      Call me an old cynic but I'm not convinced that the crucial factor here will be an internet petition of foreigners...

Comment

• Blaze
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                        Call me an old cynic but I'm not convinced that the crucial factor here will be an internet petition of foreigners...
                        I somewhat agree with you, I think it should be also be sent to the the UN officials for documentation of occurrence and delivery.

However, it is a formal communication with those targeted:

Targeting: Ambassador Sameh Shoukry (السفير سامح شكري), President Hosni Mubarak (الرئيس حسني مبارك), General Habib Ibrahim El Adly (حبيب ابراهيم العادلي‎), and Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq (احمد محمد شفيق‎)

I notice it seems to be USA citizens significantly, but anyone can sign it from across the world and have.

If you would please take a moment and add your Scottish voice echoing the January 25 movement.

25,000 signatures and counting! Let's go for 35,000. · about 1 hour ago

Benjamin Joffe-Walt
                        It's after midnight in Cairo yet tens of thousands are camping out, preparing for tomorrow's "march of millions"

about 4 hours ago
                        20000th signer — Lana Henson from Oklahoma City, OK · about 4 hours ago
                        17500th signer — Nate Nguyen from Chicago, IL · about 5 hours ago
                        15,000 signatures and counting! Let's go for 25,000. · about 6 hours ago
                        12500th signer — Robert Stedman from Las Vegas, NV · about 7 hours ago
                        10,000 signatures and counting! Let's go for 15,000. · about 8 hours ago
                        9000th signer — Denise Coppola from Clifton Park, NY · about 8 hours ago

Benjamin Joffe-Walt
                        9pm in Cairo: 250,000 protestors in Cairo's Tahrir Square. Opposition preparing for "march of millions" tomorrow to mark one week anniversary of the start of protests.

about 8 hours ago
                        8000th signer — Farris Jackson from winfield, WV · about 8 hours ago
                        sigpic

Comment

• Blaze
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Petitions by Change.org|Start a Petition »
                          sigpic

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

What if they spin it as a foreign backed coup?

Comment

• Switch84
                              Veteran
                              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                              Target number one is always the media and press. The shooting begins at the television station before the shooting happens at the presidential palace. I think the internet scares the hell out of people who abuse power. You don't know anything has been organized until the wave hits you.
                              Truedat.
                              "He doesn't need to sell millions of records, he doesn't need to fill arenas, he doesn't need to be popular, he doesn't need your money, AND HE DOESN'T NEED YOU!"
                              Blackflag on DLR

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                                Out with the czar in with Lenin. Out with the king in with Napoleon.

Comment

Working...