X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• chi-town324
      Crazy Ass Mofo
      • Feb 2007

glad to read such great reviews

Comment

• Von Halen
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Dec 2003

Magic!

That's the best word I can use to describe the show. Great setlist. Great performances.

Edward Van Halen - Still a rock guitar fucking God!

Wolfgang Van Halen - Definitely coming into his own, and very comfortable playing anything from the past or the present.

Alex Van Halen - Is a drum solo a drum solo when Alex fucking Van Halen is playing it, or what?

Diamond Dave - The greatest fucking front man in the history of rock and roll.

Girl Gone Bad? Are you fucking kidding me? Wow!

I of course took some pics, but will have to get them downloaded later to see how or if they turned out. I didn't take many, as I just wanted to soak in the performances.

Comment

• DONNIEP
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by guwapo_rocker
          Did your computer see Van Halen back in the day?
          Nope, I just posted in the wrong thread...I blame the alcohol
          American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Seshmeister
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by va beach vh fan
            #gnash !

Comment

• TJMKID
              Veteran
              • Mar 2004

I still can't find "Girl Gone Bad" from the Palace show on YouTube ---- someone had to record that ---- PLEASE POST IT ASAP !!!

Comment

• MUSICMANN
                Sniper
                • Apr 2004

I keep reading about how some of you are a bit disappointed in Dave's vocals. Let's all remember that this is not a autotuned pop band. lt's perfectly ok to hit a flat note or sing out of key sometimes, makes Dave human and real. VH has always been about the, in the moment over the top kick you in the teeth type of show. The band is playing tight and Dave is doing what he does best. I can guarantee that back in the day Dave didn't hit every note and the band didn't play as tight every night. We live in such a digital and to the minute world now, if it would have been like that back in the day VH or any band would have never been able to survive for any amount of time. I say, go to the shows or if you can't watch video's and just sit back and take in the raw and realness that this band is bringing and have brought for many years.

Comment

• FALCO
                  Groupie
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by MUSICMANN
                  I keep reading about how some of you are a bit disappointed in Dave's vocals. Let's all remember that this is not a autotuned pop band. lt's perfectly ok to hit a flat note or sing out of key sometimes, makes Dave human and real. VH has always been about the, in the moment over the top kick you in the teeth type of show. The band is playing tight and Dave is doing what he does best. I can guarantee that back in the day Dave didn't hit every note and the band didn't play as tight every night. We live in such a digital and to the minute world now, if it would have been like that back in the day VH or any band would have never been able to survive for any amount of time. I say, go to the shows or if you can't watch video's and just sit back and take in the raw and realness that this band is bringing and have brought for many years.
                  With all due RESPECT ( and I mean that... I'm not one of the serial flamers here) I totally agree with part of that statement... hitting a bum note or out of key once in a while of course happens (been singing for 29 years, happens lol) ...
                  However, the problem here is Dave is completely changing the melody lines and singing in a register that the songs were NEVER in (a HIGHER ONE???) ... combined that with the fact that quite honestly he CANNOT even hit that range, is I am sure what is driving many of us Rothtards crazy...
                  AND as I have mentioned on a different thread... while Dave may not have "performed" every song the way they were recorded back "in the day", he still "sang" them in the proper key and he sounded good, whether it was just a "whooo" or a mumble of a verse...

What he is doing now is just, for me, UNEXPLAINABLE... I want Dave to the MAN up there... and this is not him being that (on some songs... others he is in control and sounds ok) ...

I don't feel I am "hating" because I am NOT a Ronald McDonald fan... it's Dave or Grave... but I can be objective and know what I am hearing...

He needs to keep the mid range swagger and stop straining... because he may not make it through the tour if he keeps doing that... just sounds like there is more going on with his voice than meets the eye...

Obviously still looking forward to seeing them live in April, but just being honest about what I'm vibing on...

\m/ \m/
                  NEW Wicked Maraya coming in 2015!!!
                  'Lifetime In Hell' (unreleased 1991) and 2 NEW songs!!!
                  "A little more volume in the headphones please..."

Comment

• Jagermeister
                    Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by Von Halen
                    Magic!

That's the best word I can use to describe the show. Great setlist. Great performances.

Edward Van Halen - Still a rock guitar fucking God!

Wolfgang Van Halen - Definitely coming into his own, and very comfortable playing anything from the past or the present.

Alex Van Halen - Is a drum solo a drum solo when Alex fucking Van Halen is playing it, or what?

Diamond Dave - The greatest fucking front man in the history of rock and roll.

Girl Gone Bad? Are you fucking kidding me? Wow!

I of course took some pics, but will have to get them downloaded later to see how or if they turned out. I didn't take many, as I just wanted to soak in the performances.
                    Right On!

Comment

• So this is love
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2012

MusicMann and Falco... You are both right, and this ain`t the `80s anymore and they were never perfect in the first place, if you want perfection listen to the record and if you want to party just go to the show, I am spending my hard earned money on both and its my choice, you will never see me at a Madonna concert. I live with the flaws and this world isn`t perfect, enjoy VH live as it might be the last time you see them as it is.
                      Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• ELVIS
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2003

Maybe Dave is trying to get his scream to emerge...

Comment

• Jagermeister
                          Full Member Status

• Apr 2010

Originally posted by ELVIS
                          Maybe Dave is trying to get his scream to emerge...
                          I think you people are picking fly shit out of pepper. Dave use to forget the words to songs back in the day.

Comment

• Matt White
                            • Jun 2004

Maybe he's hoping if he sings a bit "off" that GHEY closeted van haggis fans will piss & moan...and stay home listening to "Love Comes Walking IN" and "Ooooh" and "ahhhh" to the pristine vocals and brilliant background vocals..................

Fucking Hair farmers........................................... ...............................

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

It's the difference between a bunch of 40 somethings quietly watching songs on YouTube at work and misremembering what it sounded like 25 years ago when they were at a gig wasted at 120 decibels.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

A reminder until last nights version appears...

Comment

Working...