X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hecubus
    Foot Soldier
    • Jan 2004

My main things against Hagar are:

-His voice is too whiny. It never really sounded like it meshed well with Eddie's guitar on more than a handful of tunes & that's pushing it.

-His lyrics are terrible. From Trans Am (we know how it's spelled, Sam, but thanks anyway..) to Dreams to It's About Time (who cares if that song was rushed, my 2 year old could have come up with better words...)

-The tequila. Now I realize that he's invested a lot of time & money in the bars/booze, but it has become his main identity and it's as old as seeing Donovan McNabb's mom all over those fucking chunky soup commercials.

That being said, I recognize that the guy has been a mainstay in the rock & roll world & for that, I say props, just don't do it near my favorite guitar-bass-drums combo anymore, please.
    "Honey, my shirt got itself torn up. My shirt tore itself on that stripper's hand, and I need it to be sewed up for the show."
    "No problem, Dave, no problem. Say hello to Fluffy."
    "Fuck you, Fluffy."
    "No, no, you're going to upset Fluffy."
    "I ain't saying hello to no stuffed bear."
    "You know, now that I think about it, it's going to take a little longer to sew up that shirt than I was thinking."
    "Hi Fluffy, how you been?"
    "Now that I'm thinking of it even more, it's going to take half the time, Double D, Diamond Dave! Would you hold Fluffy?"
    "N--- yeah."

Comment

• Terry
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Sam has a higher natural range than Roth...that's about it.

All of Eddie's blathering about how he didn't have to tune down to E flat or D anymore after 1985 to accomodate Dave's voice. Just utter nonsense, because you can hear the downtuning on plenty of Van Hagar tunes.

Hagar has no bottom-end, and scream for scream Roth matches Sam in terms of octaves.

Hagar has a mid-range voice perfectly suited to his middle-of-the-road lyrics and frontman approach, all of which combine in an average testament to mediocrity.
      Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Terry
        Sam has a higher natural range than Roth...that's about it.

All of Eddie's blathering about how he didn't have to tune down to E flat or D anymore after 1985 to accomodate Dave's voice. Just utter nonsense, because you can hear the downtuning on plenty of Van Hagar tunes.

Hagar has no bottom-end, and scream for scream Roth matches Sam in terms of octaves.

Hagar has a mid-range voice perfectly suited to his middle-of-the-road lyrics and frontman approach, all of which combine in an average testament to mediocrity.
        True. If it took merely a high, falsetto range for singer to be a good rock vocalist, this guy would be the lead singer of Van Hagar:

Comment

• CVHfan
          Roadie
          • Nov 2004

The only thing Hagar ever did that was good was the first Montrose album. Though, having Ronnie playing guitar when he was in his prime really helped. That album was the best 8 songs that Hagar ever did. After that, it is all down hill. He totally went to shit. Solo carrer, Van Hagar. Up Chuck for Breakfast had some of the worst lyrics that I have ever heard. The only thing worse was VHIII

Comment

• Mishar_McLeud
            Head Fluffer
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Hecubus
            My main things against Hagar are:

-His voice is too whiny. It never really sounded like it meshed well with Eddie's guitar on more than a handful of tunes & that's pushing it.

What about intro to BOBW and outro for Rock'n'Roll (both from LWAN) ? His voice is far from whiny, and on those two sounds just like Eddie's guitar tone. Or vox/guitar duel during Panama on Tokyo '89 concert? Or RHRN version of 'When it's Love' where Hagar takes the note I can't hit with falsetto?
            Hagar may be not a good frontman (in someone's opinion), but he's anything but a bad singer.
            'If there isn't something crazy that goes on in the span of the day then something's not right', - Zakk Wylde

Comment

• Mishar_McLeud
              Head Fluffer
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by CVHfan
              The only thing Hagar ever did that was good was the first Montrose album. Though, having Ronnie playing guitar when he was in his prime really helped. That album was the best 8 songs that Hagar ever did. After that, it is all down hill. He totally went to shit. Solo carrer, Van Hagar. Up Chuck for Breakfast had some of the worst lyrics that I have ever heard. The only thing worse was VHIII
              Sammy's voice went better as far as his career went on. Actually he sounds pretty funny to me on Montrose albums, and on Danger Zone. With HSAS he sounded pretty much the same like on 5150 and Ou812. I like his voice post-Balance much more.
              'If there isn't something crazy that goes on in the span of the day then something's not right', - Zakk Wylde

Comment

• tydhurst
                Commando
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Mishar_McLeud
                What about intro to BOBW and outro for Rock'n'Roll (both from LWAN) ? His voice is far from whiny, and on those two sounds just like Eddie's guitar tone. Or vox/guitar duel during Panama on Tokyo '89 concert? Or RHRN version of 'When it's Love' where Hagar takes the note I can't hit with falsetto?
                Hagar may be not a good frontman (in someone's opinion), but he's anything but a bad singer.

ANYONE AGREE???

NO???

Yep, thought so... Wrong forum, sorry!
                Don't need a gun to blow your mind!

http://tydhurst.proboards30.com

Join my forum.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                  SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Someone needs to be inducted to the SHEEP PEN, MISHAR. But I really think you are a higher class of SHEEP. You can have your own dorm room and you get all of your Red Cross care packages (usually Bob, Bill and Merle steal them and break the Van Hagar bootlegs and eat the chocolate chip cookies).

Comment

• Jesterstar
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Jan 2004

I watched Sammy on Cribs when he was trotting around his Cabo Wabo Suck-O.

He started singing to remind people that is what he did. But anyway he starts singing and without alot of production behind him he sounds like a wounded soldier waiting for permission to die after his Guts and Throat were blown up.
                    Seshmeister is such a STUD.........OOOOOOOOOO

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/im...cnesbitt_1.jpg

Comment

• Matt White
                      • Jun 2004

PATHETIC. The guy has lost what little range he had. He sounds like an old woman now.

Comment

• Jesterstar
                        Crazy Ass Mofo
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
                        PATHETIC. The guy has lost what little range he had. He sounds like an old woman now.
                        If that old woman had a Sex change and had it's throat replaced with a cat in heat. then yes your right.

"I can't drive 55" Is the worst song i've ever heard ever. AND I ONCE OWNED A NELSON ALBUM!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Mishar_McLeud
                          Head Fluffer
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                          Someone needs to be inducted to the SHEEP PEN, MISHAR. But I really think you are a higher class of SHEEP. You can have your own dorm room and you get all of your Red Cross care packages (usually Bob, Bill and Merle steal them and break the Van Hagar bootlegs and eat the chocolate chip cookies).
                          You'd be proud to have an EEAS and Skyscraper and YFLM and ALAE posters in that SHEEP PEN . I'd bring them in my room .

Anyway I'll try to avoid Sam-related threads I guess.

Comment

• Matt White
                            • Jun 2004

Point!
                            If you then took that cat in heat, set its genitals on fire, placed it in a burlap bag, and kicked it down the stairs, it STILL would have greater range than SPAM hagar. Even after it died.

Comment

• tydhurst
                              Commando
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Mishar_McLeud
                              You'd be proud to have an EEAS and Skyscraper and YFLM and ALAE posters in that SHEEP PEN . I'd bring them in my room .

Anyway I'll try to avoid Sam-related threads I guess.
                              Good call. It's like returning to hte scene of the crime!
                              Don't need a gun to blow your mind!

http://tydhurst.proboards30.com

Join my forum.

Comment

• Jesterstar
                                Crazy Ass Mofo
                                • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
                                Point!
                                If you then took that cat in heat, set its genitals on fire, placed it in a burlap bag, and kicked it down the stairs, it STILL would have greater range than SPAM hagar. Even after it died.
                                Even if after death the Banshies of hell twist and smash the balls of the dead cat in heat while it's entire body was engulfed in flames while getting throat fucked by the 1977 harlem gloab trotters in the darkest part of hell I'd still think it was better than sammy and would buy that ablbum before any of sammy's projects.

Comment

Working...