X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ZahZoo
    It ain't the room's sound acoustics driving Dave to sing the way he is... he wouldn't hear it anyways. His ear monitors are coming right off the sound board on the side of the stage.

If his voice were a racing engine... he's running it way too lean and above red line. Only a short matter of time and it'll go up in smoke.
    Or it will go from an irritating shrill to an all out balls to the walls scrrreeeaaaammmmm !!!!

Comment

• RealTwisted
      Groupie
      • Jun 2004

I'm thinking concern for Dave's voice is why they don't play on consecutive nights at any point on this tour, as well as several 4-5 day breaks. This will go a long way to helping him later in the tour when singers often suffer from rawness in the voice.

The reason bands like the ear pieces is that each member can have their own tailored mix, such as wolfie might have a drum heavier mix than Dave would... Alex would have higher bass. Also, the mix follows them werever they go on stage.
      "I wanna take this time to say that this is real whiskey here... the only people who put iced tea in Jack Daniel's bottles is The Clash, baby!"

Comment

• kwame k
        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by hambon4lif
        That's the one thing I miss about the pre-internet days. Nobody sat around splitting every single ass hair of every single show. If I wanted technical proficiency, I'd go to the fuckin' opera...or Queensryche. LOL!

This is Van Halen, and if they're up there having a good time, then the chicks in the audience are bumpin' and grindin' and having a good time, which means I'm having a good time.
        I really couldn't give any less of a shit about anything else.
        Exactly

When I was getting ready to hit the road yesterday I was packing my Jeep and I ran back in the house in a panic looking for my vid/camera and a small notebook so I could get pics/vids and write down the set list......with the intent of posting pics, vids and the set list here, right after the concert!

I literally stopped and said to myself......why am I doing this? Why do I have to be the guy that misses the show by video taping and reporting the set list?

I'm sure everyone here would appreciate it and I'd have a digital record of a show I just saw.....through a view finder none the less but then it occurred to me. I'll have the memories of that show playing over and over in my head and little snippets of things will just pop into my head....just like in the old days!

So I left everything in the car out in the parking lot.....didn't even take my cell phone with me.

I have my memories and my ticket stub......that was good enough for me 25 years ago and is still good enough for me 25 years later!
        Originally posted by vandeleur
        E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• kwame k
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by RealTwisted
          I'm thinking concern for Dave's voice is why they don't play on consecutive nights at any point on this tour, as well as several 4-5 day breaks. This will go a long way to helping him later in the tour when singers often suffer from rawness in the voice.

The reason bands like the ear pieces is that each member can have their own tailored mix, such as wolfie might have a drum heavier mix than Dave would... Alex would have higher bass. Also, the mix follows them werever they go on stage.
          Most older bands nowadays don't do consecutive nights.....it makes sense and when you're in your 50's you need more rest between gigs.

Now just a general point and this is not directed at you RT!!!!!!!!!

Dave was better last night, vocally, then I've seen him in years! For every one clunker he'd hit, [and there wasn't many] he'd hit a vocal that just blew your hair back.

Maybe it's the mics on these cell phones, maybe it's the background noise but being there, he sounded 110% over all.

So the 2% of the mistakes he made....means he gave a 108% performance!

I'm cool with that
          E- Jesus . Playing both sides because he didnt understand the argument in the first place

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by kwame k
            I literally stopped and said to myself......why am I doing this? Why do I have to be the guy that misses the show by video taping and reporting the set list?
            Dick....

I know what you mean though, I missed quite a bit at The Forum show when texting and taking pics....
            Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by RealTwisted
              and Ed's hip, and Al's neck...
              Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• kwame k
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                Dick....

I know what you mean though, I missed quite a bit at The Forum show when texting and taking pics....
                Dick, really

It's totally understandable why you had to do it.....it was an exclusive show and you were representing the Army, you really didn't have a choice and people would never of forgiven you if you hadn't, me included

I agree though that it really distracts from the show if you're trying to record it and texting at the same time.....which for me wasn't an issue since other people would record it and it was the 2nd show....so the pressure was off.

There was a spot [can't remember which song] where Wolfie's jamming over by Ed and he does a mock hammer-on run like his dad did a few seconds earlier.....just to fuck with his dad. They both had huge grins on their faces and Ed loved it!

You'd miss little things like that trying to keep everyone up to date!

Comment

• ZahZoo
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Mr Walker
                  Are there a lot of colored people at the show to see Kool And The Gang?
                  just wondering.
                  I noticed from the videos posted just a couple of blues, handful of greens, gaggle of purples and various shades of pink all over the venue...
                  "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• damngoodtimes
                    Sniper
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                    Dick....

that's exactly how Louisville was for me. Shit, though, the army has been good to me, so I figured I'd return the favor.
                    David Lee Roth's the greatest motherfucker who ever lived!
                    — Brian Moore (@brianpmoore666) June 26, 2012

Comment

• ELVIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2003

I noticed from the videos posted just a couple of blues, handful of greens, gaggle of purples and various shades of pink all over the venue...
                      You trying to copy me ??

Comment

• speedtruckermf
                        Groupie
                        • Mar 2004

I think he meant black people. ( I think we can use that word here)

Comment

• kwame k
                          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Sensible Shoes
                          And he looks so old!
                          What do you mean I look old?

I still get ID'd when I'm buying beer!

Comment

• SNIPER
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jun 2004

old

Comment

• SNIPER
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by kwame k
                              What do you mean I look old?

I still get ID'd when I'm buying beer!
                              I get carded when the clerk is in their 60's

Comment

• kwame k
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Feb 2008

Hell, they still card me for smokes, too!

Of course having long hair probably doesn't help matters any

Comment

Working...