Clear All
  • kwame k
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Feb 2008

Originally posted by ELVIS
    You're like a hit machine, eh ??

We're thinking of renaming the band Berry Gordy
    Originally posted by vandeleur
    E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• jhale667
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
      The reason we're even releasing any of these demos is to generate interest in the band.......over 112 new fans in less than 2 weeks!

The other "sneaky" reason is to see what songs people are liking and listening to the most. Those will be the ones on the album and released as singles!

Use the social media to your advantage........let the fans pick which songs are worth recording first!

I do. A couple of the tunes have gotten a couple hundred listens each, definitely going with those, but I still need to decide on a couple more.
      Originally posted by conmee
      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
      Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
      I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
      Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
      Originally posted by eddie78
      I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• kwame k
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Feb 2008

Throw 'em out on the nets and see which ones get the plays/likes!

The best part of social media for up and coming bands/artists!
        E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Seshmeister
          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by kwame k
          No offense was taken, Jay! I knew what your were saying

When I was recording with a buddy from OR and everything was sent via the net.........everything was done to clicks.

He'd send a guitar and a click to get the general idea of what the tempo was and a way that I could overdub parts to. We did, in the writing phase, cut and paste stuff. The classic writing thang.......I think the verse should be the chorus!

Now that I'm writing with people who are physically in the room.......we haven't used a click. All of our stuff is recorded in this sequence;

1. Drums, rhythm guitar and a scratch vocal.
          2. Overdubs for rhythm guitar, lead vocals, backing vocals and piano parts.
          3. Bass and more vocals.
          4. Lead guitar and filler overdubs.

Basically when we have a good drum track we start overdubbing.

****edit***

Add to that.......everything we're recording is going to get rerecorded.

You know......that there fancy word, Preproduction/writing demos
          No bass on step 1???

Preproduction/demos we just do live with everyone DI'ing(use a Roland kit).

It's more fun that way and super quick.

Comment

• kwame k
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Feb 2008

Nope no bass on step 1.......seems to allow the bass player a better understanding of the song and makes him more melodic.......same thing McCartney did.

I understand your point about DI'ing with the whole band, though.

It's just the process that seems to be working for us...........

In the late 80's when I went into a studio and had a producer that was the process.

What I like about doing it that way was/is........gives the song a chance to develop on it's own, when we rerecord everyone has a good idea of which guitars and amps they'll use for which songs, vocal melodies can be tweaked, lyrics can be refined and any other instruments can be rehearsed and ready to play when we record.

Having your own studio makes the difference at our level......meaning time isn't money.

Everyone from the Beatles to Van Halen have done the exact same thing.......so if it ain't broke why fix it?
            Last edited by kwame k; 06-25-2013, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• Seshmeister
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

I have a home studio too, time isn't money but it is time which I never seem to have enough of.

Didn't know about the bass thing, we've always recorded it live with the drums then added everything else.

Comment

• kwame k
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Feb 2008

Which is a great way to do it and I'm not knocking that way at all. I've done the same thing.

Locks down the rhythm and everyone else can build on it but......what I have noticed is it takes the pressure off the bass player to have to come up with a part off the cuff, since he's not involved in the writing process. Gives him the time to develop his parts and not get stuck on one pattern because it seemed to work live.

There's not really one correct answer or definitive way.......whatever works for you works!

Comment

• kwame k
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Feb 2008

I'm talking about later Beatles stuff.......all the early stuff was recorded live (before anyone throws a hissy fit about that comment).

Paul mentions it on one of the Classic Albums documentaries or maybe on the Anthology.......can't remember which!

Comment

• kwame k
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Feb 2008

@ about the 9:50 mark Paul mentions it!

Comment

• jhale667
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Aug 2004

And who's gonna argue with Sir Paul? I can totally see where even in a band situation if you were a bassist trying to write a melodic walking bassline ala McCartney, you'd want to hear not only the chord progression (oh noes! ), but what the drums are going to be doing too. Better way to know what notes to accent.

Everybody DI'ing in a room is cool too, especially for a band that's well-rehearsed on the track in advance. Kinda miss that. A former bandmate and I are gonna re-do one of the tunes we both still dig from our 90s band for giggles. It'll be cool to collaborate again (in both of these upcoming instances), lookin' forward to it. Because of that though, I'm starting to think about upping the amount of inputs I can run simultaneously in here, too. Currently limited to 2 via the MboxII, but my contact at Avid informs me that with an i7 and (currently) 16g of ram (could do 32), I should have no issues running enough to do a "band" with an electronic kit in here. So I probably need to upgrade my recording interface. Thinking 8 would be good, doubt it'd get more elaborate than that. If I do the upgrade to Pro Tools 11 sooner or later (currently on 10) don't think it recognizes Mboxes anyway.

Funny now that Sesh mentioned the kit option, reminded me of an option I'd totally forgotten - my last cover band's drummer has one, & I conceivably could have him lay down tracks and trigger the drum sounds via MIDI out of my EZdrummer sample library. They keep having sales on expansion kits, so that's still growing, too...lol. We'd talked about it before a long time ago, but at the time I had no drum samples to trigger, and he didn't like any in his kit's library (he mainly uses it for practice). Now, I have a fuck-load!

Recently got the "electronic" and "vintage" kits too.

Last edited by jhale667; 06-25-2013, 10:42 PM.
                      If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Paul was actually doing that bass overdub stuff even before they became "studio hermits" in the later years (post Revolver)

That "stoned" outtake of "And Your Bird Can Sing" on Anthology 2 was actually a mix of two takes running at the same time. One was pretty much a straight run through with normal vocals, guitar and drums, and the other was the "baked" vocals and Paul's bass line with Ringo throwing in some cymbals and George on the solo......

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• jhale667
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Aug 2004

Y'know, all this bass talk is inspiring me - the first order of business when I get this bass up & running, before I start seriously recording with it - learn some McCartney basslines. Then John Paul Jones. Then Robert DeLeo. And some James Jamerson for good measure. Just to get in the mood.

That is all.

Icon.

Comment

• kwame k
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Feb 2008

I fucking hate you, Jay

Electronic drum samples?????

FFS......I'm telling Frankie on you

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-R24-Digit...ording+console Here's what we're thinking of getting......this or another one made by Alesis or Focusrite, too lazy to look right now but it does 16 tracks simultaneously!

What I dig about it is......it's a mixing board and an audio interface all in one!

Comment

• kwame k
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by FORD
                              Paul was actually doing that bass overdub stuff even before they became "studio hermits" in the later years (post Revolver)

That "stoned" outtake of "And Your Bird Can Sing" on Anthology 2 was actually a mix of two takes running at the same time. One was pretty much a straight run through with normal vocals, guitar and drums, and the other was the "baked" vocals and Paul's bass line with Ringo throwing in some cymbals and George on the solo......

Been watching the Anthology documentary damn near nightly for the last few months......

Last edited by kwame k; 06-26-2013, 12:16 AM.

Comment

• envy_me
                                Swedish Love Pump
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Dec 2010

Look what I saw in a second hand shop today that made me think of this thread. I don't know why though

The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

Comment

Working...