Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mishar_McLeud
    Head Fluffer
    • Apr 2004

I think the main reason he wasn't mentioned as a great voice because he wasn't a great frontman neither in his solo career, neither in VH. That doesn't make him a bad singer, simply because he has a very high range, he can use his voice live and he has unique recognizable vibes, but once again - which fit his own, not a 'legendary' style. I'm not surprised he's not enrolled in any list (at least not in top 10) 'cause he's more of a 'party' singer, and he's never written/sang songs like 'Stairway' or 'Child in Time' or 'Rhapsody' or whatever.

BTW, HSAS - terrible?? Well, that's confusing :confused:
    'If there isn't something crazy that goes on in the span of the day then something's not right', - Zakk Wylde

Comment

• Matt White
      • Jun 2004

"Party Vibe"?!?! On what, Give to Live???
      The guy tried to step into DAVE'S Shoes and found his tiny little hooves didn't fit. The guy doesn't have a good voice, and he hasn't written a memorable tune in a 30+ year career. I just find alot of humor in those who think he has some "remarkable" voice. Totaly unfounded claim.

Comment

• Mishar_McLeud
        Head Fluffer
        • Apr 2004

Party Vibe on 'Angel's Eyes'?

I've ment overall catalogue, not some single tunes (although despite how much this one is flamed here, Eagles Fly is a memorable tune). And IMO you can like or dislike the guy, but he has a great voice, he covers notes other singers find hard to reach with falsetto (ie Salvation on Sand Hill), and he hasn't lost his pipes in years (I like his latest solo stuff voice-wise more than anything he's done pre-and in VH).

And what goes for remarkable part, I can't get how singers like Bon Scott get any credit when every second band like Motley Crue or Quiet Riot sound just like him.
        'If there isn't something crazy that goes on in the span of the day then something's not right', - Zakk Wylde

Comment

• Matt White
          • Jun 2004

"Falsetto"?!? He doesn't have a range like Freddy Mercury. He doesn't have much range. He can't hit notes "others find hard". He's a one trick pony. I'm sure he does his share of Scattin', but that has nothing to do with singing for Spam!
          The boots from the 2004 FLEECE THE SHEEP tour clearly demonstrate that the 'old guy CAN'T hit the high notes anymore. Too much refer & Cheap booze. His age is showin', it happens to the best as well as the extremely average like hagar.

As for BON SCOTT, a true LEGEND, the fact that you don't "get" him is a clear indication that there is no point in cuntinuing this debate.

Comment

• Knucklebones
            Head Fluffer
            • Nov 2004

Van Hagar a party band? WTF?

Last I knew, Van Halen with David Lee Roth was the one that made everyone wanna party.

Van Hagar was what you play when you want everyone's dick to shrivel up and leave.

Comment

• Apollo
              Roadie
              • Mar 2004

I dont like Sammy very much. Actually I hate the guy. But I dont think he's a bad singer.

Comment

• Matt White
                • Jun 2004

Spam hagar is an AVERAGE/-BELOW AVERAGE rock singer. Very little blues influence, very little soul. Not great range. The guy has been stuck with a high pitched voice and doesn't have a bottom end. THe old guy now can't hit the high notes. Add the fact the he hasn't written a memorable lyric in 30+ ears, and you have a truly laughable character.
                I just get a laugh out of the MYTH that this clown has a GREAT voice.
                BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Mishar_McLeud

I've ment overall catalogue, not some single tunes (although despite how much this one is flamed here, Eagles Fly is a memorable tune). And IMO you can like or dislike the guy, but he has a great voice, he covers notes other singers find hard to reach with falsetto (ie Salvation on Sand Hill), and he hasn't lost his pipes in years (I like his latest solo stuff voice-wise more than anything he's done pre-and in VH).
                  No, no he doesn't have a great voice. He has a bland, mediocre vocal style that is essentially second-rate blues-singer mimicking. And I guess somebody has to like his Waborita stuff.

Comment

• Mishar_McLeud
                    Head Fluffer
                    • Apr 2004

Yep, I like his Waborita stuff. If you've listened to 'Karma Wheel' for example I doubt you'd say he's a second-rate blues singer.
                    Have you heard 'Remember the Heroes'?

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Yep, I like his Waborita stuff. If you've listened to 'Karma Wheel' for example I doubt you'd say he's a second-rate blues singer.
                      Have you heard 'Remember the Heroes'?
                      I am proud to say NO!

Comment

• flappo
                        Banned
                        • Jan 2004

sammy hagar is a roger daltrey wanabee , simple as that

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by flappo
                          sammy hagar is a roger daltrey wanabee , simple as that
                          That's the truth.

In fact, it just came to mind! I remembering hearing a rumor back around the Van Hagar breakup/Cherone abortion VH3 era. It was said on (VH1 I think) on some rock round table discussion program that is long since gone, that one of the reasons they cut Sammy loose was they felt he could no longer sing live on an extended tour and that he was gaining too much weight to be a frontman.

How true this is I don't know, but there are a few that have heard Sammy era bootlegs and have said his voice has faded.

Comment

• scottydabodi
                            Crazy Ass Mofo
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
                            I know the sister's raved about his "range" when he joined up, but it's complete BULLSHIT.
                            Has ANYBODY other than the sisters or van hagar SHEEp EVER mentioned Spammy when talking about the truly GREAT singers in ROCK?!? Paul Rodgers, Robert Plant, Rodger Daltery, Freddie Mercury,.............???
                            NOBODY thinks that Spam has a great voice, no critic or serious musical publication.
                            Then, how come the SHEEp think that the guy is the second coming of 'ol Blue Eyes?!?! That fat bastard couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, not even mentioning his ABYSMAL song writing. It's a mystery as how this MYTH has been sustained for so long!!!

When is MATT ever wrong? This is ANOTHER 5 STAR POST from the King of all RothHardcores --MATT WHITE. Sam's voice has always been a source of irritation to any rock fan with an IQ over 14. How this guy's career ever got off the ground is of miraculous proportions... early on in Montrose, he was an OK(at best) singer... and he hasn't propelled much farther beyond that OK status since! Mind you that would be OVER 30 YEARS AGO!! Now, as far as the travesty of him winding up as the singer in VH, well, is a whole other ballgame... to hire a blatantly MEDIOCRE singer to replace the GREATEST FRONTMAN OF ALL TIME, then perpetually(over the next 20 years) degradate, insult, and try to destroy the legacy created by your predecessor is just completely CHILDISH. Hagar = Douche.
                            If you listen to fools
                            The Mob Rules

Comment

• scottydabodi
                              Crazy Ass Mofo
                              • Jun 2004

And what goes for remarkable part, I can't get how singers like Bon Scott get any credit when every second band like Motley Crue or Quiet Riot sound just like him.
                              Hey Mishar McMoron, I have a message from Estrada for you:
                              If you listen to fools
                              The Mob Rules

Comment

• tydhurst
                                Commando
                                • Mar 2004

Has anyone seen Hagar MASSACRE "Rock and Roll" on the 1985 Farm Aid performace? Where he hits the top of his range at the beginning of the song, but the notes of the song get higher and he really struggles, it's funny as FUCK!
                                Don't need a gun to blow your mind!

http://tydhurst.proboards30.com

Join my forum.

Comment

Working...