X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WACF
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
    That could well be a problem.... but just as they have "engine block warmers" in many newer vehicles, there could be a "battery block warmer" in the electric cars, also powered by the same solar/wind charging stations. This technology may well take a while to perfect, but hybrids would still be a step in the right direction for such people. Even if you had to burn petroleum and/or biofuels for the winter months, you could still go emission free the other half of the year.

If you live someplace where it's colder longer than that, you're probably traveling by dog sled half the time anyway.
    Hybrids are more the right step...but overall I need something to pull my camper.

The thing with cold climates are here on the prairies...you can't always plug in...plus you need the heat off the engine to keep windows clear and your fingers intact.

Biofuels also suck.

Lower octane and bad ecomomy.

We tried Bio Diesel underground in our mining equipment and it was terrible.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by WACF

Biofuels also suck.

Lower octane and bad ecomomy.

We tried Bio Diesel underground in our mining equipment and it was terrible.
      Biodiesel doesn't suck, but it is the last thing you should put in construction or industrial type equipment...

Comment

• WACF
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
        Biodiesel doesn't suck, but it is the last thing you should put in construction or industrial type equipment...
        Or Semi's...driver's that go south hate it.

Comment

• Angel
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by WACF
          Or Semi's...driver's that go south hate it.
          By the way, WACF...I can't seem to get back to it on Tapatalk, but you previously said something about Canadian mining companies paying well, keeping workers safe,etc.

Are you aware that 75% of the mines in third-world countries are owned by Cdn companies? They pay shit and their workers are not protected...
          "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• WACF
            Crazy Ass Mofo
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Angel
            By the way, WACF...I can't seem to get back to it on Tapatalk, but you previously said something about Canadian mining companies paying well, keeping workers safe,etc.

Are you aware that 75% of the mines in third-world countries are owned by Cdn companies? They pay shit and their workers are not protected...
            Yes I am.

Alot of them are only Canadian registered though.
            There are some bad ones based in Canada though...and they do not operate in Canada.

The United Steelworkers are working to expose them.

Also...there is a bill tabled in the House Of Commons to make Canadian registered companies legally responsible under Canadian law for thier actions globaly too...hope to hell it passes.

Companies take advantage of local governments in other countries...buys offs...buy governments to pass laws in the companies favour.

That is part of the reason Brazilian companies like Vale and Rio Tinto are having problems here...they are not used to stricter laws and a unionized educated work force.

Right now there is a campaign to hopefully cause Rio Tinto to lose the contract to make the Olympic medals...based on thier labour practices.

EDIT

Just found this link...looks like a victory!

I was in Toronto for a USW mining conference in June...this was a big topic and it is a victory for the community.\
            Glad to see it is now resolved!

Last edited by WACF; 07-12-2012, 12:33 AM.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2007

Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Satan
                ROTH ARMY ELITE
                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
                Good news, but the article fails to mention the source of the chargers electricity. Hopefully they are solar? It's Arizona, for Hell's sake, so they better be!
                Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• gbranton
                  Veteran
                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                  Biodiesel made from corn DOES suck. It sucks because it drives up food prices (especially during a drought like some states are currently suffering) and because there are other ways to manufacture biodiesel from non-foodstock materials that seem to be getting 0.00% attention from the Federal government, such as microdiesel. Personally I think microdiesel could be the future, in particular the research being done to manufacture petroleum using genetically modified e-coli bacteria.
                  "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Satan
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

They should just make it from hemp. The e-coli idea sounds interesting, but the concept of having huge amounts of biotoxin stored up (to make fuel) obviously has potential for some truly fucked up unintended consequences. Or intended, if you want to take the Alex Jones view of everything.
                    Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                    I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by gbranton
                      Biodiesel made from corn DOES suck. It sucks because it drives up food prices (especially during a drought like some states are currently suffering) and because there are other ways to manufacture biodiesel from non-foodstock materials that seem to be getting 0.00% attention from the Federal government, such as microdiesel. Personally I think microdiesel could be the future, in particular the research being done to manufacture petroleum using genetically modified e-coli bacteria.
                      Very little biodiesel is from corn, that shit is going to gas in the form of ethanol. Biodiesel is mostly french fry grease oil...

Comment

• Von Halen
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Originally posted by FORD

My grandpa used to have a car that had push button transmission when I was a kid. Can't remember what kind of car it was, but I don't remember him ever driving anything that wasn't a Ford or GM product. He definitely never owned a foreign car. I remember thinking (and I was probably about 7 or 8 at the time, and didn't even understand what a transmission really was) how dumb that was that you would shift gears like you were changing radio stations.
                        I was at a cruise the other night, and ran across this 1962 Chrysler Imperial with a pushbutton trans. Man, they just don't make cars with this much character anymore.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

All Chrysler products of that area had push buttons if they were Torque Flight automatic equipped...

Drag racers of the late 50s early 60s loved them...

Those Chrysler automatics were faster in the quarter than their manual counterparts...

Last edited by ELVIS; 07-22-2012, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Working...