X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
    When I upgraded to my ADATS things were definitely better and now my rig is pretty much analog board going into digital. The thing I really miss is that natural tape compression you got from hot-rodding the analog signal onto tape. Digital clipping sucks!!!!!!!!
    You can't even find reel-to-reel tape anymore; it's gone the way of the 8-track. Or GAyR's hairline.

I'm trying to avoid a lot of cutting and pasting of tracks, to give things more of a "live" feel....

Btw, GAyR, I use Monster cables...if/when one goes down, I just go get a free replacement...
    Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• jhale667
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

In hindsight, had I mentioned the IR1A hiss was (as indicated on the website) intermittent, perhaps GAyR might not have been so quick to own himself so readily...

Sorry, little fella.
      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• jhale667
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

In other news...

Just checked the Soundclick stats for the MP3 post(s). After only two days:

TOTAL PLAYS: 80 :eek:

Wow.

Now I really want to get busy...is it Friday yet?

Probably will play with some different cab emulations this weekend for giggles. Tried the "Ghandi 4x12" which is sampled from a Mesa Recto cab w/Vintage 30s, but I still liked the "Green 4x12" - sampled from Warren Demartini's favorite old Marshall cab w/Greenbacks better. There's also an emulation of one of the new hand-wired Marshall 1960A cabs with reissue Greenbacks, going to try that - but I bet it won't sound quite as good as "Green".

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2004

Originally posted by jhale667
          Just checked the Soundclick stats for the MP3 post(s). After only two days:

TOTAL PLAYS: 80 :eek:

Wow.

That's some good traffic!
          Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Diamondjimi
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • May 2004

FAIL.

Again, like you have a CLUE what the fuck you're talking about.

STFU, moron - it's listed on the site as the primary drawback to the freeware....god, you're a numbskull.

Where have you been, getting the consultation for the pending hairplugs or the lap-band surgery?
            Poor little GARfail... Pwn3d again!
            He's probably getting a verbal beatdown this very moment from Mamoud the owner of the internet cafe` he's posting from for pounding on the keyboard all night from being owned repeatedly...

Comment

• Hardrock69
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by GAR
              You shaved apes really have no business playing with the computerings and internets thingy.
              Speak for yourself you fucking loser. :tongue0011:

You can't even find reel-to-reel tape anymore; it's gone the way of the 8-track. Or GAyR's hairline.

I'm trying to avoid a lot of cutting and pasting of tracks, to give things more of a "live" feel....

Btw, GAyR, I use Monster cables...if/when one goes down, I just go get a free replacement...
              Do what I do. Once you have a final mix (or even if you just wanna get that natural compression slam on an individual track), get a hi-fi stereo VCR. They are dirt cheap these days. And you can still find extra hi-grade VHS tape if you look for it.

Comment

• jhale667
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Yeah, there's a thought....y'know, ADAT tapes were essentially Super-VHS tapes; all you had to do was re-format them. Did that a few times when the local GC was out of tape. It was a pain-in-the ass if it was a 4-hour tape though, because you had to reformat in real time...

I have an ADAT that's currently collecting dust in my living room, though I should hook it up to my rig and pull a few things off of the tapes I still have to fly in to the new project - I used to regularly save wacky vocal samples: girls saying weird and/or suggestive things from TV shows or in messages from my old answering machine before I got voicemail, you name it...stuff I could blackmail people with now....

I snagged one onto my hard-drive from HBO the other night: This girl with a really sexy voice saying "You know, sometimes when life gets you down, you just need to forget your troubles and fuck for a while...." That's a song intro, right there!
                Last edited by jhale667; 10-14-2009, 07:43 PM.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • May 2004

(Great bridge, btw)

Comment

• Hardrock69
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Feb 2005

Mixing to VHS Tape for Home Recording / Home Recording dot com

VHS Tests

VHS Feedback

One other advantage to using a Hi-fi VCR is that Hi-fi VCRs record the audio tracks as diagonal stripes across the tape's width under the video track. The result is near-CD sound quality. Hi-fi VCRs use two extra heads for the audio.

And, (this is the cool part), a VHS tape is 3/4" wide. Due to the fact the audio is striped diagonally, you are actually getting closer to 1" of magnetic tape per stripe.

So you could essentially say you have a 1" 2-track machine.

Buy some ultra-hi-grade VHS tapes and you are ready to rock!

Around 1985, JVC added Hi-Fi audio to VHS (in response to Betamax's introduction of Beta Hi-Fi.) Both VHS Hi-Fi and Betamax Hi-Fi delivered flat full-range frequency response (20 Hz to 20 kHz), excellent 70 dB signal-to-noise ratio (in consumer space, second only to the compact disc), dynamic range of 90 dB, and studio-grade channel separation (more than 70dB). VHS Hi-Fi audio is achieved by using audio frequency modulation (AFM), recording each of the 2 stereo channels (L, R) on a frequency-modulated carrier and embedding the modulated audio signal pair into the video signal. To avoid crosstalk and interference from the primary video carrier, VHS's implementation of AFM relied on a form of magnetic recording called depth multiplexing. The modulated audio carrier pair was placed under the luminance carrier (below 1.6 MHz), and recorded first. Subsequently, the video head erases and re-records the video signal over the same tape surface, but video signal's higher center frequency results in a shallower magnetization of the tape, allowing both the video and residual AFM audio signal to coexist on tape. (PAL versions of Beta Hi-Fi use this same technique). During playback, VHS Hi-Fi recovers the depth-recorded AFM signal by subtracting the audio head's signal (which contains the AFM signal contaminated by a weak image of the video signal) from the video head's signal (which contains only the video signal), then demodulates the left and right audio channels from their respective frequency carriers. The end result of the complex process was audio of outstanding fidelity, which was uniformly solid across all tape-speeds (EP or SP.) Since JVC had gone through the complexity of ensuring Hi-Fi's backward compatibility with non-Hi-Fi VCRs, virtually all studio home video releases contained Hi-Fi audiotracks (in addition to the linear audio track). Under normal circumstances, all Hi-Fi VHS VCRs will record Hi-Fi and linear audio simultaneously to ensure compatibility with VCRs without Hi-Fi playback.

The sound quality of Hi-Fi VHS stereo is comparable to the quality of CD audio, particularly when recordings were made on high-end or professional VHS machines that have a manual audio recording level control. This high quality compared to other consumer audio recording formats such as compact cassette attracted the attention of amateur and hobbyist recording artists. Home recording enthusiasts occasionally recorded high quality stereo mixdowns and master recordings from multitrack audio tape onto consumer-level Hi-Fi VCRs. However, because the VHS Hi-Fi recording process is intertwined with the VCR's video-recording function, advanced editing functions such as audio-only or video-only dubbing are impossible. Some VHS decks also had a "simulcast" switch, allowing users to record an external audio input along with off-air pictures. Some televised concerts offered a stereo simulcast soundtrack on FM radio and as such, events like Live Aid were recorded by thousands of people with a full stereo soundtrack despite the fact that stereo TV broadcasts were some years off (especially in regions that adopted NICAM).

The considerable complexity and additional hardware limited VHS Hi-Fi to high-end decks for many years. While linear stereo all but disappeared from home VHS decks, it was not until the 1990s that Hi-Fi became a more common feature on VHS decks. Even then, most customers were unaware of its significance and merely enjoyed the better audio performance of the newer decks.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2005

You know what really sucks about threads like this?

Garfuckle keeps posting inaccurate, false, untrue and misleading crap.

Unfortunately, we usually correct him, while telling him what a fuckwad he is.

The info we post here can be used by this dumbass in the future to try to convince OTHER people at OTHER websites that he might possibly know what he is talking about.

The last thing I want to do is educate a Black Hole of intelligence.....an idiot whose stupidity is so strong that not even idiocy can escape!

Oh well. It is worth it to pass info along to the SMART people who far outnumber Garfuckle on this site.

Comment

• GAR
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2004

I'd say it's time to just go get that free replacement...

Monster: noisiest shit coaxial cables I've ever owned besides the lower grade Rapco's and even those weren't as bad as the Monster.

Comment

• jhale667
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Monsters rule and YOU can't hear the difference anyway, remember?

Sorry, GAyR. Can't admit you "can't hear when strings are dead" in one post and then expect anyone to take your opinion on sonics seriously in the next, cum-dump.

And for the record, I've only had one Monster cable take a dump on me in almost 10 years. Use a Rapco to hang yourself already.

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                          You know what really sucks about threads like this?

Garfuckle keeps posting inaccurate, false, untrue and misleading crap.

Unfortunately, we usually correct him, while telling him what a fuckwad he is.

The info we post here can be used by this dumbass in the future to try to convince OTHER people at OTHER websites that he might possibly know what he is talking about.

The last thing I want to do is educate a Black Hole of intelligence.....an idiot whose stupidity is so strong that not even idiocy can escape!

Oh well. It is worth it to pass info along to the SMART people who far outnumber Garfuckle on this site.

He'll reveal himself to be a fuckwit wherever (and whenever) he posts.

And he's a prime example of the old adage about "telling the same lie a thousand times doesn't make it any more true"...

Originally posted by GAR
                          I'd say it's time to just go get that free replacement...

You'd say it, but AS USUAL, YOU'RE WRONG....

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • May 2004

Sorry, GAyR. Can't admit you "can't hear when strings are dead" in one post and then expect anyone to take your opinion on sonics seriously in the next, cum-dump.

And for the record, I've only had one Monster cable take a dump on me in almost 10 years. Use a Rapco to hang yourself already.

Comment

• kwame k
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                              Mixing to VHS Tape for Home Recording / Home Recording dot com

VHS Tests

VHS Feedback

One other advantage to using a Hi-fi VCR is that Hi-fi VCRs record the audio tracks as diagonal stripes across the tape's width under the video track. The result is near-CD sound quality. Hi-fi VCRs use two extra heads for the audio.

And, (this is the cool part), a VHS tape is 3/4" wide. Due to the fact the audio is striped diagonally, you are actually getting closer to 1" of magnetic tape per stripe.

So you could essentially say you have a 1" 2-track machine.

Buy some ultra-hi-grade VHS tapes and you are ready to rock!
                              Good info right there HR, thanks.

I still plan on using my ADAT's..I use them almost like an Analog to Digital converter. I pipe that through to my computer and do the mixing and editing there. I pipe it through to the computer in real time and don't even record to the ADAT tape (Although I should as a back up) I have an old Lexicon 24 bit that's needs updating so I can get at least 8-tracks of ADAT's into the computer and I'm not really sure what I'll get, yet.
                              Christmas time for Kwame will be good this year for sure
                              Originally posted by vandeleur
                              E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• GAR
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2004

I said: "I can't tell the difference between a new set or the 10-year old dead sets on my guitars," not "I'm deaf and can't tell that my shitty recording software has the gain wanked so high in playback its generating whitenoise signal.." nor did I state "I can't tell whether my guitar cords are noisey" either.

Cumpdump, eh? More gay shit eminating like that from your hellhole single flat in the Valley is more than just a gag: I'm led to believe you really are a fag. Maybe that's why you amuse me - faggots are funny and strange people.

Comment

Working...