X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jagermeister
    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by Guitar Shark
    There's something to be said for seeing a show mid-tour, when most of the kinks are worked out. But, there's a certain "routine" that also sets in by that point - less spontaneity, less enthusiasm sometimes. So there's a tradeoff.

Is it just me, or does it seem like the band is actually noticing some of what is posted here and at other sites, and adjusting accordingly? I distinctly remember seeing posts about how fans wanted to see GGB and HAIL played live, and then suddenly... there they are! Coincidence? Maybe, but I do believe the band is listening to its fan base for the first time in a long time. It's awesome.

I hope they are nor listening now. All They are hearing form some of us is how bad Dave is singing. Which I will say again is complete bull shit.

Comment

• SparkieD
      Veteran
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ZahZoo
      You can't really tie the headset microphone usage to a hearing problem...

... So actually Dave should be able to hear way better than if they had those floor monitor speakers sending the sound up at him on stage.
      So what you're saying is that, yes, we can tie using the headset to a hearing problem. If he can hear better with them, it would make perfect sense.

BTW, my comment has nothing to do with any "singing issues." I'm digging the hell outta what I'm hearing, and not trying to pick apart anything that others are perceiving as negative. Glitches happen, especially early in a tour.
      Originally posted by Tiki-Tom You're one classy tattooed bombshell in my book.
      Originally posted by rustoffa
      Three words. WE WERE THERE.

Comment

• rocknrolldork
        Foot Soldier
        • Jun 2004

I forgot to add... Whoever said Dave needs to lose the headset and get a floor wedge. Lose the headset yes, but fuck wedges. IEMs are def the way to go. Dave is far better off with IEMs than he ever would be with a wedge.
        Last edited by rocknrolldork; 02-24-2012, 10:05 AM.

Comment

• Jagermeister
          Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by rocknrolldork
          I forgot to add... Whoever said Dave needs to lose the headset and get a floor wedge. Lose the headset yes, but fuck wedges. IEMs are def the way to go. Dave is far better of with IEMs than he ever would be with a wedge.
          I said that and I disagree.

Comment

• Dave's PA Rental
            Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
            I hope they are nor listening now. All They are hearing form some of us is how bad Dave is singing. Which I will say again is complete bull shit.
            I didn't say that Dave is singing badly. I said (and I think that Elvis agrees with me) that most of Dave's performance is very good-to-great! But it's those distracting sections of songs that "take me out of the moment" that keeps his performance from being ALL GREAT.

Dave is a genius, a master entertainer, and I think a tremendous musician. That is why I am surprised and confused at what he is doing. To use some sports analogies: Dave needs to just "skate his lane" and stop trying to hit a 6-run homerun with his voice everytime.

It's just my opinion, bro.
            Maybe this is what a heroine addict feels like after getting a long awaited fix, shooting up in the corner of some abandoned building and just not giving a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks...TATTOO"

Comment

• Von Halen
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Listen people, Dave has ALWAYS been the weak link. Or at least PERCEIVED as the weak link. For me personally, if it's perfect, it's NOT Van Halen. These are the same guys that left glaring and obvious mistakes on their albums. Were those mistakes as easy to fix as today? No. But they still could have been fixed. VH chose to leave those mistakes on vinyl. CHOSE to. It is part of their allure. Do I like the way Dave is singing every part of every song? No. But I'll tell you what, I closed my eyes at the Palace show the other night, and I went to a place I have not been since 1984. Fucking magic. If you weren't there in 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982 and 1984, you just MIGHT NOT get it. Some of you will, but others won't. That's ok. If you are a true fan of this band, and their music truly moves you, I challenge you to go to a show, and walk out with some of the same hatred I am seeing spewed here in regards to Dave's performance. I really doubt you can do it. Like I, you might walk out thinking about the few spots Dave sounded like shit. But overall, you are going to be walking out with the biggest smile ever. You are going to know you just got ass raped by the baddest motherfucking rock and roll band on the planet, and you LIKED it!

Van Halen has never put on a perfect live show. But they have always put on the BEST live show.

Comment

• ELVIS
                Banned
                • Dec 2003

I didn't say that Dave is singing badly. I said (and I think that Elvis agrees with me) that most of Dave's performance is very good-to-great! But it's those distracting sections of songs that "take me out of the moment" that keeps his performance from being ALL GREAT.

Dave is a genius, a master entertainer, and I think a tremendous musician. That is why I am surprised and confused at what he is doing. To use some sports analogies: Dave needs to just "skate his lane" and stop trying to hit a 6-run homerun with his voice everytime.

It's just my opinion, bro.

And I agree totally...

Comment

• rocknrolldork
                  Foot Soldier
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jagermeister
                  I said that and I disagree.
                  Help me understand this please. How would he be better off struggling to hear himself? I've played some pretty big stages with high volume, side fills and wedges and always had issues hearing my vox no matter how long it took to work on the levels. Even multiple nights with the same road crew and gear. The worst part is hearing the snapback from the back of the room. IEMs eliminated all those issues and kept the stage clean. So how would a wedge help at all.

Comment

• ELVIS
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Von Halen
                    Van Halen has never put on a perfect live show. But they have always put on the BEST live show.
                    I totally agree and I do get...

The money I've put out on Van Halen over the years is a good indicator that I get it, not to mention my dedication to the Army...

I just think it's silly that posting observations on a website and critiquing this or that is frowned upon by so many...

I'm not in the dick sucking crowd that says everything is stellar and epic when clearly it is not...

But, V A N H A L E N is bringing it live in front of our naked, steaming eyes, and I wouldn't miss it for the world !!

Comment

• Jagermeister
                      Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by rocknrolldork
                      Help me understand this please. How would he be better off struggling to hear himself? I've played some pretty big stages with high volume, side fills and wedges and always had issues hearing my vox no matter how long it took to work on the levels. Even multiple nights with the same road crew and gear. The worst part is hearing the snapback from the back of the room. IEMs eliminated all those issues and kept the stage clean. So how would a wedge help at all.
                      Simple. He has done it almost his intire career. And no disrespet to you but they have sound guys that make sure that shit works the way it should. Did they use IEMs in 07-08? I don't think they did but I may be wrong.

Comment

• So this is love
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2012

Wow its groundhog day. Same ol shit different day.
                        Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• vh rides again
                          Commando
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by ELVIS
                          I totally agree and I do get...

The money I've put out on Van Halen over the years is a good indicator that I get it, not to mention my dedication to the Army...

I just think it's silly that posting observations on a website and critiquing this or that is frowned upon by so many...

I'm not in the dick sucking crowd that says everything is stellar and epic when clearly it is not...

But, V A N H A L E N is bringing it live in front of our naked, steaming eyes, and I wouldn't miss it for the world !!

I agree

I dunno about a couple of these vids, it's like Dave can't hear himself on a couple song and is singing way out of tune.
                          But then they did panama, rwtd and Romeo d like champions.

I think everyone has to take it for what it is, it's a recording of a live show, you would really have to be there to appreciate it.

I have been to a lot of concerts in my days and very rarely do I walk away saying that anyone sounded stellar.

In my opinion, nobody can compete with judas priest in the live sound department .
                          You wanna hear bad? I've seen guns and roses 3 times and I'm here to tell you that asshole rose cannot sing, at all. I've seen chicks in bars sing better than he does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Roth And Roll
                          Last edited by vh rides again; 02-24-2012, 10:41 AM.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by DlocRoth
                            Not apologizing for Dave here. He does sound a bit rough at times, but I think he's battling a cold.....

He's been coughing since at least the Wha? show....

He was clearing his throat during Women in Love.

Just sayin.
                            I think they're ALL battling a cold....

Ed has been blowing his nose even since the Cafe Wha? show, including this past show in Indy....

Al was sniffling all through that VH Interview....
                            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• kwame k
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan

Ed has been blowing his nose even since the Cafe Wha? show, including this past show in Indy....

OMG! OMG!

What if it's not a cold and they're all doing coke again!!!!!!!!

I better start a new thread about this in the Main
                              Originally posted by vandeleur
                              E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Vinnie Velvet
                                Full Member Status

• Feb 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan

Let's not go there.

Spammy McFaggot will get wind of this and say "..they are not even healthy for the tour. I give my fans 110% and they know it. I make sure I am in the best of shape. I will make sure I am not sick before I start a show....."
                                =V V=
                                ole No.1 The finest
                                EAT US AND SMILE

Comment

Working...