• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sob33316
    Groupie
    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by vandeleur
    Yeah I wanna check out daves Latin story
    It was funny....he was showing how all the latins danced in their club days.

Comment

• Momshell
      Veteran
      • Jan 2012

ICM (does not include Dave saying to forget the dog intro )
      Stay Frosty!

THE DAY IS DONZO LET'S HAVE SOME FUNZO!!

Comment

• Momshell
        Veteran
        • Jan 2012

I'll Wait
        Stay Frosty!

Comment

• Momshell
          Veteran
          • Jan 2012

ATBL
          Stay Frosty!

Comment

• Momshell
            Veteran
            • Jan 2012

RWTD
            Stay Frosty!

Comment

• Momshell
              Veteran
              • Jan 2012

Still no DTNA that I can find. Dave sounds good in those vids, from what I can hear.
              Stay Frosty!

Comment

• Momshell
                Veteran
                • Jan 2012

No Women In Love either - looking forward to that - sounds like it was a pretty funny moment!
                Stay Frosty!

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                  ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                  • Dec 2003

Concert review: Van Halen at the BankAtlantic Center, April 10, 2012

The storied rock band revisited its past, while closing the book on a less-than-great portion of it.
                  2:14 a.m. EDT, April 11, 2012

A Van Halen fan doesn’t need a reason to forget the name Sammy Hagar, but the reconstituted version of the band that played last night at Sunrise’s BankAtlantic Center offered plenty of them, anyway, and certainly no less than 22, the combined number of old and new songs the group performed in a bracingly loud, fleetingly nostalgic set that topped two hours. With original frontman David Lee Roth back at the microphone, Van Halen did its best to close the 28-year gap between “1984,” the last album the band cut with Roth before replacing him with the aforementioned Hagar, and “A Different Kind of Truth,” the surprisingly solid reunion album it released earlier this year. It didn’t play a single song from its post-Roth era.

Gone were any visible traces of the divisions that drove Roth away from and out of the band all those years ago, and if the singer’s nonstop smiling and wild-eyed mugging often appeared more mannered than genuine, his interplay with guitarist Eddie Van Halen, who seemed to be enjoying himself as much as any member of the audience, came off as warm and jovial, even brotherly. Only the absence of founding bassist Michael Anthony, who departed in the mid-2000s and who has been replaced in musicality if not in spirit by Eddie’s son Wolfgang, suggested any evidence of previous disharmony. But it was faint. And save the deep, riverlike lines made visible in the face of Alex Van Halen whenever he appeared on the large video screen behind the band, the preternaturally stoic drummer looked the same as ever.

Opening with “Unchained,” from the band’s 1981 album “Fair Warning,” the group quickly dispensed with the idea that the audience was in store for a typical reunion show, with all its attendant celebrations of past glories and starkly present reminders of fading abilities and eroding relevance. Sure, Roth’s roundhouse kicks don’t reach as high as they once did, and his flowing mane of blond hair has long since been replaced by a short, preppy ’do. And yes, he can no longer drop into a split without calling attention to the fact that he’s not too old to drop into a split, but last night, Roth lived up to his Diamond Dave moniker, glittering in matching black leather pants, vest and jacket, worn over a sparkling blue shirt that would make half the performers in Las Vegas blush. Although his style and demeanor have been widely imitated, Roth has always followed his own blueprint, a hard-rock frontman whose belt is crafted with as much Borsht as vinyl, and a sex god who isn’t afraid to appear mortal. He remains the genre’s preeminent ham, and only late in the show, when he interrupted Alex Van Halen’s drum intro to “Hot for the Teacher” to deliver an expletive-laden tirade against the stage crew for failing to properly control the temperature of the overhead “blowers,” did he allow any cracks to appear in his facade. It was an awkward, uncomfortable moment, the low point of the show, and it took the band two songs -- the deep cuts “Outta Love Again” and “Women in Love” -- before Roth was able to regain his composure and lead the Van Halens through a rollicking version of the classic sing-along “Beautiful Girls.”

Of course, Roth’s star is inextricably linked to that of Eddie Van Halen, the inventive, phenomenally gifted guitarist who has his own legions of acolytes and imitators. But even during songs as familiar as “Runnin’ With the Devil,” “Panama,” “Hot for Teacher” and the group’s cover of Roy Orbison’s “Oh, Pretty Woman,” Van Halen looked and sounded as if he’d only recently discovered his remarkable talent, that goofy, can-you-believe-I-can-do-this grin plastered to his weathered but still boyish face. Twice during his requisite, yet astonishing, late-set guitar solo, he gave the audience -- and himself -- a reflexive thumbs-up. Likewise, his fist-pumping enthusiasm during the night’s penultimate song, “Ain’t Talkin’ Bout Love,” was redolent with charm. The effect for the audience was akin to rooting for an underdog who long ago became the leader of the pack.

The show ended, to no one’s surprise, with “Jump,” a trifle of a song from “1984” that also may have been the original lineup’s biggest hit. The song’s trademark keyboard riff was piped in from somewhere off-stage, but that didn’t seem to matter much. As the band struck its final note, and as Roth sang his last lyric of the night, the front half of the arena was blanketed with a hail of red and white confetti, shot forth from two large cannons near the front of the stage. It rained down in thick clumps, with Roth standing on the edge of the stage and manically waving a red-and-white checkered flag. The show was over. The race with the past had been won.
                  Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• vandeleur
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Sep 2009

Cheers for the vids momshell
                    fuck your fucking framing

Comment

• vandeleur
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Sep 2009

It can be hard to tell on the vids on an iPhone but daves sounding good to me on those

Comment

• VAiN
                        Use my hand, I won't look
                        ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by Momshell
                        No Women In Love either - looking forward to that - sounds like it was a pretty funny moment!
                        It really was.. I thought maybe it was just me, then I noticed the look between Dave and Eddie. Just a classic moment. Loose and fun. I hope this show turns up on DVD as well.
                        Originally posted by wiseguy
                        That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• vandeleur
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Sep 2009

Hopefully a YouTube will turn up of women in love

Comment

• VAiN
                            Use my hand, I won't look
                            ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

Originally posted by sob33316
                            Vain,

did you and john have fun in the box? how was the pre-party at tiki?
                            I didn't get off work til almost 6....sorry i couldn't make it by.
                            Always a good time! Whats not to love about a tiki hut? Stayed there till about 8. Walked in to the suite and VH was on about 10 min later..

Originally posted by wiseguy
                            That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by vandeleur
                              Hopefully a YouTube will turn up of women in love

Probably safer not to Google that from work...

Comment

• vandeleur
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Sep 2009

Comment

Working...