X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by rustoffa
    I think that the Juniors are over-valued due to the fascination with more heavily-routed guitars of the same era. They're just collected on the same inane level with reckless disregard to simplicity.
    Yeah, I had not been paying much attention to them or the prices they were bringing in recent years, and then when I saw those 3 at the guitar show, my jaw literally dropped.

It is just that a) they are Gibsons that b) are from the 50s.

Hell, you could have a 4 X 4 log with a Gibson logo from 1959 now and it would sell for $3,000 easily.
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 06-29-2009, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• ELVIS
      Banned
      • Dec 2003

I dunno...i've heard a few Juniors with P90's that sounded awesome, although my Agile with P90's sounds nearly identical if not better than a decent Gibson...

BTW, the Lead II is cool and I love kahlers...

Comment

• jackassrock
        Head Fluffer
        • Sep 2004

I just assembled this for my friend Dave who is the guitarist of our VH tribute "Man Halen". He wanted something in the spirit of "Frankie" without being an exact copy. The body is a Mexi-strat, with an Allparts neck, an original Floyd with titanium big block and string blocks, and a Genesis "Mr. Brownie humbucker. It was my first time dropping a Floyd in a guitar that wasn't set up for a floating trem and it worked out perfectly. It plays great with low fast action, and sounds really good for a trem guitar IMO.

The Band is headlining the 4th of July Rock And Roll Carnival show here in Cincinnati, and I'll be playing the part of bass player using an L-2000 (fucking awesome sounding/playing bass).

In case you are wondering, the setlist is...

Panama
        DOA
        Beautiful Girls
        Mean Street
        Runnin With The Devil
        Dance The Night Away
        Everybody Wants Some
        Where Have All The Good Times Gone
        Unchained
        Hot For Teacher
        Ain't Talkin Bout Love
        It's a shame that families should be torn apart by something as simple as....wild dogs

Comment

• GAR
          Banned
          • Jan 2004

The L2000 is a great underdog of a bass. Awesome neck!

I really like this interpretation.. it's completely original, it's interesting without being tacky, I love the little ghosties looking thru the white stripes.. fantastic!

This is my favorite build on the b&w stripes theme - ever. I love it totally luurve it.

Well done! It looks like shit at first, but then you step closer and look into it and it draws on your memory.. awesome.

Awesome.

Comment

• GAR
            Banned
            • Jan 2004

BACK SHOT! We need a back shot..

Comment

• jackassrock
              Head Fluffer
              • Sep 2004

Wow, thanks.

I really gotta say that when I saw you had replied to the thread I was expecting a major bashing. I actually never took a shot of the back, and it's already in the owners hands, but we are doing an unannounced gig tonight to warm up for Friday, and I'll see if I can get a shot of it. He used it at practice last night and it really sounded awesome. Many props to Genesis (whoever they are ??) for making a really sweet pickup. Previously he used a Guild S-100 which sounded good, but now we've got the VH sound pretty well down.

Only thing I really don't like about it is the sandpaper scratches in the black, but I do like what it did to the stripes that were sanded before the final black coat. I guess that could all be fixed with a clear coat. I just didn't have time for one due to the gig coming up so soon. Maybe I'll do that before the New Years show (we play only once or twice a year).

RE; L-2000... Man. I had that bass sitting around for about 5 years before I actually took it down to the practice spot and really put it to the test.The reason being that I bought it on ebay and recieved it with a serious bend in the neck and no play left in the truss rod. One day I decided to take the truss rod nut off and let it sit for a few days with no tension, then I added a small washer, tightened it back up and it straightened right out. That was about 8 months ago, and I haven't used another bass since. Like you said, the neck is thin fast and sooooo playable and the electronics give me more sound possibilities than any bass I've ever seen. My prized P-bass has become a backup.
              Last edited by jackassrock; 07-01-2009, 10:09 AM.
              It's a shame that families should be torn apart by something as simple as....wild dogs

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • May 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69

Hell, you could have a 4 X 4 log with a Gibson logo from 1959 now and it would sell for $3,000 easily.
                Yup, pretty much sums it up!
                Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• GAR
                  Banned
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by jackassrock
                  One day I decided to take the truss rod nut off and let it sit for a few days with no tension, then I added a small washer, tightened it back up and it straightened right out.
                  I know the problem, sometimes there's this drillpress cutter that doesn't go down enough onto the rod when they make the neck that hogs out and clears material so the bullet end can thread down on it and you figured out a good way to offset that shortfall.

Great tip! One I'd like to throw out at you is, holding it by the headstock and sitting on the back of the neck with your knee, flexing the neck backwards.

This sometimes gets you a little extra play in the truss, if like you say, there is even thread down in there at all for the bullet nut to travel on.

In that case where there' no more thread travel, the little washer trick works great, and you figured that out on your own. XLNT

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • May 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                    Here. Hot off the press.

Left to right:

Late 70s Japanese-made Sigma Acoustic (by Martin), 1998 Epiphone Korina Flying V, 1980 Fender Lead I, 1985 JB Player neck-thru-body, 2008 Epiphone Les Paul Studio, 1989 Gibson Flying V, 1985 JB Player Neck-thru-body, 1980 Fender Lead II, 1999 Epiphone Korina Explorer, 1997 Fender Jazz (Mexican-made), and the center piece?
                    My trusty 1979 Marshall Mk II 100w Super Lead powered by NOS Siemen EL34s on a mid-70s slant cab. Note that the only thing in that photo that cost me over 300 dollars was the Gibson Flying V which I bought brand new in 1989 for $550.

Cool stuff HR. I have the exact Sigma (late 70's) great sounding gtrs.I string it with Elixer's. Sounds shweet...
                    I've developed a respect for Epiphone after aquiring a couple of killer ones.(V & LP Custom). I just upgrade the Pups and hardware and they're equal to many Gibby's I've played and owned. Plus it also helps to know what qualifies as a quality guitar ,(sans Googling)

Comment

• Hardrock69
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Feb 2005

Korina V was first thing I got. Blew my mind how good it was, though yeah, pickups suck ass. Korina Explorer I got after moving to Gnashville. Same quality, but pickups were a bit better, though still not worthy to be placed in such a primo axe.

Les Paul is all of 7 months old, built in December of last year, and, yes, the pickups suck shit. They are weak, lifeless, dull. They don't feed back at all, which is cool I guess, but
                      as the pickups are useless, even that positive quality does not mean shit.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • May 2004

Yup ,git yerself on Ebay,bro. There's spme good deals. Even some lesser known pups might be worth looking into (GFS,Mighty Mite) Decent stuff you can grab a few of to upgrade a couple of gits at a time...

Comment

• GAR
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2004

MightyMite pickups are crap, nice goin' recommending crappy crap there King of Crap.

Comment

• Cato
                            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

stop posting shit and show off your guitar otherwise fuck off
                            Don't notice most of my posts are less than 2 lines...

Fender Custom Shop Owners Club

Gibson Custom Shop Owners Club

Cato's YouTube Channel

Comment

• letsrock
                              Veteran
                              • Mar 2007

Man some of you have some cool guitars.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • May 2004

Originally posted by GAR
                                MightyMite pickups are crap, nice goin' recommending crappy crap there King of Crap.
                                Some cheap aftermarket pickups are better than stock Epiphone pickups , Shirtlifter!

Originally posted by Cato
                                stop posting shit and show off your guitar otherwise fuck off
                                He would, but the people who work @ the library won't let him drag his Charvette onto the photocopier!
                                Last edited by Diamondjimi; 07-02-2009, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Working...