Official 2/22 Indianapolis Meetup/Review Thread

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fourthcoming

Originally posted by SNIPER
    Funny, who ever thought you would ever hear of VH doing these live ever again? I did not see this one coming. They must have been jamming like mother fuckers at 5150 is all got to say!!
    I agree....I figured the set list would pretty much stay the same as 07-08 with a few ADKOT tunes thrown in.....but mixing it up like this tells me they must have rehearsed extensively. In 07-08 perhaps Wolfie didn't quite have the whole 6 pack down pat. 5 days till MSG....can't wait!!!

Comment

• 78/84 guy
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by kwame k
      The fact is most Live albums are doctored up in a studio before being released so as long as the footage is clear they could do the Industry Standard thing and you'd have your DVD, sorta live!
      That's true. I would be more worried about a dvd release because you have the visual to look at. And Dave would have to be careful to resing stuff to match up whats on the video. He never sings anything the same.

Comment

• SNIPER
        Crazy Ass Mofo
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
        The fact is most Live albums are doctored up in a studio before being released so as long as the footage is clear they could do the Industry Standard thing and you'd have your DVD, sorta live!
        I watched a thing on Kiss Alive that almost everything was redone. Kind of ruined the album for me knowing that. But yeah, all live releases are doctored up a lot. As long as the drums are good. You are correct sir.

Comment

• SNIPER
          Crazy Ass Mofo
          • Jun 2004

I think Sam bitched in his book (Yes, I read the Van Hagar chapter) That he had to re-do all his Vox for that live album they did. Go figure. May because you suck Sam! Ha!

Comment

• RealTwisted
            Groupie
            • Jun 2004

About Dave's Singing... Is what it is. He has never been known as a great singer... but as an entertainer that is the face and voice of Van Halen. He plays off Eddie and Alex, and does an excellent job of it. There was an interview about 20 years ago where he made this exact point. He is not going to be polished, that isnt Van Halen. Van Halen is hard, powerful and rough around the edges. They come out and knock you off your seat like a freight train.... and a freight train will always have the clanks as well.
            "I wanna take this time to say that this is real whiskey here... the only people who put iced tea in Jack Daniel's bottles is The Clash, baby!"

Comment

• 78/84 guy
              Crazy Ass Mofo
              • Apr 2005

I watched a thing on Kiss Alive that almost everything was redone. Kind of ruined the album for me knowing that. But yeah, all live releases are doctored up a lot. As long as the drums are good. You are correct sir.
              I think Sam said the brothers rerecorded almost all of the 91 live album. He said he wanted to kill them because he had to resing most of it watching the video.
              Last edited by 78/84 guy; 02-23-2012, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                Crazy Ass Mofo
                • Apr 2005

I think Sam bitched in his book (Yes, I read the Van Hagar chapter) That he had to re-do all his Vox for that live album they did. Go figure. May because you suck Sam! Ha!
                I guess we think alike !! Funny I thought of that also.

Comment

• chi-town324
                  Crazy Ass Mofo
                  • Feb 2007

getting a little nervous about the next show here in chicago.....the acoustics in the united center are for shit...which isnt going to help his voice...i think he should have a hand held mic at least part of the show

Comment

• fourthcoming

Kiss Dressed to Kill, Kiss Alive and VHII were the first records my parents bought me when I was a little kid a million years ago. I heard the same thing about Kiss Alive and it kinda ruined it for me a little bit too. I also heard that Peter Chris' drums were the only thing left virtually untouched on Alive which made me happy being a drummer. BTW if anyone wants to check out my crappy band live, feel free to rip us apart or not....check out 4th coming live@ lulu's on youtube.....im playing drums and singing all the leads. If I suck.....let me have it!!!!
                    Last edited by Guest; 02-23-2012, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• SNIPER
                      Crazy Ass Mofo
                      • Jun 2004

Dude, You are a solid player. Nice kit too.

Comment

• fourthcoming

Dude, You are a solid player. Nice kit too.
                        Thanks man....very nice of you to say...right back atcha for that matter. i remember checking out a video you posted in here. I would like to say that's my kit but it was a buddy of mine who's kit I used that night. I usually prefer to play with two toms and a floor tom. We were opening up for C.J. Ramone that night and Myself, another band and C.J.'s drummer all used that kit to speed things up a bit on stage. It was a very nice kit...the dude who brought it owns a drum shop here on Long island....kit was geared more for a punk band. Took me a while to be comfortable playing and singing simultaneously. I remember you mentioning your band was working on something with a release date coming soon....definitely keep me posted bro.

Comment

• FALCO
                          Groupie
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
                          I think it sounds fine when compared to this.
                          Respectfully disagree... I think this vid (for me) is a standard for HAIL... while he may not be singing it like the record, he still sounds good... again, there is NO area in this song that requires 2012 Dave to go into that high whiny register... he is killing his voice for no reason...
                          As someone who has been singing for 29 years, I still find it INSANE that he is trying to go HIGHER when if he kept that whiskey baritone he would be fine... and from what I am hearing of his voice, I don't know if it will get better... almost seems to me like there is an actual problem there...
                          He is really straining on parts he never did before... it seems when he leaves his comfort zone that he is really struggling to catch on to a note, and his voice is bouncing all over the place (which many singers have experienced when sick, vocal chords strained, etc.)
                          I also think the headset switch may be affecting him, since for almost 40 years he has sung one way, and now he is trying something completely different and the comfort factor may be throwing him off and he doesn't realize it...
                          And don't think this is the first time he has sung the tune... I'm sure they have been in rehearsal HARD for this, going over all these tunes... they are HIS songs in NOT a hard or high key to sing in... just seems strange...

My issue (since this IS a DISCUSSION) forum, is that he is changing things up too much, especially since the band seems to be nailing all these songs in the traditional sense... just a bit disappointed since in 07/08 his vocals were strong, and here they sound very frail at moments...

And YES, a concert is a moment in time, and enjoying it at that moment is the best thing one should do... however, once looking back (if one chooses) you can't argue that what doesn't sound good really is good... it's called a critique and opinion and everyone is free to differ I guess...

\m/ \m/
                          Last edited by FALCO; 02-23-2012, 07:08 PM.
                          NEW Wicked Maraya coming in 2015!!!
                          'Lifetime In Hell' (unreleased 1991) and 2 NEW songs!!!
                          "A little more volume in the headphones please..."

Comment

• SNIPER
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by FALCO
                            Respectfully disagree... I think this vid (for me) is a standard for HAIL... again, there is NO area in this song that requires 2012 Dave to go into that high whiny register... he is killing his voice for no reason...
                            As someone who has been singing for 29 years, I still find it INSANE that he is trying to go HIGHER when if he kept that whiskey baritone he would be fine... and from what I am hearing of his voice, I don't know if it will get better... almost seems to me like there is an actual problem there...
                            He is really straining on parts he never did before... it seems when he leaves his comfort zone that he is really struggling to catch on to a note, and his voice is bouncing all over the place (which many singers have experienced when sick, vocal chords strained, etc.)
                            I also think the headset switch may be affecting him, since for almost 40 years he has sung one way, and now he is trying something completely different and the comfort factor may be throwing him off and he doesn't realize it...
                            And don't think this is the first time he has sung the tune... I'm sure they have been in rehearsal HARD for this, going over all these tunes... they are HIS songs in NOT a hard or high key to sing in... just seems strange...

My issue (since this IS a DISCUSSION) forum, is that he is changing things up too much, especially since the band seems to be nailing all these songs in the traditional sense... just a bit disappointed since in 07/08 his vocals were strong, and here they sound very frail at moments...

And YES, a concert is a moment in time, and enjoying it at that moment is the best thing one should do... however, once looking back (if one chooses) you can't argue that what doesn't sound good really is good... it's called a critique and opinion and everyone is free to differ I guess...

\m/ \m/
                            And I would have to agree with everything you just said. ...But, I also think it's a fine start for them playing it live again after 30 years.

Comment

• David Lee Rocks
                              Sniper
                              • Jan 2004

i Listened to Women In Love from opening night and Dave sounds pretty good on that one, maybe he had a bad night last night, just sayin

Comment

• FALCO
                                Groupie
                                • Jun 2004

And I would have to agree with everything you just said. ...But, I also think it's a fine start for them playing it live again after 30 years.
                                The 3 Twins, YES... absolutely... just sat and watched all the different HAIL vids on the tube...

I am equally as blown away as to how good EVH, AVH, and WVH are sounding (tight, mean, like they REALLY took advantage of being locked up in 5150 since the last tour) as to how shocked I am at how out of key DLR is... I mean, there are some parts he is not even close...
                                He is a good singer... he proved that last tour (he blew me away at how prepared and fucking Rock God he was) but something now is just not right... and as a HUGE David Lee Roth fan, this actually hurts watching...

\m/ \m/
                                NEW Wicked Maraya coming in 2015!!!
                                'Lifetime In Hell' (unreleased 1991) and 2 NEW songs!!!
                                "A little more volume in the headphones please..."

Comment

Working...