My dad and I are going to make a Frankenstein Replica.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhale667
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by GAR
    I once cut off my coch to save Tibet, the hell what you say!
    Whatever, stumpy...
    Originally posted by conmee
    If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
    Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
    I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
    Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
    Originally posted by eddie78
    I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• GAR
      Banned
      • Jan 2004

WOW I usually ignore everything you post, but this Frankenstraat guy looks like he hasn't resolved his dozen pages of people bitching about him.

Is he now ebay seller "guitarpartsonline1" offering 5150 kits?

I hadn't heard of people still doing this after that Roland Hernandez guy got a CND from EVH.

Comment

• VanHalenFan5150
        Sniper
        • Oct 2009

Well it appears like he's a high rated seller with 99.7% customer satisfaction rating and 12,665 seller reviews. He must be a bad seller then, Gar.
        Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

Comment

• indeedido
          Veteran
          • Feb 2004

Check my thread out on how I built mine. I bought a body from Warmoth. Then I used a chisel and wood carving set to "chisel" out the route for the humbucker by hand. I could have used a router, but I wanted it to look like Edwards. I also wanted to do it just like he did. So I traced my pattern, drank some beers and carved out the route. If it is too smooth it just doesn't look right.

This space for rent.

Comment

• indeedido
            Veteran
            • Feb 2004

I did smooth it up a little with sandpaper when done. I've found that one of the overlooked pieces of Ed's early tone is the angle of the pickup. It sounds totally different when it is parallel to the bridge than it does angled. I took a compass and figured out how many degrees it was. I don't recall what it was but believe me each degree does affect the tone.
            This space for rent.

Comment

• VanHalenFan5150
              Sniper
              • Oct 2009

Yes, I really wanted it to be authentic looking, and that means slanting the pickup as well. Not many people seem to do that...
              Reading Crazy From the Heat in four hours flat, in a cramped RV, on the return trip of a 3,000+ mile family outing to New Jersey is an enlightening experience you'll never forget.

Comment

• Don Corleone
                Veteran
                • May 2004

Originally posted by VanHalenFan5150
                Not many people seem to do that...
                I haven't seen too many who haven't slanted the pick up. For the most part, guys making their own replicas are pretty meticulous about the detail. The few I have seen which haven’t had the slant routing have been done (sloppily) by guys looking to make an easy few quid from an over zealous Ed Head; even the Chinese and Korean replica companies are adding the slant routing these days (they still aren't quite right with the stripes though).

I'm not sure if you've come across a guy called Dino yet. Dino does have some knowledge, he is/was a friend of Frankenstraat (James Duffy), however they had a bit of fall out when Dino tried to "get in on the act" so to speak. Like James, he is still around and is still churning out replicas at a price (granted very shiny replicas).

For tips, Alain Rivard is another guy you might want to try talking to - he has been know to pop in here from time to time but he doesn't post too often.
                Last edited by Don Corleone; 07-11-2010, 04:39 AM.
                Roth Army Militia

Comment

• VanHalenFan5150
                  Sniper
                  • Oct 2009

I have a few people that i've been talking to. Jimi, JHale, Jager (All seem to be J's so far) and the one guy from VanHalenGuitars.com

Comment

• Don Corleone
                    Veteran
                    • May 2004

Good Stuff, it's good to get as much good advise as possible; there's always something new to learn.
                    Roth Army Militia

Comment

• VanHalenFan5150
                      Sniper
                      • Oct 2009

Yeah, I generally find that true about everything; there's always something new to learn.

Comment

• GAR
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2004

The overlooked reason why the humbucker is slanted, is for the top bobbin of the pickup to reach the high-E string, while the low bobbin with the screw polepieces reaches the low-E string.

The spacing of the original Fender trem is actually wider than the width of the original Gibson PAF-pickup and slanting its mounting extends the width the strings are sensed.

Just placing a string over a bobbin will sense something, but the magnetic fields are way, way stronger coming thru a polepiece than anything. Tone has nothing to do with it: it's all about the increasing the output current by sensing as much physical movement of the string as possible.

Comment

• Don Corleone
                          Veteran
                          • May 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                          The overlooked reason why the humbucker is slanted, is for the top bobbin of the pickup to reach the high-E string, while the low bobbin with the screw polepieces reaches the low-E string
                          This quote was brought to us tonight by Gary, with the use of Google. However the original quote:

Another problem is that the strings on a Stratocaster are spaced differently that a Gibson's; if you use a humbucking pickup, the strings don't line up with the pickup holes. So I've tried slanting the pickup so the high E string will be picked up by a front pole and the low E will be picked up by a rear pole. For the sound I like, it is also important to get the space between the bridge and pickup right.
                          Was brought to us in 1980 by none other than Eddie Van Halen himself.
                          Roth Army Militia

Comment

• GAR
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2004

.. which I read in 1980. Which others who did not, angle the pickup for the look of the 5150 but don't know why they do it?

Or what the reason for this is? This ASSHOLE! Emeritus, Corleone, just spent 20 minutes googling what I just shared for reasons of rhetoric alone.

Thanks for reiterating, retard. Perhaps I should just append every quote I make with a reference index, including every interview/month/year/publication I initially read it in, so I can best adhere to the AP Journalistic Guidlines you wish honored here and keep you happy or something?

Andy Summers put a Gibson PAF in a Fender 3 years before EVH thought of it, except nobody credits him for being first cuz its polepieces fit better in the neck position.
                            Last edited by GAR; 07-11-2010, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• VanHalenFan5150
                              Sniper
                              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by GAR
                              Thanks for reiterating, retard. Perhaps I should just append every quote I make with a reference index, including every interview/month/year/publication I initially read it in, so I can best adhere to the AP Journalistic Guidlines you wish honored here and keep you happy or something?
                              MLA citations are easier and more standard. Here is a helpful MLA guide to citing internet resources (in your case Google and Wikipedia!): http://www.virtualsalt.com/mla.htm

Comment

• GAR
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2004

Looks like you and Dad got money to buy ready-made parts from Warmoth, etc.

I had to figure how to build a working instrument on my own for no money. Later.

Comment

Working...