X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • indeedido
    Veteran
    • Feb 2004

Building my new Frankenstrat

I know this has been done before several times over. But I thought I would share my process with everyone. I do it a little different, so maybe someone could learn something new from my process any way, I'll start.

I've collected all of my parts. All new stuff. I have made some of this my own, meaning I didn't necessarily try to mimic Ed's original in every detail, but I did most.

For example, I got the body and neck from Warmoth. Body is made from Alder instead of Ash/Swamp Ash. I like Alder better. The neck is Birdseye maple. Awesome figure.

I wanted mine to look like what it would had known how to paint. I wanted the same design, only to look more factory finished.
    This space for rent.
  • indeedido
    Veteran
    • Feb 2004

Modified pickguard [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by indeedido; 05-28-2007, 10:23 AM.
    This space for rent.

Comment

• kastco
      Roadie
      • Dec 2006

I'd be very interested in seeing a picture once you're done building it. I've been thinking of doing the same thing for awhile now.
      SUPPORT THE BIG RED MACHINE
      THE BEAST FROM THE EAST

Comment

• indeedido
        Veteran
        • Feb 2004

Hmmm, my images aren't uploading correctly. Let me see again,
        Last edited by indeedido; 05-28-2007, 10:29 AM.
        This space for rent.

Comment

• indeedido
          Veteran
          • Feb 2004

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
          This space for rent.

Comment

• indeedido
            Veteran
            • Feb 2004

I'm using the IMG coding, not sure what the issue is. Anyone? I've uploaded them to photobucket
            This space for rent.

Comment

• indeedido
              Veteran
              • Feb 2004

This space for rent.

Comment

• kastco
                Roadie
                • Dec 2006

I have a newer Squier body that someone gave me and I'm thinking of using that. Whats your opinion? Should I use the Squier or dig up an original Strat body. I'm pretty particular with this shit. Although they look exactly the same I know the cheaper Squiers don't have the sound quality. I'm looking for function as well as looks. The biggest problem is going to be getting the 71 quarter. LOL
                THE BEAST FROM THE EAST

Comment

• indeedido
                  Veteran
                  • Feb 2004

I don't know what kind of wood the squier is made of. You could easily use it and nobody would know where it came from. Could be basswood which is a pretty decent wood.
                  This space for rent.

Comment

• indeedido
                    Veteran
                    • Feb 2004

So here is my body. A Warmoth Strat Alder wood body. Routed for three single coil pickups, I wanted to chisel out the humbucker just like Ed did. I applied some sand sealer to the body and got it ready with some 400 grit sand paper.

This space for rent.

Comment

• indeedido
                      Veteran
                      • Feb 2004

Then I made my pattern for the route I needed to chisel out. I bought a brochure of the $25,000 Frankenstrat Fender is selling from ebay. I scanned it in and blew it up to full size and traced the pattern onto the body with carbon paper.

This space for rent.

Comment

• kastco
                        Roadie
                        • Dec 2006

Great pictures. I'd love to see more as you progress with the guitar. You made up my mind. I think I'll go your route and get the body through Warmoth. I actually use the Squier to display a original signed pick gaurd by McCartney, Harrison and Starr so I guess I'll leave it that way. Thanks again for your input.
                        THE BEAST FROM THE EAST

Comment

• jhale667
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by indeedido
                          I don't know what kind of wood the squier is made of. You could easily use it and nobody would know where it came from. Could be basswood which is a pretty decent wood.
                          DO NOT use a squier. It's probably Agathis, which is even shittier wood than (B)asswood.

Nice work so far with the Warmoth, though! I would have stuck with Ash, though...not a fan of Alder either....
                          Originally posted by conmee
                          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                          Originally posted by eddie78
                          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• indeedido
                            Veteran
                            • Feb 2004

Next up, the body after some chiseling has been done. Yet to be cleaned up with some sanding drums. The chiseling feels like the most important aspect of the project as it will dictate where the stripes go.

This space for rent.

Comment

• indeedido
                              Veteran
                              • Feb 2004

I meant to list some of these parts earlier, but forgot when I couldn't get them to post correctly. I don't know whey they aren't showing up. Never had a problem before.

Here is my 1971 quarter. I bought a new uncirculated quarter when I couldn't find one. I feel I got all the holes and the "dent" in the side in the correct places.

Here's my pickguard. Has a 500k volume pot in it now, but am thinking about trying out a 1 megaohm pot to really run things wide open.

And as far as parts go, the only thing else I should mention is my neckplate. I found a guy online that does custom engraving. So I got an EVH neckplate made. Notice the serial number, 001. Yes, I have the first made! lol

This space for rent.

Comment

Working...