Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FORD
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

only because my gay friend who used to go to Key West at least once a year told me. Apparently there's even a gay coffee house there called "Sodom". You would think some entrepreneur would open a burger joint next to that and call it "Gommorah", but to my knowledge that hasn't happened yet.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by FORD
      only because my gay friend who used to go to Key West at least once a year told me. Apparently there's even a gay coffee house there called "Sodom". You would think some entrepreneur would open a burger joint next to that and call it "Gommorah", but to my knowledge that hasn't happened yet.
      i'm sure it would be a "hot dog" stand......
      Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• fifth element
        Commando
        • Nov 2010

*Making plans to check outbusiness opportunities in Key West...
        “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.” ~~Maria Robinson

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
          i'm sure it would be a "hot dog" stand......
          Of course....
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Yeah Key West has a big gay community.

It's one of those situations though where it seems to leave a lot of single straight women around.

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
              All this talk about trains not making money is not clear thinking. Most train systems are subsidised but not as much as cars are in the US.

Spending a trillion on oil wars is a big subsidy.

Also there are huge hidden profits from infrastructure. For example I bet a fuck of a lot of tourists would take a train down to the Keys.
              I think passenger rail in the US would have to be government ran or subsidized. The commercial railroads make so much more money hauling freight than passengers and you have to be set up completely different to keep them happy. They don't want to mess with it. We have a lot of grand old train terminals sitting around the US unused in the worst parts of down falling apart.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

The last real passenger train I rode on was the Union Pacific 844. I took my family to Portland, Oregon on it a few years back.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

One way to do it is to have the railways and stations government run and then let private companies run the trains themselves.

Government usually aren't very good at doing stuff which is very customer focussed.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                    The interstate system was built for the US military actually. They never would have spent that much money for just commercial and civilian use. It was built to move the military around quickly and easily if need be.
                    It wasn't JUST built for the military. A lot of that was Ike using that as a cover against accusations of a FDR "gov't works projects" criticisms from the hard right. If we were to examine Ike's beliefs about the Autobahn being of a military significance during WWII, he'd have to acknowledge that it was the ATTACKER (mainly the Western Allied forces that were the most mechanized) that benefited from the Autobahn; not the defenders against them, as the Germans were still largely dependent on ox/horse carts for their logistics despite what a lot of the "super-badass panzer elite ubermench" faboi shit a lot of SS-lovers on the internet come up with. Yes, Ike was indeed impressed by the Autobahn, but not for solely military reasons. It was also out of embarrassment of America's largely parochial, decentralized system of highway transit that varied widely, but were often just increasingly congested two lane roads with no centralized sense of organization nor layout causing increasing problems in the U.S. for commerce and commuters. The military necessity was valid, but also largely subterfuge as neither China nor the Soviets possessed the capability to actually invade North America in the foreseeable future. And even if they did, a mechanized attacker could also drive down I-95 with their tanks and trucks just as easily as U.S. forces could....

It was built for both military and civilian use actually. Just as the German Autobahn was when Adolf built it. And there's no reason why the military couldn't use the high speed rail system as well. In fact, having been stuck behind military convoys on I-5 before, I would encourage them to do so. Some of their vehicles just can't go fast enough to be on the freeway, so might as well load them on a flatbed rail car to get them from point a to point b faster.
                    Absolutely true, armies always have used rail, including the U.S.
                    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 03-07-2011, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                      Yeah Key West has a big gay community.

It's one of those situations though where it seems to leave a lot of single straight women around.
                      LOL I've been reading a new fad where straight guys go to gay bars (high end ones, not ones with macho leather dudes) in order to pick up the five to ten extremely hot women there with their gay friends...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Governments have to run at a profit as well of they go broke a cease to exists or they get bought up by foreign interests. That's why you have to choose your projects carefully and calculate a return on investment over time. Everything that runs on money is a business whether it's in the private sector or the government. Spend your money away and you disappear or someone else buys you up cheap.
                        Like the Pentagon?

Comment

• Nitro Express
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                          Like the Pentagon?
                          Like the Roman empire, the USSR, or the British empire. We are just following the same mistakes the British and other empires have made. Britiain got by in the 20th century because they got a lot of foreign aide, cheap loans, and had oil assets and the US surpassed it. It looks like it may be China's turn to surpass us. We will probably waddle on for a few more decades thinking we are still a super power.

Sesh would probably agree Scotland should break away and keep it's oil and natural gas money instead of sending it down to that big gaping hole in London.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                            ROTH ARMY ELITE
                            • Jan 2007

I think passenger rail in the US would have to be government ran or subsidized. The commercial railroads make so much more money hauling freight than passengers and you have to be set up completely different to keep them happy. They don't want to mess with it. We have a lot of grand old train terminals sitting around the US unused in the worst parts of down falling apart.
                            I prefer it be government ran, actually. If it were privatized, safety and quality would be compromised without any oversight. It would be like any other buisness....strictly profit-driven, over priced and unsafe. An organization similar to the FAA or DOT....or maybe the DOT itself could keep an eye on things. Other than that, a high speed rail between major metro areas to avoid high gas prices and traffic congestion only makes sense. We've saturated the freeways to the point of needing a release valve, so to speak.

This dumb-fuck that we have up here, John Kasich, doesn't seem to be able to wrap his mind around a good idea.
                            Last edited by hideyoursheep; 03-07-2011, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• hideyoursheep
                              ROTH ARMY ELITE
                              • Jan 2007

If you live in Glory Hole, Wy., you probably need a train just to get shit paper, huh?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

And just because something is "government run" doesn't mean that a whole host of private contracting firms won't be making a good buck building and running things with the gov't oversight essentially being a general contractor. Something that often happens in things like...oh...highways, infrastructure projects such as dams, and land management/environmental cleanup....

Comment

Working...